Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • small wasps nest in shed – how to remove?
  • alp_girl
    Free Member

I just found a small (so far) wasps' nest on the top of the door frame of our shed – it's about the size of a tennis ball, and in the 1 minute I was in/out of the shed there was only a single wasp cruising around (but didn't approach the nest while I was there).

Read lots of different advice on the web – anyone here have some personal experience of what works?

Thank you!!

Jamie
    Free Member

Nuke them.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Can of deoderant and a lighter.

Or phone the council.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Will your local council remove it for you or will they charge?

(Sorry to answer a question with a question)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Can of deoderant and a lighter.

Bright idea in a wooden shed 😉

uplink
    Free Member

Ant powder will sort it

maxray
    Free Member

I had the same on Sunday though the nest was more golf ball sized than tennis ball. I sneaked in, put a jar over it and slid a saw along the roof to make it drop in. Then I used the saw to cover the jar whilst I left the shed.

They are well beautiful.

grtdkad

Our council won't touch 'vermin' and advise to use a local contractor instead. For something that size I would suggest that you could nuke the shed with something like 'Kybosh', leave for a while and then go in and remove it….carefully

DM52
    Free Member

buy a can of wasp nest destroyer foam from B&Q – worked a treat on the nests in my roof and in the soffit.

Pook

smash it hard with a tennis racket. That'll do it.

will
    Free Member

😆

ski
    Free Member

I had a single Queen Bee recently moved from my shed who was building a nest, well a local Bee keeper was glad to take her.

If you don't want to kill her, move her at least 3 miles or she will come back and build another nest aparently 😉

They are well beautiful.

Agree, they are so fragile too

btw, the bee keeper did just what maxray did but with a pair of gloves on 😉

alp_girl
    Free Member

🙂 Thanks for the suggestions so far!

I think I'd be in trouble if I accidently burned down the shed – although I guess I could empty it first just in case 😉

Just double checked and I guess the nest is actually not quite tennis ball sized yet, so maybe removing it like maxray would work? Although I read somewhere that they'd just come back and build another one in the same place?

Will also check out the wasp nest foam if I can find it somewhere…

alp_girl
    Free Member

oh, how do I tell the difference between a bees nest and a wasps nest? 😳

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

If its the size of a tennis ball surely it will be quite easy to do what maxray did

Three_Fish
    Free Member

oh, how do I tell the difference between a bees nest and a wasps nest?

One will have bees in; one will have wasps in.

maxray
    Free Member

Checking their type as you're rolling round on the floor covered in them being stung.. Ooh look they are greater stinger death hornets afterall! 😀

alp_girl
    Free Member

Actually, that's great advice – just went out there and waited, and a wasp came out, so now I know 😆

ski
    Free Member

Checking their type as you're rolling round on the floor covered in them being stung.. Ooh look they are greater stinger death hornets afterall!

LOL – once disturbed a wasp nest on a farm I worked on, got stung 40-60 times, still remember the feeling of wasps buzzing and sting my head!

No, you cannot out run them & no, they do not fly off if you decide to jump into a pond to get away from them either!

😉

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Actually, that's great advice – just went out there and waited, and a wasp came out, so now I know

As facetious as it sounded, it was intended as serious, if not entirely fool-proof, advice.

alp_girl
    Free Member

if not entirely fool-proof,

I'm very proud that despite being blonde, I did not poke around in the nest to encourage one of the beasties to come out, I just waited 😛

Drac

We use to spray any flammable liquid on them we could find as kids. Torch them and run like hell. Never got stung by them.

slowjo
    Free Member

A mate had the same problem although with a bigger nest. The pest man came round with a tin of proprietary fly spray (Raid I think). He emptied half a tin on the nest, had a cup of tea from his van, went back removed nest and dead wasps.

ratcatcher

small nests can be treated with a can of fly spray, wasp nests are made with chewed up wood, bee nests are wax cells (like little balls)

ski
    Free Member

had a cup of tea from his van

A true pro at work 😉

As a kid at my local Comp, there was a craze of having your own pet wasp latched to a piece of cotton & have them fly round your desk, getting more stressed by the hour!

ChrisL

A mate disposed of the egg-sized nest in my shed in a similar manner to maxray's technique. Glass jar over the nest, slide a bit of card over the lid to knock the nest into the jar then carefully take the jar away to somewhere exposed, put jar on ground, remove card, remove jar and step away smartly.

I was too much of a jessy to do this myself. 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

Don't local councils have access to professional exterminators?

srrc
    Free Member

If you use the "empty an aerosol in the door of the nest" technique good advice is to use an extension straw and make sure it's a can with lots of puff. You want to be blowing them back into the nest as they come for you.

Then run for it.

CountZero

I would try to avoid killing them, wasps are very good at killing all sorts of pests that you find in the garden, although they can be pests themselves, I've been stung myself, but I'd still avoid killing them. Nuking from orbit generally results in an extreme form of urban renewal that pisses off the neighbours more than the wasps do…
    …as does napalm… 😀

bullheart
    Free Member

Bazooka. I reckon a bazooka will work.

You should try a bazooka.

alpin
    Free Member

back in the days when i was a student myself and a fwe friends decided to see what would happen if we got some insects stoned.

we collected: a spider (i know, technically not an insect, but heyho); a rolley-polly (wood louse thing); a fly; and a wasp.

we put eachon in a separate jar and gave each of them one blow back on a joint. the spider curled up into a ball after a couple of blow-backs.

the fly gave up a while after.

so it was neck-a-neck between the wasp and the rolley-polly. the wasp was flying about not seeming too bothered when he/she/it dropped to the bottom of the glass and was tri-podded on its back, resting on its abdommen and wings. another puff and one wing gave way. after a few mintues the other wing went and it rolled over on to its side.

our mate richard, or "shakey fingers" as we used to call him based to the fact when trying to roll a joint his fingers would start shaking if anyone was watching, tried to pick it up thinking it was dead. it wasn't. it was just stoned and it stung him. haha.

the rolley-polly was completely unfased by the whole experiment.

so if you want to remove the wasps from your shed don't waste good quality cannabis smoke.

HTH

robidoo
    Free Member

I had two of these little nests in my shed the other week there was only one wasp in though.
    I saw it leave so I went in and snapped them off the roof, they havn't come back since.

Ewan
    Free Member

http://nukeitfromorbit.com/

However if you really want to get rid of it, I suggest poking it with a stick till it falls down then chucking a bucket of water on it, followed by stamping.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Just punch it bare-fisted. Then stand there to admire your handiwork (pun intended).

JohnnyPanic

there was a craze of having your own pet wasp latched to a piece of cotton

How, without being stung, do you tie cotton round the leg of a wasp? 😕

Ring Nick Griffin up and tell him that its in the UK illegally and probably going to apply for asylum? Before you know it some 16 stone bloke with a gut will be slashing it with a stanley, and stamping on it whilst his staffy which is on the pre requisite 1inch chain barks ferociously at it.

theboatman
    Free Member

Should sort it….

CountZero

^^ Yup, that'll do it every time. That's the Napalm option…

CountZero

This option requires standing well back before lighting the blue touch paper…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘small wasps nest in shed – how to remove?’ is closed to new replies.