Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Smart meters
  • ratherbeintobago

After several years with EDF they’ve informed me my smart meter is now talking to them.

As it’s a few years old I thought this wasn’t possible. Have I missed an OTA software update or something?

stevious

not an expert but when I got a smart meter from Octopus in my previous house they were installing a mix of SMETS1 (older) and SMETS2 (newer) on the understanding that the smart meter network would be upgraded in the near future to work with SMETS1. I suspect that’s what heppened with you.

ButtonMoon

Mine has been offline since June, which is very frustrating when I am trying to monitor my energy consumption…..

Sadly I’m with British Gas and their ‘message us’ in app feature is useless! I’ve requested an engineer to fix it, but I just get waffle.

I think it is a common issue. I refuse to give them my meter readings as they’ll never fix it if I do…

jam-bo

Octopus keep pinging me to get one installed. Is there any good reason not to these days?

I don’t object to them, just never got around to it.

fadda

Question; what’s in it for me if I get a smart meter?
    I’m assuming they’re not so smart as to be able to identify what is using the energy, only the amount of consumption during the day so I can see what comes on when the consumption goes up?
    That and it saves me sending a reading in each month, I guess?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Question; what’s in it for me if I get a smart meter?
    I’m assuming they’re not so smart as to be able to identify what is using the energy, only the amount of consumption during the day so I can see what comes on when the consumption goes up?
    That and it saves me sending a reading in each month, I guess?

You’d see the hourly rate go up straight away when you turn things on, which might be enough to convince people to put the radio on rather than leave the TV news on while they work or something. And if enough people make small changes they all add up. Obviosuly big things like the oven or tumble dryer will have you going HOW MUCH!!!!! when they’re on.

And gives you access to the various peak/off-peak tariffs if you want without needing a new meter.

And no need to extract myself from a teams call to clear a path through the garage for some random bloke to read the meter every 6 months.

stevious

@fadda – honestly, the main thing for most folk is not having to send a meter reading. We had one in our old place (and will get one in our new one) because it lets octopus give us a cheaper tarrif overnight for car charging. We also had Solar PV in our old place so I could look at the monitor and see if it was a good time to run the washing machine/dishwasher etc.

I think more broadly they allow the grid to be run more efficiently, which is probably a good thing for everyone (and the reason why nobody will charge you for one).

dafydd17
    Free Member

I think more broadly they allow the grid to be run more efficiently

Que?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I think more broadly they allow the grid to be run more efficiently

Que?

Allowing time of use tarrifs /intelligent tarrifs so that a large amount of base load can be time shifted to times when there is traditionally low demand ..

You can pay 1/3rd of the price for 3/4/5 hours in the middle of the night or get paid to reduce your use during peak times…..

onewheelgood

get paid to reduce your use during peak times…..

Or just be cut off if the hospital needs the power more than they think you do

fadda

Ooh, food for thought there, thanks. Hadn’t thought about the ability to run the grid more efficiently, and access to tariffs is a good personal benefit – I’m starting to see the point!
    Thanks all

dovebiker

Had one installed a year ago when I called SSE to give a meter reading – they obviously had someone on the island with time to spare as it was done the next day. They then messaged me to say it wasn’t working properly and needed an ‘engineer’ to come and fix it. Cue about 6 appointments/no shows. When I complained they finally admitted they weren’t able to support customers on Mull…because we’re on an island. I still pay the lowest tariff though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Or just be cut off if the hospital needs the power more than they think you do

I guarantee if that needs to happen
    It’ll happen smart meter or not.

You probably.want to get your self.off grid if that’s your concern.

tthew

I refuse to give them my meter readings as they’ll never fix it if I do…

I know this was a few hours ago, but…

This is a high risk strategy. If the estimates are low, when they finally get an accurate meter reading you could be in the hole for many hundreds of pound, particularly with the way power prices are now.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

You have a new message
    Welcome to Octopus
    You have a new message
    Welcome to Octopus
    You have a new message
    Welcome to Octopus
    You have a new message
    Welcome to Octopus
    You have a new message
    Welcome to Octopus
    You have a new message
    Welcome to Octopus
    You have a new message
    Welcome to Octopus
    You have a new message
    Welcome to Octopus
    You have a new message
    Welcome to Octopus
    You have a new message
    Welcome to Octopus
    You have a new message
    Welcome to Octopus
    You have a new message
    Welcome to Octopus

For ever and ever… and it will never, ever stop…

trail_rat
    Free Member

And no need to extract myself from a teams call to clear a path through the garage for some random bloke to read the meter every 6 months.

They still come round once a year….. I didn’t realise this having not seen a meter man for the 12 years I’ve lived here……

He seemed upset I carded him at the door after saying ….yes but I have a smart meter…..

Once he had looked at the meter he then admitted he had been sent to our house specifically as our usage was miles under our normal pattern so they suspected meter bypassing ….. Yes no shit it’s lower – did you see the roof of house ?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

After several years with EDF they’ve informed me my smart meter is now talking to them.

As it’s a few years old I thought this wasn’t possible. Have I missed an OTA software update or something?

Same has happened to me, had one installed in 2020 with the intention of going on octopus agile, but had to throw in the towel as the signal was too weak to communicate regularly with my meter (my TV signal is also weak), so it just became a dumb meter. Got an email a month ago informing me that they were now able to communicate with my meter.

My assumption is that they have installed some new radio Comms kit somewhere nearby to boost the signal for collecting smart meter data, in my case (north) it’s a radio frequency operated by arqiva (if you’re south of approx Sheffield, I believe it’s Telefonica using 2g mobile network).

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

After years of nagging from EDF, I had an EDF one installed in July. The electricity side works, but not the gas. I have reported it to EDF (which was a major challenge in itself) and it apparently requires an Engineer visit. It has been months, and I too am refusing to send meter readings. WHERE IS MY LAND OF MILK AND HONEY?

irc

Every month I get n email from Octopus asking for readings. I click open the link. Walk 4 yards to the cupboard. Enter the readings. And done. No great hardship.

Since the great price increase we have reduced our daily usage from 10-12kWh per day to 6kWh per day. No Smart meter required. Common sense. What uses most power? Reduce tumble drier use. Last time we replaced the kettle we go a glass kettle. Easy to fill with only required water. Pond pump switched off for winter.

Gas usage down 40% this year. Nothing to do with the meter. New boiler. Better controls. Better loft insulation.

I have no need to know on a daily basis how much energy I am using. I use what I need to use and having a Smart meter won’t mean I need to use less.

Just a pity the cost of Smart meters is shared on everyone’s bills and not charged to those that want one.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just a pity the cost of Smart meters is shared on everyone’s bills and not charged to those that want one.

I’m pretty sure that they save money for the providers by not having to pay people to read them.

irc

Perhaps, though I can’t remember the last time we had a meter guy here. If that was the case though the energy companies would be pushing them for themselves rather than pusbhing them because they get fined if they don’t meet targets.

What can it cost to read a meter £5? Once a year? What does a smart meter cost including labour to install? £200? A 40 year break even. The eergy companies get the savings. We pay the costs of installation.

A win/win for the companies I suppose.

geuben
    Free Member

There is an industry wide project to migrate the SMETS1 meters to the same system that SMETS2 use which should make them interoperable between suppliers. It was supposed to be completed in September but as with everything it’s dragging on.

Smart meters are great. Our electricity bill this month is £45. We’re on Octopus Go as we have an EV and home battery. Without a smart meter we’d be stuck on the flat rate tariff. Which at the current 34p/kWh would mean a bill of £200 this month.

Yes smart meters cost more upfront than an dumb meter and maybe the operational cost isn’t cheaper than sending people to read meters. However smart meters allow for better demand shifting; curtailing wind farms costs money, obtaining additional capacity during large peaks costs a lot of money. Without a smart meter there is no way to incentivise/reward home owners for shifting their usage (big business/industry have had half hourly metering for years).

The law (as it stands currently) doesn’t allow your supplier to switch you off on a whim. You’re no more at risk of being disconnected. A court order is still required. It is slightly easier for them to swap you to a prepay setup though.

wbo
    Free Member

Big bonus for me is that I normally charge the car at night on a rate that’s something like 5% of the peak rate at the moment. Haven’t submitted a meter reading in years

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Smart meters are great. Our electricity bill this month is £45. We’re on Octopus Go as we have an EV and home battery. Without a smart meter we’d be stuck on the flat rate tariff. Which at the current 34p/kWh would mean a bill of £200 this month.

Similar here, I paid 17.72p/kWh in October rather than the 34p/kWh price cap, thanks to having a smart meter (octopus tracker v1). Not sure yet what the price will be for November, but at least 8 days in November have been under 20p/kwh.

sharkbait
    Free Member

You’re no more at risk of being disconnected. A court order is still required. It is slightly easier very easy for them to swap you to a prepay setup though.

FTFY

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63554879

footflaps

Improved mobile phone coverage.

A 40 year break even.

The older analogue meters are only good for 10 years IIRC, so they have to swap them out every 10 years regardless.

jam-bo

^^^

My meter was here when I moved in 15yrs ago and at a guess it’s been there for 15yrs prior to that at least.

Smart meter install booked for Thursday morning so we’ll see what they make of it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Improved mobile phone coverage.

If they live north of Sheffield it’s RF comms not mobile phone.

geuben
    Free Member

I should have said the regulatory process was slightly easier. As the article says, suppliers aren’t supposed to change you to prepay without your knowledge. Hopefully ofgem will step in and fine ones that are going rogue, I won’t hold my breath though.

ratherbeintobago

@stevious It must be that – thanks!

@footflaps
    We’ve never had a particular issue with mobile signal here. I’m sure GRPS is more than adequate for these to text in a meter reading and meter number every so often (assuming that’s how they work?)

footflaps

I had assumed they used GRPS, but could be wrong. Given their location – often in an understaff cupboard etc, they’re not exactly in a great location for a signal.

tjagain

The older analogue meters are only good for 10 years IIRC, so they have to swap them out every 10 years regardless.

Mines been in since ’87

revs1972
    Free Member

I should have said the regulatory process was slightly easier. As the article says, suppliers aren’t supposed to change you to prepay without your knowledge. Hopefully ofgem will step in and fine ones that are going rogue, I won’t hold my breath though.

Probably been listening in on Siri/Alexa etc to people saying how they plan not to pay the new massively inflated leccy bills and thought “hold my beer”

I’ll get me tin hat 😉

footflaps

Mines been in since ’87

We’re on our 2nd dumb meter in 22 years, so maybe it’s a bit longer than 10 years.

Or maybe they swap them out more frequently down south….

Meters for industrial and commercial customers are either certified or the supplier reaches agreement with the customer for a meter with a similar level of accuracy to be installed. Certification periods are allocated by OPSS and are restricted to 10 years for newly approved induction meters and for periods of between 10 and 20 years for static meters. Certification periods greater than 10 years (for static meters) are subject to the submission and validation of a component reliability model based on the Siemens Norm SN29500.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/electricity-meter-certification

tjmoore

You can pay 1/3rd of the price for 3/4/5 hours in the middle of the night or get paid to reduce your use during peak times…..

More a case that they can put up prices for peak and claim you’re saving money in so called “off peak”.

The whole project was driven by the savings to the industry of not having to send out someone to read a meter and the ability to charge different rates at different times (originally this was dismissed as would never happen).

A smart meter itself is just a meter in a cupboard. The only thing smart about it is it can in theory talk via a mobile signal to the network to send readings.

The In Home Display part is a gadget that can also talk to your smart meter and shows the meter reading and should show some kind of cost of use, if it’s talking to the supplier to get current rates. Purely optional part of the smart meter install. Billed as the thing that will make people save money but many forget about it once they’re over the novelty stage, or it never worked to begin with it, or they weren’t given one.

A smart meter would never be able to identify the actual devices. That requires all your devices to be smart also and the technology to be open enough for every gadget to talk the same language (it isn’t). Best you can do is switch something on/off and see what it shows before/after.

Though many smart bulbs and some smart switches report power usage, which may or may not be reported in their respective apps, or you can use stuff like Home Assistant if you have a home server (or a Pi) to run it on, and the gadgets are compatible.

footflaps

A smart meter would never be able to identify the actual devices.

Not quite true. We have a 3rd party smart meter thing and one os it’s USPs was it learned your power hungry devices based on their power profile eg Kettle vs Oven etc. It sort of worked, but obv it won’t be able to tell two identical loads apart.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ziXUMB]Neurio Energy By Appliance[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

tjmoore

Mines been in since ’87

Got a digital pre-smart meter, maybe about 2000. Was an old spinning wheel type before that and bet it would still be perfectly fine (seen a few businesses still running those kinds of meters).

Used to be on SSE and when smart meters were rolling out, they gave me all kinds of stories including must be replaced because it could be DANGEROUS! Threats of cutting off, getting a court order to replace it and all that. Ignored it all, switched to Bulb and they said nothing other than adverts saying, “would you like a smart meter”.

Though getting “your meter is old and needs replacing” stuff since Bulb got government owned.

Gas meter is old mechanical dial type.

FuzzyWuzzy

What can it cost to read a meter £5? Once a year?

Are you talking about someone being sent out to read it? If so then way more than that

squirrelking
    Free Member

Maybe if they’re only doing your meter but I’d imagine they will be doing a load in the same area. Unless of course they have the same route planner as DPD.

sanchez89

I’ve been trying to get BG to put one in for us, Computer says no….. and the humans apparently on the other end of it also say no..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.