Small comfortable hydration pack

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Small comfortable hydration pack
  • jayx2a

My Evoc Stage 6L pack is not the most comfortable pack out there and seems quite lardy for a pack that holds 2L of water and quite stiff.

Looking for something that takes 1.5-2L that is compact and most importantly comfortable.

I only usually have a small tool kit and a snack bar in my pack so any large storage is just a waste!

Was thinking of a USWE Airbourne 3 as last years model is going cheap but any alternative suggestions more than welcome.

Premier Icon roverpig
    Subscriber

I’ve been enjoying the Camelbak chase vest for the past few weeks. Still early days, but so far so good.

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

I wouldn’t look past the USWE TBH. It’s a great bit of kit.

Premier Icon oikeith
    Subscriber

Raceface Stash Vests are around £40 and can take a 1.5l bladder (not included) and have room for tools and other small stuff. I have the SWAT Bibs which are similiar and put a 500ml bottle, clif bars and gloves in the pockets of mine with no issues.

jayx2a

Think I might try the Airbourne 3 older version. New one out doesnt look much improved for the extra price apart from a phone pocket and older one is a lot cheaper!

Atually new one has a bigger bladder, magnetic tube tube clip and phone pocket too. Looks a bit nicer too… but

£115 vs £70!!!

USWE Airborne, first run out yesterday 25 mile including up to cutgate trig and backdown,
    so comfortable, i thought it might be restrictive to my breathing, it wasnt, it just works, no dancin monkeys on the way back down either

£40 for purple one on Evans

also check out sellers on ebay and amazon, cheaper than online bike shops

jayx2a

@whatyadoinsucka

Which one have you got? is it the older version or one of the new ones?

Premier Icon heebyjeeby
    Subscriber

I don’t like the USWE very much conversely.

Never seems to sit right, bounces about and the drinks tube is too long and swings around like Billi-o

@jayx2a i actually have the airborne 9 (although it feels so much smaller, keys,a mobile, a spare top gloves, a few snacks, pump, tool roll and a spare tube and its full) i have an evoc 6l and as you say its very rigid and moves alot (plus my zips seize)

Premier Icon frogstomp
    Subscriber

Evoc Hip Pack Race.. have hardly used my larger Osprey pack since I got it a couple of years ago.

Premier Icon Akers
    Subscriber

Camelbak Repack LR is working great for me, sits nice and low in the hips.
    Tube, CO2 and tool on the bike, water, munchies, keys, phone and first aid in the Repack.

jayx2a

@akers I was considering a Hip Pack, but guess its one of those things you need to try! Does it feel bulky when its not full of gear?

I have a Camelback Skyline 10LR pack that sounds like what you’re after. I like it a lot. Worth a look!

paulh110

+1 for the Camelbak chase vest , merlin had/have them on offer at the moment too.

trail_rat

How much for some of them?

I have a kalenji(decathlon) ultra hydration vest that meets your criteria and comes with a bladder…. Comfy as owt and only 25 quid

jayx2a

Tried the Airbourne 3 and couldn’t get a good fit. With straps on smaller loops it was way too tight. On larger loops too loose.

Tried some my old camel ones on and nothing seems that comfortable. Maybe I need to look at something that takes it off my shoulders or some kind of vest or belt as mentioned above.

Premier Icon Akers
    Subscriber

@jayx2a hip pack feels pretty unnoticeable unless you really load it up with a full bladder and load of other stuff. I think it will come into its own in the summer, when you want your back free of a sweaty rucksack.

Premier Icon FOG
    Subscriber

I recently bought an Osprey Katari 7l pack which is excellent. It is fairly minimalist with few of the bells and whistles you get with other Osprey packs but is low profile,light and very comfortable. It has even survived a full on OTB incident unscathed. I am not sure if I would have paid the £70 list but for just under £50 from CRC I think, it was reasonable.

Premier Icon Nobby
    Subscriber

Another+1 for the Camelbak Chase. It.s comfy & just does what it’s meant to.

qwerty

Can you fit a 750ml bottle on your bike? If so, the Dakine Hot Laps 2l with another 750ml bottle in the holster could be an option offering 1.5l of hydration. I’m hoping to view one soon.

Premier Icon lightfighter762
    Subscriber

oikeith

Raceface Stash Vests are around £40 and can take a 1.5l bladder (not included) and have room for tools and other small stuff. I have the SWAT Bibs which are similiar and put a 500ml bottle, clif bars and gloves in the pockets of mine with no issues.

I love the stash. I use it with water, med kit and fuel. Have Salomon soft water bottles 300-500ml. If I need a refill just use a sawyer filter attached to it. Done GT Black with this setup and from Inners the red with Minch moor. Spares all on the bike.

jayx2a

I gave the USWE a 2 hour ride today. After adjusting it the fit was ok but for me it took the pressure off shoulders but could really feel the strap on my chest and tonight I feel a bit bruised.

Going to look at the vests and other alternatives above.

https://www.merlincycles.com/camelbak-chase-bike-vest-hydration-pack-2018-129288.html look a neat solution for doing longer duration rides, with plenty of stash pockets plus the hydration pack.

Evoc bumbag here too, the one that was a 30 quid PSA, very good. Only use my bag on big mountain days now.

davros

I’ve got one if these which is a bargain at 25

Dakine shuttle

Very lightweight and comfortable

jayx2a

How does the stash feel with a bladder in? Does it pull it down at the front or make it feel uncomfortable?

Does it take any bladder or are there certain recommendations that fit better?

jayx2a

Ordered a chase vest from Merlin. Decent enough price!

jayx2a

So used the chase vest this weekend and bit of feedback.

Only carried water, phone, mini tool and energy bar.

First impressions were that it was more comfortable than other packs – expecially under the arms. It feels strange at first as the bladder sit near enough direct on your back so you can feel a bit more movement of the water.

But you soon forget about it as you ride.

Was great to have the essentials in the pockets at the front – easy to access phone for a photo/call and no need to take pack off for a quick snack.

Not sold on the mouthpeice – much prefer hydrapak one as its round and you dont have to have it a specific way for the bite to work. I tried to attach my hydrapak one but the hose on the new camelpaks is now bigger and it will not fit. You can attach the entire hose from a hydrapak on there, but then it is a bit too slim to sit flish in the clips at the front of the pack. Will just have to get used to it.

The hose is quite long too – on the slow hills it kept tapping on my knee but no bother as easy just to trim as desired.

Also – water got warm far quicker than other packs – due to how close it sits on the back. My EVOC pack moves the bladder away from you but at the expense of a more ridged feel so cant have it all. Freezing or part freezing the liquid might be a good idea for the hotter days.

Overall though, its a nice and minimul pack. Light, well built and does what it needs to do.

Not perfect – but will do for now!

Premier Icon davosaurusrex
    Subscriber

Anyone got the latest Camelbak Lobo? Looks about the right size for my needs

Premier Icon roverpig
    Subscriber

I’ve been using the Chase Vest for a few weeks and would echo most of what has been said above.

My main annoyance is with the little loop that you hang the bladder off as it’s just that bit too short, making it a bit fiddly to remove. Other than that I’m really liking mine. I love the fact that I can quickly whip the phone out to check a route, send messages, check the name of that peak with PeakFinder, take a picture etc and I’ll often leave it on if I’m just stopping for a quick snack too.

FWIW this is what I’ve managed to jam in mine:

Front Left pocket
    Iphone 7 plus
    Tyre boot
    Plasters and an adhesive dressing

Front Right pocket
    Snacks (usually 2-3 bars)
    Bandage
    Gauze tape

Rear Pockets

Tube
    Pump
    Mini-tool
    Wolftooth quicklink pliers
    Zip ties
    Dynaplug tubeless repair
    Savlon
    Midge spray
    Emergency blanket
    Hat
    Showerproof or waterproof jacket depending on conditions

I’m not using the little zipped pocket on the rear at the moment, but it would be a good place for some emergency cash/card.

Since it sits so high I could wear a jersey with rear pockets and still access those if I wanted to carry more as well.

jayx2a

Haha thats a lot you crammed in! The loop at the top is a strange one, but works I guess but agree a bit of a fiddle.

I’m a medium to larger gent, but the more I lose weight the better I think it will fit.

Couple of times I went to take a slurp and the bite valve was in wrong place – just to to dial it in next ride.

Premier Icon roverpig
    Subscriber

Yes, it’s pretty crammed (especially if I take the larger jacket) and it did require a bit of downsizing of my kit (new multi-tool and a smaller pump), but it all fits and feels good. Plus, the next time I crash I might actually be able to reach my first aid stuff. I ride on my own and the last two times were arm fractures and I found I couldn’t remove my pack so the first aid stuff was pretty useless 🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.