Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Small, Reliable Car – Semi-Bangernomics
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Depending on a possible change in work circumstances, I may need to get a car for work. Looking at sub £2k, reliable and economical.

At the moment, a little Smart car seems to jump out for silly cheap tax and high MPG. Don’t need it to carry anyone else so also been thinking it could also be the opportunity to buy something like Polo GTi #2 or MX5 #4 as well…

Anyone else any suggestions? I think for my bank balances sake, its best I get something I’d be reluctant to tinker with. The Smart ticks a lot of boxes…

Or theres Berlingos etc for sub £2k. Dull as ditch water but good ‘just chuck it in’ bike carrying ability.

Trimix
    Free Member

Dont waste that much money.

But something for a few hundred quid – taxed and tested.

I used to pay up to £400 and they would last a year or more.

If they went wrong I didnt mind as Id paid so little. One car cost me £300 and lasted 3 years before it died. The others lasted a year or more. I used to take them to the dump instead of getting an MOT and tax.

porter_jamie

easy. toyota yaris, or nissan micra. both uber reliable, both have cam chains not belts (in 1.0 on yaris) and are cheap

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stumpy01

Original shape Ka…?

Later models have a better engine, so look for one of those if they fit the budget…?

hp_source

Seat Arosa and VW Lupo 1.4 TDi’s are £30 a year tax, should be available for that kinda cash I’d have thought… pretty sturdy for a little car.

alex222
    Free Member

I have a starlet 6 months tax and mot on it 70,000 yours for £400.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dont waste that much money.

But something for a few hundred quid – taxed and tested.

IDK, £2k can buy you a lot of car. The parkers guide to my 60,000mile ’06 c-max isn’t much more. I’d shop arround at the less fassionable end of the market, mini people carriers etc. Van sized, but with car handling, nicer interiors and MPG.

Daffy

Pug 306 HDI?

IHN

I can highly recommend the Mazda2

mtbfix

I’ve got a Yaris Verso on a Y plate. Entirely reliable and swallows bikes and gear easily. It will be for sale in a couple of weeks.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

at the 2k point you will get a much better large car than a small car, If you go for a mondeo or foucus size instead of a ka or fiesta you won’t be competing with first time drivers and for want of a non sexist term, women.

Bigger cars are just built better and better equipped. If you don’t need a small car they’re best left alone.

finishthat
    Free Member

older Smart cars can and will go wrong with some expensive problems = engine rebuild.
    Ford Ka whilst simple suffers from structural rust problems that make them death traps.

as said above 2k gives you a lot of choices – and I would agree with trying to avoid the obvious small economical car mirage that makes people pay a massive premium.

If you are even listing something like an MX5 , then just get one.
    Perfect time to buy one.

chakaping
    Free Member

Fiat Panda or Ford Fiesta are top of my list at the moment (also looking for a small car about £2k).

If it was just for me (not wife) I’d probably go for an older (pre-02) Fiesta.

matt_outandabout

Yaris for the win – D4D, built to last, uber reliable (80k and nothing broken so far…tyres, service and a set of pads and discs), 60pmg+, £35 tax, nippy, clever back seat and you can get a canoe in it.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/any-yaris-owners

Canoe in a Yaris…. by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

matt22
    Free Member

The nissan micra 2nd generation 92 – 03 my wife used them at here work which was a kids home, the staff and kids ragged them the kids used to beat the shit out of them and the weather on Exmoor would smash them they put in big millage going to London and Plymouth but the cars were indestructable, its what i would gun for in your position. Good luck with the hunt dude

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Small, Reliable Car – Semi-Bangernomics’ is closed to new replies.