Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Smart Casual (again) – is it the same up north?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wedding to go to on Saturday, somewhere around Manchester. It’s one of those where you’re not important enough to be invited for the full event but you’re still expected to rock up with a present or some cash. 😐

The words were “nothing too smart, but make an effort, we’re not animals.”

Slacks, suede shoes and a shirt?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The North?

lunge

If that was me I’d wear shoes, smart jeans or chinos and an open neck shirt.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thecaptain
    Free Member

flat cap and whippet

finbar
    Free Member

Based on my experience, you should pitch yourself smarter in the north than the south. This is because people in the north don’t tend to have to dress smartly for work, spending their days either down t’pit or out in t’fields. They will therefore embrace any opportunity they can to dress up to the nines and show off their Sunday finery. Which will inevitably be rather ostentatious and expensive, as they can afford to spend more disposable income on clothes than southerners.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😀 @ finbar

finbar
    Free Member

You laugh, but this is a genuine bone of contention between me and my girlfriend’s family, who all live on massive farms in Leicestershire and are absolutely minted.

I spend my weeks wearing a suit in Whitehall, so the last thing I want to do is put a tie on to go to bloody Sunday lunch with them.

scotroutes

As always, the answer is ….. a kilt.

I’d go for a casual leather sporran rather than a fur one. And no brogues.

the-muffin-man

It’s one of those where you’re not important enough to be invited for the full event but you’re still expected to rock up with a present or some cash.

I tend to have prior engagements when those invites are received! 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If by ‘slacks’ you mean grey trackies, ‘suede shoes’ means box fresh trainers and your shirt has a crocodile on it… you’ll be reet.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Whatever’s comfortable for the traditional post-disco punch-up. I’d suggest some of the season’s finest from Superdry or Crosshatch. Or a selection of classic pieces from Sports Direct.

Also, you wouldn’t want to get gravy from the pies on your new clothes, so some sort of bib is advisable.

theteaboy
    Free Member

finbar – Member
    all live on massive farms in Leicestershire

He said north 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

somewhere around Manchester.

So, South then?

theotherjonv

serious answer – suit with open necked ‘not obviously a work shirt’ shirt. Can’t be wrong in that.

maccruiskeen

Slacks

You said you hadn’t worn your Hebtro pants – this is your time to shine.

Harry_the_Spider

Is it the same wedding that I’m going to, the STW Big Hitter one?

If so I’ll be in my best Artisan Moleskins, battered yet stylish brown ankle boots and a poorly ironed shirt. My wife will be dressed like this.

Kryton57

Wedding to go to on Saturday, somewhere around Manchester. It’s one of those where you’re not important enough to be invited for the full event but you’re still expected to rock up with a present or some cash

Frankly, I’d be busy that day.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I missed the golden ticket hunt. 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

It was more a trail of crumbs.

zilog6128

I tend to have prior engagements when those invites are received!

+1 either they want you at their wedding, or they don’t (hint: they don’t 🙂 )

Junkyard
    Free Member

nothing too smart, but make an effort, we’re not animals.

Its code for fancy dress

this?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Racist!

Junkyard
    Free Member

In that case something like this?

footflaps

Which two Big Hitters are getting married?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Which two Big Hitters are getting married?

Junky and Jamba.

There’s only so much unresolved sexual tension that can exist before something gives.

MrSmith
    Free Member

wear whatever you want but if you have hair then invest in some hair gel and maybe get some fake tan or hit the sun bed.

footflaps

Junky and Jamba.

I assume Farage will be conducting the ceremony…..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

wear whatever you want but if you have hair then invest in some hair gel and maybe get some fake tan or hit the sun bed.

Currently checking out @JeansAndSheux for tips.

Dave
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQa_vjHVSEk[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I assume Farage will be conducting the ceremony…..

Nope. Big church do, with Rev Woppit officiating.

ads678

Smart casual up north is the same as down south but you don’t need your monocle and top hat.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You decided yet which one of us you are giving away?

footflaps

It’s the alter boys I feel sorry for….

binners

Would this be the social event of the season we’re talking about here? The date of which was decided so as not to clash with Royal Ascot or Henley? If you look at the Royal Box in centre court at Wimbledon on Saturday, it’ll be a decidedly B list affair.

As you well know, the bride and groom (alright … me and Debs) are such quiet, shy, reserved, conservative types, who don’t like to cause a fuss, the wedding itself was a small, intimate affair.

We weren’t even going to have a big bash for the uncouth rabble we refer to as our friends, but after the ceremony the registrar informed us that, by law, a northern marriage can’t be classed as officially consummated until somebody has uttered the phrase “can you hold me ‘air back for me while I’m sick?” afterr too many WKD Blues. So we are where we are.

We even had to combine it with a popular mountain biking festival to ensure anyone would actually bother to turn up

Oh… and basically, dress like a northerner. Make an effort! But best not ‘full scouse’ as that’s probably a bit much. Definitely not a southerner. Every time I go to London I’m amazed by how little effort people make. They look like they’ve chosen their clothes blindfolded in M&S. and once you’re outside London everyone looks like they’ve just finished mucking out 😀

thenorthwind

It’s the alter boys I feel sorry for….

Maybe Woppit just fancies a bit of a change

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

up north weddings suit for the day, evening invite, sod the suit smart jeans, shirt and brogues

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Wedding = Suit

End of

binners

End of…?

It’d be the end of your attendance at my wedding! 😉

You can’t eat pies and dance to Northern Soul in a suit. It’s just wrong!

IHN

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh there, where’s my invite?

I’m hurt, BinBins, I’m hurt 🙁

footflaps

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh there, where’s my invite?

I’m hurt, BinBins, I’m hurt

No ‘P’, no invite…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Smart Casual (again) – is it the same up north?’ is closed to new replies.