Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Smart heating system
  • jonesyboy

What’s good, not so good? Ideal ISAR Combi boiler installed, trvs on all rads but two rooms are always cold so they could do with smart trvs that would work like two thermostats to fire the boiler up when required. Is that possible?

Ideally no subscription service, and the possibility of looking to fibaro, Phillips hue and Google

peterno51

Honeywell evohome is good, don’t have the trv as underfloor heating but simple and effective.

leffeboy

Sounds like the radiators aren’t ‘balanced’ correctly.  The radiator in the room with the thermostat shouldn’t have a trv and should be fully open if I understand correctly.  On that one you can then restrict the flow a bit to allow more flow to the others.   It might be that others need flow restricted as well but you could test that by just turning down their trvs to see if that helps the cold rooms

Things may have changed though and it might be that the evohome system where different valves communicate with the central controller would work even better

captmorgan
    Free Member

Take a look at https://www.tado.com/gb/

But as said the master zone with a thermostat shouldn’t have tvr’s on it.

alchiltern
    Free Member

Evo home here, 9 rads all controlled separately. Our heating demands for each room vary day to day. Simple to install and configure. Evohome learns how long rooms take to warm up so after a day or two it just works.

Now only heat the office 9-5 and other rooms as we need and not the whole house.

Easy to expand when we add new rooms next year and we get away with not balancing rads to the same degree.

Estimated savings on gas are 20% – 30%. It’ll pay for itself, depending on use.

leffeboy

Our heating demands for each room vary day to day

Excellent, sounds like that is what is needed.   I had an older model that didn’t do that but the controlling was fantastic.  It seemed like Honeywell were the only people that really understood control systems.

lesgrandepotato

We have 8 zones of Heatmiser stuff. Works well.

Bear
    Free Member

Look at Drayton Wiser too. I’ve used Honeywell and Drayton. Think I prefer Drayton as a bit cheaper and a bit less intrusive. The Honeywell system also hasn’t been the most reliable but that could be the user who is a bit of a nightmare.

fettlin

Hive here, just added 5 smart TRV’s around the house.

Gives a “zoned” heading system, upstairs goes off during the day and downstairs living areas during the night ( utility and kitchen stay on for the dogs).

We need some more TRV’s for full control but with sensible placing and position of the main thermostat it’s working quite well so far.

Buying 5 from the hive website gave a significant saving, so keep an eye out for deals.

nickclift
    Free Member

+1 for Drayton Wiser. Needed a sparky to do some ‘stuff’. Easily set up, 2x smart TRVs for the nippers rooms, 2x wall stats for landing & downstairs. Control unit (hub) clips onto existing control unit backplate. Separate zones all scheduled at different times, works a treat. Cheaper than Honeywell system I almost bought.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Evohome for 3 years here, it went thru a period of the app being flakey but new servers maybe 12 months ago has made the app just work without issue now. I use IFTTT to trigger heating on/off when leaving/ arriving home.
    Check your trv compatibility here https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/content/9-honeywell-evohome-hr92-radiator-valve-compatibility
    If they’re own brands then you can phone and they’ll help you determine whether your trvs are compatible.
    I have just the main rooms on smart trvs, and small rooms on standard trvs. Once You start adding smart trvs the controller goes dumb but you can activate it and bind it to a smart trv as an extra sensor in a large room.

spursn17
    Free Member

Another +1 for Drayton Wiser here.

Fitted it myself and it’s working fine, great for keeping the heating balanced nicely instead of the see-saw roasting/freezing cycle with our old thermostat.

timmys

Take a look at https://www.tado.com/gb/

But as said the master zone with a thermostat shouldn’t have tvr’s on it.

Though with a Tado system it is actually recommended that you do have a TVR in the same room as the thermostat.

Love my Tado system.

takisawa2

Serious question, is heating single rooms not a false economy? Ie: unless each room is well insulated on its own, wouldn’t the heat just leech out to the adjacent unheated rooms ? Surely your better just heating the whole house if the outside walls are where the heat stops escaping…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Simple answer is no and no, but obviously every house will be different. Mine is a small 3 floor house of 2+3+2 rooms. This eve, had the stove on ramming speed for about 5 hours in the lounge, bedroom directly above is 5 degrees colder. My experience with a evohome controller showing actual temps in rooms is heat doesn’t transfer all that much between floors or rooms.

Alphabet

Anyone care to guess if evohome will be reduced in some Black Friday madness?

shuhockey
    Free Member

EVO home here as well for 2 or 3 years. You can link up to google and ask what the temp is in a room, or turn the heating to 18 degrees. Been able to heat a certain room at a certain time is great and saves you money in the end.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Smart heating system’ is closed to new replies.