Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Small DAB tuner – is there such a thing?
  • el_boufador

Hello,
    I have a hifi setup hidden away in the kitchen cupboard, and space is restricted.

I’d like to add a DAB tuner to this setup (I usually use bluetooth) so I am looking for a very small tuner which I can hide in there too.

I’m sure I have seen small DAB tuners before – in fact my dad used to have one on his setup (about the size of a pack of cards, IIRC), but I can’t find any trace of such a thing out there on the interwebs.

Anyone have any idea where I might find such a thing?

To be clear I’d just looking for the tuner to add to the existing hi fi amp, I don’t need a radio with speakers etc. included

bamboo
    Free Member
    CountZero

Not sure that there’s such a thing these days, at least, not for a home set-up; cars, yes, but for home radio most people either use Internet radio, with a wifi link to the amp like an Airport, or via satellite.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive got one of them ^ in the landrover.
    works surprisingly well, but the interface is a bit ropey. If you’re not changing channels much it’s fine, changing channels is a bit of a dog.

el_boufador

cheers, thanks, I’ll investigate the pocket options

wallop

I’ve got one of these:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio/radios/radios/roberts-sports-portable-dab-radio-black-05326742-pdt.html?srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!45236857415!!!g!66754607348!&ef_id=UPB61wAAH-mubFN1:20150323231711:s

I assume you could connect that via the headphone jack?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

How small? This is a standard width, but very low.

http://www.whathifi.com/denon/tu-1800dab/review

Probably find it on the ‘bay for £20 or something.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

!

I take it back – they seem to sell for more now than when new 😯

Still, if you can find one, the Denon tuner range was usually highly regarded.

CountZero

Denon always made good kit, my first CD player was a Denon, got it trade through the shop I worked Saturdays in, retailed at around £800! Sounded better than anything else on the market at the time, 82/3-ish.
    Still got it upstairs. Might power it up one day, see how it sounds.
    I guess if Denon discontinued their tuner, and nobody else is making full-size kit like that, second-hand examples are going to be in big demand.
    Always the Arcam DAB32; still £600 though… 🙄
    http://www.whathifi.com/arcam/t32/review
    Here you go: http://www.richersounds.com/product/tuners/tibo/dab420/tibo-dab420
    £99, looks like the only thing on the market.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

They still exist but not common. I’ve got a Yamaha AV amp with DaB built in. Suspect they might do a standalone tuner as well. Pure and Cambridge Audio did them at a reasonable price.

Here you go : hispek

Don’t understand why they seem to be so expensive – that’s more than I paid for the Av amp

Stoner
    Free Member

I used to use a Genus as a DAB separate. Ugly as sin but small form factor. WOrked OK too.

Here’s one on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUS-GO1-STEREO-DAB-RADIO-/331508555757

I used to have one like this

Keep an eye out on ebay for s/h “Genus” for a cheap DAB separate.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Might sound stupid, but do borrow a DAB first to ensure you can even get a bloody signal.

I can see the top of Reigate hill from my flat. I can SEE the transmitter. I can’t get a signal from my pure digital alarm clock with its standard tatty bit of string aerial.

Given your DAB tuner is going to be sat in a cupboard in a kitchen, presumably with same tatty bit of string aerial, rather than a decent outside aerial they appear to really need (unlike FM/LW/MW which appear to work adequately in my flat) i’d ensure theres actually any point buying one.

Hateful technology, and the idea of a switch over to digital simply consigns me to a technological dark age.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Hateful technology, and the idea of a switch over to digital simply consigns me to a technological dark age.”

the only thing worse than dab(which i find quite good) in terms of radio innovation…. the use of phone internet radio streaming – i find it hateful.

Good old FM , you can get reception on that with a bent coat hanger

el_boufador

thanks for the replies everyone 🙂

RustySpanner

Have you space for a small Freeview box?
    They usually include radio – we get fewer channels than we do via DAB, (not sure if this is due to a crap aerial) in exchange for a higher bitrate.

Jujuuk68 – Member

Hateful technology, and the idea of a switch over to digital simply consigns me to a technological dark age.

DAB sounds ok.
    Which is a shame, because it could sound amazing.

We’ve good DAB and fair FM reception.
    I’ve got a Pure 2s connected to the ‘proper’ Hifi.
    It’s on FM if I’m actually sat down listening to it, but the choice of 6 Music or 4 Extra is nice during the day if I’m pottering.

DAB in the kitchen because sound quality doesn’t matter as much and there’s a greater choice.

I very much doubt if they’ll ever ditch FM.

ThePinkster

My Mum had one of those Roberts pocket radios while she was in hospital and it got great reception no matter what ward she as on.

The Only problem with using a pocket DAB is keeping a constant power supply. My Roberts Gemini (quite old & probably a bit too big for what you’re after) eats them like they’re going out of fashion if not run on the mains.

brassneck

I think they should have just moved everything to FM and not bothered with DAB at all. I guess it uses less bandwidth overall, so there are more frequencies to sell.
    Internet is worse, 5 Live is a joke now as every football match is dropped due to rights issues. I’m sure it wasn’t that bad before, maybe down to using TuneIn on the Sonos now? Ended up buying a DAB radio anyway!

CountZero

I do find it amusing how many enthuse over FM, when the reality is reception is hopeless. Here in North Wilts, FM in a car is crap, driving on the A4 to Bath, I’d lose the signal completely before I get to Corsham, about five miles away, and not get a signal until well into Bath, twelve miles away. DAB in the car, using the teeny little supplied screen antenna I get 6Music all the way to Bath, except for a small blank spot in Box, for about a mile, maybe less. I can also get 6Music all the way down the M4/M5 to Brean, about 72 miles, except for a couple of miles just the other side of Avonmouth.
    I have a DAB/iPod dock by my bed, with one of those bits of wire strung up across the window, and I get perfect reception, the transmitter is about five/six miles away.
    Reception the other side of Devizes, going towards Salisbury, is very poor with the screen antenna, I really need to get a proper one, not the little stick-on bit of thin wire, but I just switch over to the pod or phone, so it’s not that big a deal.

fisha
    Free Member

I just bught a denon tu 1800 dab unit. It’s a very smart unit. But as already said, it’s very sensitive to getting a good signal and aerial position ( the small magnetic aerial one that comes with the unit has to sit on a metal surface to get a good signal)

On the bay they go for about £100 ish

Stoner
    Free Member

el_boufador

am just round at my bro’s looking for a cable, and in his “Trunk of Junk” Ive just found my old DAB tuner – the ugly one Ive put a pic of up there ^.

I think it still works, will check.

Yours if you’re interested, for £10 in the air ambulance tin on the bar.

EDIT: dammit, scratch that, cant find the remote. Would need to take a chance with a programmable remote. Sorry, prob not best.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Small DAB tuner – is there such a thing?’ is closed to new replies.