Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Smart meter but supplier asking me to submit a read?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Just changed over electricity suppliers.

I have a smart meter but received an email today asking me to submit a meter reading on line.

Why on earth would they ask for a manual read on a smart meter?

sarawak
    Free Member

Because your so called dumb meter won’t talk to your new supplier. You are not the first, and you won’t be the last.
    A half baked system foisted on us by Brussels. Guess which other European countries are pressing ahead with this system as relentlessly as we are? Correct. None of them. Stupidity drawn up on a piece of paper by an overpaid, unelected eurocrat.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Even stranger, went on line to submit the reading and it actually has the kwh dated today, which are a few kwh less than now. So they can receive the data. So I have now submitted my read.

MadBillMcMad

Old Smart meters are smets 1 (s1), new are smets 2. S1s are generally tied to a supplier at least for there so called smartness.

But as you’ve found you can still change supplier, they then become ‘dumb’.

If you haven’t gone smart and want to make sure you get a smets 2

mdavids
    Free Member

Make sure you give them the correct reading for your gas. The smart meter installed by my last supplier isn’t compatible with the new supplier. I’ve just given them the gas in kwh instead of m3, was ten times too much

arcing
    Free Member

One of the worse implementations ever surely. I had my smart meters installed in March through Bulb, and the electric one still isn’t sending readings (despite the gas working fine, which apparently piggy backs on the electric meter to transmit the readings). Because I have a smart meter I now can’t submit reading through their app or online, I need to email them in!

gobuchul
    Free Member

But they are still reading it remotely.

When I log in to my account I can see the current reading. I’m guessing it;s updated every few hours.

goldfish24

A half baked system foisted on us by Brussels. Guess which other European countries are pressing ahead with this system as relentlessly as we are? Correct. None of them. Stupidity drawn up on a piece of paper by an overpaid, unelected eurocrat.

You’re comment would be hilariously wrong if it wasn’t so important not to be wrong on this.
    We were a key player in creating this directive, it was not foisted on us. It has been rolled out in many eu countries, not only uk. It’s a good idea, but the implementation has been heavily flawed… by us!

andrewreay

Don’t worry. I had a meter installed by the same company that sent me demands to read it! As a new customer.

Eventually, it just resolved itself, after about 3 months.

One night my estimated bill of £450 dropped to an actual of £150 when the meter and the bill eventually spoke to each other.

It’s Scottish Power if that is any reassurance.

But in short, just wait.

Or call then and force the issue. But I just waited and it all worked fine.

Have a SMETs 2 meter FWIW.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Smart meter but supplier asking me to submit a read?’ is closed to new replies.