Small child seats / carriers for a bike

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Small child seats / carriers for a bike
  • damascus

Little D will be 2 in January, (doesn’t time fly!)

Hes been riding around on the back of my bike on a child seat and although this works I can’t see him and I have to fix a huge heavy box to the downtube which sometimes hits my legs when riding.

My friend has a setup where his kid sits on the toptube and when it’s not in use its just a headset adapter that’s on the bike.

So, what are STW using? I like the idea of him in front of me so he can see where he’s going but as he’s still young I’d like some kind of seat belt. Ideally when not in use as small and light as possible.

In last weeks FGF at the bottom there’s a kid on one with a belt that looks perfect. Any ideas what it is?</span>

Fresh Goods Friday 474 – The Bikes, Beanies and Extra Kevin Edition

View this post on Instagram

It's new test bike day, and someone is pleased…

A post shared by Antony (@getthybearings) on

Also if anyone has anything for sale, let me know.

Thanks

escrs

Ive got a Thule Yepp Nexxt Mini for sale on eBay

Mounts to the steerer tube only and comes with three quick release mounts so it can be easily transferred between 3 bikes without having to unstrap and remove the child

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254407385234?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

We got one of these out front and it’s great – very well made, quick to mount. BUT laddo doesn’t like it. He much prefers sitting behind me on a back seat.

Will have to see if sprog 2 likes it in a few months

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/child-bike-seats/front-mounted-child-bike-seats/thule-ridealong-mini-_-100104

damascus

@cp that looks like the one on stw fgf. Do you have a picture of what’s left on the bike when not in use?

Why didn’t little cp like it?

Thanks

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

@damascus I think it’s because he’s can’t see me. He’s a lot more enthusiastic and chatty when on the back than the front.

Premier Icon breadcrumb
    Subscriber

We started with a WeeRide when little miss breadcrumb was about 9 months old, which was fine but you do have ride with your knees out.

Then we progressed on to a Mac-Ride, far quicker to fit and remove and a lot more compact. We love ours.

stanstorey

There is nothing better than a mac ride…
    Not cheap, but it just works, means you can near enough ride normally without your knees out at an angle.

My now 3 year old has been on it for over a year and absolutely loves it.
    We do blue runs at haldon forest, local common muddy rides etc and it has genuinely improved our lives!

It’s also mighty good for fitness, imagine strapping a bag of cement to the top tube….

My father has the other steerer spacer adapter on his e bike, so we can swap the seat easy between bikes and give my legs a rest.

We also bought the ebike adapter kit which allows the mac ride to fit over a chunky battery filled down tube.

As said it genuinely takes less than a minute to fit each time, the weeride seat I had before was just a complete pain.

Other thing worth noting, we personally think it’s unsafe to use one of these without a dropper post on your bike. Stopping at a junction etc is very very hard with the saddle at full height, and no where to slide yourself forwards and down to a safe standing stop.

Premier Icon Shackleton
    Subscriber

We use a “kids ride shotgun” with my 2yo daughter. Absolutely fantastic, she loves it, we can sing and chat and it is quick to fit /remove when I don’t want it on for proper rides.

Have also found that old seal skins with the toes cut out and zip tied around the bars makes good waterproof/windproof “gloves” or pogies for little hands.

stevemuzzy

Mac ride is amazing. My son is 3 and loves it, has started standing up over bumps/jumps now.

Bought multiple headset spacers, so although predominately on the Anthem as above, he has been down the blue & red at Glentress on the Nomad 🙂

We have a wee ride he started on, which his sister will rock till she is 2.

Cold, dark, wet, muddy…having a ball !

A post shared by Steven Murray (@steve_muzzy) on

Hurry up mum!

A post shared by Steven Murray (@steve_muzzy) on

klunky

I’m looking into these.
    The consensus seems to be that they are all good and kids like em all!

jamesfts

When ours were little we had a WeeRide which was great as it gave them a bit more support and they’re strapped in. They are big and bulky though.

Both have since progressed to a Kids Ride Shotgun seat which is bloody great, looked at both this and the MacRide and didn’t think it was worth double be the money. Super easy to fit and way more compact than the WeeRide so makes riding much more comfortable.

Agree with the above about a dropper post being really helpful.

Premier Icon moonsaballoon
    Subscriber

My smallest has been on the thule since he was about 1, in fact he was on it yesterday round Canada woods from stevemuzzy pics 😁 with him on the front and using the towee to help his big brother gets you a good workout!

Will get one of the kids ride shotguns for next summer hopefully when he’s a bit bigger.

Definitely use a dropper

damascus

The kids ride shotgun looks very good.

DT78

2 weerides here, they are great but the 4.5 year old is getting a bit too big for it now. I can just about wedge him in! I like the look of the shotgun but it’s very pricey. There is much cheaper similar style by Oxford I’m thinking about for the school run

miketado

Something we found with a Thule / Yepp mini was that our daughter loved it, but both my partner and I really struggled to reach around it being about 5’6” on a size small Solaris (Mk1). That was with a very short stem and big back swept trekking bars fitted too.
    She now has a hamax which she loves. The shotgun review on STW looks good for shorter folk tho and that and the Mac ride is something we’re looking at now she’s coming up to 2…

Premier Icon dmorts
    Subscriber

I’d love to get a Mac Ride for my son, he’s a bit young for one at the moment though. The Hamax Siesta is a good price at Decathlon currently. Is there anything else worth looking at rear seat wise (i.e. that’s a bit cheaper)?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.