Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)
  • Small(ish) practice jumps in Surrey Hills
  • acidtest
    Free Member

I’ll keep an eye out. I ride a black sb5c and generally black shorts, top and helmet. Pretty much lived up there in the evenings this summer.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sorry acid, had to cut it even shorter than expected so went to punchbowl instead. Hope u had a good ride. Another time?

acidtest
    Free Member

Yeah good ride cheers. Probably not the best time to meetup anyway as mainly ended up pissing about with my suspension settings being the first ride on me new bike.

I’ll be up there tomorrow from about 5, give me a shout if you’re about.

ade9933
    Free Member

Fork right up that way has a couple of nice little roly doubles you can practice on if that’s what you fancy as does the run on Winterfold… can’t remember the name – maybe Northern Monkey.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The gaps on N Monkey are beyond me Im afraid!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Definitely not rollable !

Wednesday old blokes ride or Saturday free ride practice … you know it makes sense

ade9933
    Free Member

The one I am thinking of is the one with 2 lines. High line – rollable. Low line – Big gaps. Do you know the one?

Gotama
    Free Member

I would assume ade9933 means the higher line at the bottom of the run which runs parallel to the bigger jump line and which does have four little jumps on it albeit the first one is almost none existent now.

Edit – too slow typing my reply. You are right ade9933

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Jambas – was going to join the old blokes ride yesterday but ran out of time (helping funeral prep 🙁 )

Ade – no I dont. I rode NM a few weeks ago but took the lower line below the gap jumps

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sorry to hear, will drop you a line later.

I am too slow/unfit these days for Wed ride – tell Simon you want to do a little practice or and/or watch the others

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Cheers

I was wondering of I could keep up with the old boys too!!

ade9933
    Free Member

Thanks Gotama- glad to know I’m not going mad 🙂

Watch that old blokes rides. You’ll be buying an ebike if you’re not careful 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

acid – yes, going to sneak out again.

probably park in WB at around 17:00 and head up to Holmbury – look out for sweaty bloke (after climb) on camber evo. Navy top, black shorts and black C’back (equivalent)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good to bump in you AT albeit for such a short time. Bike looks great.

On the way back did your run and the middle choice. Think the left one is better and comes out at the same place, good suggestions as alternative way back to reservoir. Thx.

Funny how the area went from no one about to quite a few. Although after I left you and saw no one until WB car park. And then lots of night boys going out on some very nice bikes, The trouble with that CP is that you/your bike can quickly feel inadequate!!!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Nirvana’s jump spot near Redlands just off the road is a great place to practice.

There are a few still up on Newlands Corner, though they keep changing. Were good for practice but more recently someone’s done the usual and decided to big them up and stick holes in them ’cause it’s cool innit. Some are still okay for a practice.

Near Proper Bo on Pitch is what’s now billed as Dad’s Jumps, I think, on Strava. Little jump plus what was a sort of double in a muddy slop but is now just a table. Useful to practice on though.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thank DK. Would be good to know where the Redlands bit is but realise that it’s sensitive

This thread was v helpful including acid’s recommendation. V quickly I got my confidence including the Dads Jumps bit. As always, start small and work upwards. In the end, need confidence and MTFU and hit the jump with speed.

Tonight I rode faster than normal and was looking for jumps including ones which I normally by pass

sofabear
    Free Member

What about the jumps on Secret Santa?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Lucky to get the rides in this week. Rain started as soon as I got home, brilliant electrical storms all night and still raining now – oddly still muggy too. Hope the night riders didn’t get too wet as sounded like a big ride last night.

acidtest
    Free Member

@teamhurtmore yeah good to meet you, gotta love Yoghurt Pots and that jump half way along is always interesting!

Don’t think I’ve done Dads Jumps so will have to go exploring.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀 I hunt that “jump” out now – still have a slight problem with the LH bend with the silver birch on the apex. Hitting it faster now but cant stop myself having a dab on the brakes at exactly the wrong time. I always lose speed on that one corner. But yes, always fun and there’s even that jump near the end!!

Dads Jumps is very small – an initial small drop off and a small table top. But good for confidence building. Trouble is once you’ve done any of these terror 😉 jumps once, your realise that you have just been fannying around previously!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Now for the evian gap jump – took the chicken line today on both 😳 i wish the second wasnt a gap though as the chicken line breaks your speed to much

Anyone know what was being filmed up there by the old bomb hole?

Listening to the chat in the CP i think there were some “names” riding around today – but I dont know what they look like 😉

deadkenny
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member 
    i wish the second wasnt a gap though as the chicken line breaks your speed to much

Same here. Or the chicken line needs some flow. To be honest it’s getting annoying the amount of big gaps that appear in a previously rideable trail and no line around it or alternative.

Sure I know “blah blah, if you can’t jump it you shouldn’t ride the trail” is the attitude from some, but Evian is an old classic suitable for everyone. Gaps are fine, just keep it rideable for all. Want a gap only trail, build one from scratch.

That said it’s up to us all to maintain these (unofficial as they are), so maybe I’ll take a shovel with me to sort it out 😀 . Well, I would if I knew what I was doing. Not that I think some of those digging these holes know what they’re doing either. Many are a mess.

andyjh

Thanks for this thread, encouraged me to brave up and go try the drops on Thick and Creamy 😀 Crashed a while ago on the second one, didn’t take enough speed in and caught the gap 🙁 The first just scares me on approach but i did a load of practice on the T’s, Wurly Curly, Proper Bo to get a bit of confidence. Went and cased it for a bit and then maned up, wiped out on landing on the first one, doh. Went back and had another go and cleared it 🙂 Did it again to make sure and then cleared the second. Very happy with myself as I had been properly scared to do these. Thanks for all the advice in this thread and sharing your own journey teamhurtmore 😀

deadkenny
    Free Member

Hmm, jump after the second gap on Evian has gone! 🙁 Shame that as that was one I could actually do 😀 . Comes up quick after the berm but could pop over it nicely and no gap. So big gaps cool, small easy jumps are not apparently 🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Glad to help Andy – sharing a few thoughs on here helped me this week, especially acid’s recommended jump. That proved to be rel easy and just gave the the confidence to MTFU and go and tackle my bogey. Gradually working my way trough various bogey runs/sections. One of the early bends high up on Eric needs to be tackled next. Have yet to try T&C as he drops sound a bit too big!!

DK- I was think exactly the same on Satuday about the easy jump on Evian. Where is it? I think that it is just the small lip that comes after the bend. I was also thinking the same thing about he response to why make the second gap a gap jump at all!! Do they need t be gaps on such popular runs? Didn’t they fill in the gap on supernova and just make it a jump/drop? Sounds like we ride similar things 😉

I hadn’t ridden curly wurly for a while before Sat. That seems more rutted (in a fun way) than I recall. Enjoyed it a lot.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Ah, Supernova’s infamous gap 😀 . Where’s that thread again? 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I almost hit that (too slowly) in the gloom one evening (no lights) and have only just realised that it has been filled in now (from the chicken line last week!!)

(seems that we have a contact on here in common, we should meet for a ride some time?)

deadkenny
    Free Member

I hang out on the “London Calling – MTB” group on FB and we arrange rides in between mindless bike chat.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

One day I’ll join FB 😀

(twitter, instagram, strava…)

acidtest
    Free Member

@teamhurtmore

I hunt that “jump” out now – still have a slight problem with the LH bend with the silver birch on the apex.

Yeah that comes up really fast if it’s the one I think you mean! I get low with a bit of weight over the front wheel and then push back and pump through the exit.

Hitting it faster now but cant stop myself having a dab on the brakes at exactly the wrong time.

Just go a bit slower so you don’t feel the need to brake and then work your way up to going faster as you feel comfortable.

Or if you’re feeling a bit nutty there’s a bit of a psychological game you can play with regards to dabbing the breaks. You basically rewire your brain to put a pedal stroke in instead of braking, it can be a bit scary the first few times but it’ll push your limits and you’ll realise you don’t actually need to brake anywhere near as much. Only do it on trails you know though otherwise you’ll probably die.
    A perfect example from the other week was along the top section of telegraph and hadn’t been down it in a while, was 12 seconds off the KOM. Went back around for another go but with no braking allowed… scared myself a bit but knocked a second off the KOM and 13 seconds off my previous attempt.

With the above you’ll find you not only get down the trail faster but you’ll notice how much smoother you flow and with less pedaling.

acidtest
    Free Member

One day I’ll join FB

(twitter, instagram, strava…)

Yeah you should!!

Weekend commitments don’t allow me to do real races very often so for me Strava is my way of staying competitive and finding new trails. I don’t mind admitting I’ve fairly addicted to beating and improving my Strava times.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good advice AT – there’s only one bit on YP that this happens on and its because of the “visual” impact of the tree on the apex. The natural berm should be enough to ensure that you avoid it but I still have a habit of a little dab just in the bottom and at exactly the wrong time 😳 Feel the wheels twitch as a result. As you say, slower entry and then ride through it.

As we discussed when we met, the cleaned out Tel Rd is much better – at least the first section where it used to get v wet by the Rhoddies! The straight line mini jumps by the poles are quite fun too!

Thanks for the advice – something to work on.

acidtest
    Free Member

No worries, I’m all for helping where I can. It’s the end of YP that gets me, always seem a bit cautious of that last burm and braking bumps. I think I’m pretty much on my limit but will have to try my own advice as I know it must be possible.

Yeah the top of telegraph is a lot more flowy and faster now, I doubt my KOM will last long 🙁 I wonder if that was trail fairies or the comms company that cleared it??

sofabear
    Free Member

deadkenny – Member

Ah, Supernova’s infamous gap

I never knew that used to be a gap. Saying that, the pothole that developed a few months ago has meant I now head on the chicken line (not that can do gaps/doubles anyway).

teamhurtmore – Member

Good advice AT – there’s only one bit on YP that this happens on and its because of the “visual” impact of the tree on the apex. The natural berm should be enough to ensure that you avoid it but I still have a habit of a little dab just in the bottom and at exactly the wrong time Feel the wheels twitch as a result. As you say, slower entry and then ride through it.

I think I know the bit you’re talking about, quite near the start of the trail?

Also agree with your comments on the new double on Evian and the chicken line ruining flow. 🙁 Didn’t see anyone filming there yesterday but then I wasn’t on the trail until about 4pm.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Its about 1/3 of the way down after the newish rollers. Two v similar LH bends with very natural banking. The one I am referring to has a small silver birch on the apex which is really just a visual distraction!

The chicken line on Evian’s 2nd gap effectively stops you in a rooty puddle. Really annoying after those super early berms. I am not sure how much speed you need to carry to make the gap – its not a big one after all – just wish it was a table top instead.

I was up late afternoon Sat not yesterday. They were filming by the old bomb hole (at first I was hoping they were clearing it!). Plus the “names” were in WB car park!!

deadkenny
    Free Member

There are location signs up for TLW. Not sure who, but those signs usually refer to a production company. Some around Winterfold fireroads on Jim’s land so not sure that will be related to bike stuff given his hate for bikes.

Edit: possibly this bunch – http://thelastword.tv/

sofabear
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

Its about 1/3 of the way down after the newish rollers. Two v similar LH bends with very natural banking. The one I am referring to has a small silver birch on the apex which is really just a visual distraction!

Ah, yes, I know the corner/silver birch you’re referring to. I find that YP is one of those trails that’s difficult to ride well from start to finish.

The chicken line on Evian’s 2nd gap effectively stops you in a rooty puddle. Really annoying after those super early berms. I am not sure how much speed you need to carry to make the gap – its not a big one after all – just wish it was a table top instead.

Is it my imagination of are there more berms on Evian now? Strava says it’s a longer trail now and I think it’s much more enjoyable though the bomb hole used to be good fun.

Did you try the ‘new’ Area 51 whilst you were there?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ah, yes, I know the corner/silver birch you’re referring to. I find that YP is one of those trails that’s difficult to ride well from start to finish.

Well I always finish it with a smile and a little puffed! Ridden fast, there are no real breaks. You have to stay pretty focused through all the twists and turns. And its pretty dry still!!

Possibly more berms on Evian – the early ones are really good fun IMO. The finish is getting faster and lumpier too 😉

I dont know Area 51 at least not by name.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ok – found A51 on strava eventually – yes its a fun trail too. Often ride that before Evian just didn’t know the name

acidtest
    Free Member

Somehow I don’t think I’ve ever been down Area 51, will have to scope it out on my next ride.
    Rode down yoghurt pots yesterday and there were a young couple walking up it who had a bit of a scare. Luckily it wasn’t on one of the corners but on the fast straightish bit…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXeahkx1FDs[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Small(ish) practice jumps in Surrey Hills’ is closed to new replies.