Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Smart trainer due to lockdown
  • nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Hey everyone,

I’m looking for a smart turbo trainer to attach my road bike too, as it’s been 2 weeks of lockdown here in Spain and we are not allowed to go anywhere. I need to do some exercise quick but I do not have a solution. I have a Giant Defy 2018 with I believe a 142/12 axle and as I lost loads in the September flood, I’m assuming I don’t have tools to put a cassette on so may need this too, if I cannot buy one with an 11s cassette pre-installed. Can anyone help with where I can buy one, quick, and get the ball rolling.

Thank you very much in advance.

chipps

I’m a big fan of rollers (if you’re a mountain biker) as they’re far more interesting to ride. And Elite does a set with resistance in them https://www.elite-it.com/en/products/home-trainers/interactive-rollers

Which might work as you just use whatever your road bike is running. Although I hear that, being Italian, everything is pretty much shut down, so if you can find some online, great… Or you could run some clever rollers that just run off your back wheel instead of mounting your bike to a cassette.

andrewreay

Elite Suito has an 11 speed Shimano cassette pre-installed, if you can get one delivered. That may work tool free, but [stealth edit] they may fit the cassette without the 142 adaptor, so you may need a tool to remove and fit the spacer, but unsure.

Getting hold of one will be difficult, and apologies if that is what you were asking for, it wasn’t clear from your question.

Tredz Suito

End of April stock for Tredz… if they are to be believed…

BadlyWiredDog

If you can afford one and source one, Wahoo Kickrs come with an 11-speed cassette fitted and complete with a 142/12mm adaptor.

The bad news is that anecdotally there’s s shortage of smart trainers generally. Spring-time would normally be the end of the indoor training season.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Halfords still have stock of some lower end Elite trainers, they support 142×12 but you’ll need a cassette tool and chain whip.

seadog101

As I am the eternal cheapskate:-

What’s the go to method to turn a dump turbo trainer and bike into something smart? Would something like the Topeak Douband Speed and Cadence work with an app like Wahoo?

https://www.topeak.com/us/en/products/sensors/975-duoband-speed-&-cadence-sensor

No power reading obviously, but would get me something measurable.

poah
    Free Member

only need a speed sensor for a dumb trainer but you have to be able to connect it to the ipad (or other tablet) or computer. tablets are bluetooth while you can connect the computer up with an ANT+ dongle.

duckman

Poah, could you expand that answer a wee bit; that’s exactly what I want to do.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Smart trainer due to lockdown’ is closed to new replies.