Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • smart shoes that aren't too smart
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

ah so brogues with jeans is an english thing ? – i assume thats why you were insulting what scotsmen choose to wear 😉 Tis better than a suit anyway.

yunki
    Free Member

ah so brogues with jeans is an english tim nice but dim thing

FTFY

MrSmith
    Free Member

who wears brogues for smart shoes with jeans

People who work in a creative industry and don’t want to look like they work in a bank, I.T. or security.
    People who dislike trainers and think they look like a scruffy/lazy option (along with any clothing item with ‘superdry’ in orange letters across the shoulder)
    People who appreciate proper Goodyear welted shoes and are happy to invest the money in them as they last longer and look better when worn in.

I appreciate it would be a bit odd if everyone wore them, but thankfully white trainers and bland security/police issue footwear is there to make good footwear stand out.
    IME / IMO

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrSmith
    Free Member

ah so brogues with jeans is an english tim nice but dim thing

You need the red trousers, tattersall check shirt and sports jacket for that look
    http://lookatmy*uckingredtrousers.blogspot.co.uk/

drlex
    Free Member

On the subject of chelsea boots can recommend any with rubber soles?

Found plenty from loakes etc with a leather sole but want some with a rubber sole for winter but properly made. Have looked at RM Williams but prices little hard to stomach – are they well made enough to justify price?

Currently have five pairs (think I almost tie with wife for footwear count!) – main tip for longevity is not to wear the same pair more than two days in a row; secondary one is to clean them with the cream.

They are expensive, so I either get them in sales or ask a mate visiting Oz to bring a pair back.

lune
    Free Member

I’m a Red Wing fan, also do rubber soled Chelsea’s

TooTall
    Free Member

i assume thats why you were insulting what scotsmen choose to wear

I’ve met more Surrey Highlanders in that faux-historic garb than anyone else, so mostly insulting people with tenuous Scottish connections rather than Scotsmen per se.

Joe

who wears brogues for smart shoes with jeans

People who work in a creative industry and don’t want to look like they work in a bank, I.T. or security.
    People who dislike trainers and think they look like a scruffy/lazy option (along with any clothing item with ‘superdry’ in orange letters across the shoulder)
    People who appreciate proper Goodyear welted shoes and are happy to invest the money in them as they last longer and look better when worn in.

I appreciate it would be a bit odd if everyone wore them, but thankfully white trainers and bland security/police issue footwear is there to make good footwear stand out.
    IME / IMO

THIS. We go round Soho in our Grenson brogues. You peasants from outside the city got no style.

MrSmith
    Free Member

THIS. We go round Soho in our Grenson brogues. You peasants from outside the city got no style

i was going to say that but didn’t want to upset anyone 🙄

uwe-r
    Free Member

Black shoes and jeans? No no no.

Joe

Me and MrSmith know where its at. No super dry in my wardrobe. Lol at wearing Desert issue boots…you would look like the biggest walt in the world.

jools182
    Free Member

Went for these

Now worried I am going to look like Hammond 😯

yunki
    Free Member

You peasants from outside the city got no style.

see..? tim nice but dims blithely following the status quo..

creative industry.. 😯

pffffffffftttt.. no imagination, smart shoes that aren’t too clever maybe..

(is it clear yet that this is a pet hate of mine..? )

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Creative industry -check
    Brogues – check

These in fact

http://www.grenson.co.uk/en_gb/shop/fred-v-670

These look nice too

http://www.grenson.co.uk/en_gb/shop/spike-5614

MM

yunki
    Free Member

I am getting slightly tempted to look into getting a pair as a result of this thread.. 😳

ourmaninthenorth

Grenson are a shadow of their former selves since the manufacturing went to India. But they are deffo more “on trend” with the kidz than Cheaney or Tricker’s..

I work for a technology company (well known ISP). Jeans and decent shoes are senior management de rigeur.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Skinny/slim fit jeans look alrite with posh shoes, avoid the Clarkson fit jeans though.

cchris2lou

I like Geoxx . very comfy and well made .

MrSmith
    Free Member

Fully aware of the Indian made grensons (Oliver Sweeney make half their range there too) but they are better made than the john whites which are also a Northampton brand, Trickers are a cut above.

Now worried I am going to look like Hammond

I would be more worried about looking like part of a brokeback mountain love triangle. 😯

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Get a nice pair of Red Wings? Or something by Grenson, I just picked up a nice pair of Fred Vs and they look fabulous with a pair of smart jeans darling, and are as comfortable as a pair of trainers. If you’re proper posh have a look at Trickers or Aldens.

crikey
    Free Member

While chuckling at grown ups who struggle to clothe themselves, it occurred to me that a related issue might shed some light on footwear choice for the hard of thinking.

Try looking here:

http://lookatmyfuckingredtrousers.blogspot.co.uk/

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Red Wing moc toe, or how about the middle ground with a pair of Vans from the Vault range, a Sierra Hi maybe.

will
    Free Member

Where is that chap off here who was selling £400 custom shoes & boots…. ?

tinsy
    Free Member

Matalan, have some boots very much like the Steve McQqueen boots for peanuts, very comfy they are too….. Oh and I wear mine with Chino’s for the correct look.

Bought some lovely Loake chelsea boots in the last few months, but am really struggling getting them broken in, shame as I had wanted them for years & £180 was a big investment.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘smart shoes that aren't too smart’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts