Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Small cheap bike friendly car
  • rossburton
    Free Member

We’ve a bigger car for normal use but still have our old Honda Jazz, which I call the “dirty car”. Bike rack always on the roof and boot full of mud from dog walks. However it’s starting to fall apart so am thinking about replacing it.

Needs: space on the roof for 3-4 bikes. The jazz can take 4 no problem. Often ride with our two kids so needs to happily seat four people.
    Cheap: ideally a 2010- model and <£5K.
    Automatic gearbox.

Another Jazz is one candidate. Also wondering about a Fabia. A friend was selling a golf estate which was interesting although I’d prefer to get a hatch nor estate purely for length reasons. The jazz has been useful when parking for riding where there isn’t a car park.

So what’s a good, practical, smallish car?

tomd
    Free Member

Fabia or Ibiza estate. Suzuki SX4 maybe.

ferrals
    Free Member

I have a Fabia estate. It’s lasted really well with minimal attention and has a lot of space inside. I race cx and, front wheels off and seat down it can fit two bikes, bike washing and maintenance stuff, bag of race clothes etc etc. Really roomy. Also fits 1 mtb / cx inside with wheels on. It’s quite narrow so not sure about four bikes on the roof but I’ve never tried.
    Economical with petrol too (1.2l engine

highlandman
    Free Member

Mrs has been driving Fabia Estates for ten years now; both 1.2 petrol, the current one is the Tsi. Gutsy, tough, comfortable and easy to drive; it’s a nimble handler. We live half a mile down a rough farm track and it copes remarkably well with the challenges; it doesn’t eat suspension components here in the way that my Passats and current Superb have.
    Surprisingly spacious and gets 2 bikes chucked in it regularly like Ferrals’ above. The extra height of the roof in this design is handy with getting bikes inside but needs borne in mind when thinking roof racks!
    1.2 petrol engines are made in Czech and are a much better long term bet than the Spanish built 1.4 petrol unit.

MoreCashThanDash

Skoda Fabia not a bad choice, might be a squeeze getting four bikes on the roof. We have manual and DSG versions, the TSI engine is great. Unless you are really limited on length, the estate would be a good idea.

As you can’t see it from the inside, seriously look at the Skoda Roomster, Fabia on steroids. We test drove one and preferred it to our first Fabia, but it is a bit longer, which we didn’t need at the time.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I had a fabia estate, it’s a tad narrow inside. Civics ain’t much bigger than your jazz, but are utterly cavernous, and you’ll defo get one on budget.

I sold mine in July for 2k, full leather and electrics, all the toys, 95k on the clock, never missed a beat.

simon_g

Civic but with the proper automatic, not the I-shift. Thats the facelift “moustache” grille ones.

rossburton
    Free Member

Our main car is a 2015 Civic (with proper dual clutch), so yes I entirely agree with your statements about those. A slightly older one was an option.

jugheaddave
    Free Member

Vauxhall Meriva.
    I love mine, cheap to buy, cheap to run, and loads of room when seat are flat. (think small van)

b230ftw
    Free Member

Although people take the mick a Honda Jazz is quite a wonderful vehicle, reliable, good engines, weirdly big inside but small outside.

matt_outandabout

We’ve the Spanish version of the Fabia – an Ibiza estate (‘ST’ in Seat speak).
    Bought at 3 years old/24k. It’s just turned 90k/8 years old. It’s had a couple of minor bits, such as new rear shocks, but other than that it’s been routine servicing. Ours is the old 1.4 16v simple engine, of cheap to insure for learners and maintenance.

It’s a great car – small and nimble with a huge boot. Comfy enough. Good space for 4 of us. We’ve regularly had 3 bikes on the roof.

The Fabia estate is marginally bigger inside all around.

When this one goes to the scrappy, I’ll buy another small estate car. It’s the perfect thing for us as second family car.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fabia estate is a great wee car, I had the 1.2 which was a bit thirsty, better with a bigger engine. It was half the price of a Skoda Yeti at the time, and had more soace inside.

squirrelking
    Free Member

First thing I thought of was a Jazz before I even read the thread. Stick with what you know.

Civic isn’t a bad shout either.

sharkattack

A friend was selling a golf estate which was interesting although I’d prefer to get a hatch nor estate purely for length reasons.

Is a Golf estate even any longer than a 5 door Golf? I looked at one and it wasn’t exactly cavernous. It was more like a hatchback with a longer roof and massive boot. It was a really nice drive as well.

I like the look of those sharp, angular little Fabia’s but they look tiny in comparison.

Poopscoop

Horrid looking to many but dirt cheap and huge inside, MK1 Vauxhall Agila.

tomaso
    Free Member

The Jazz is unique in terms of the ratio of external and internal space. Not had one newer than 2005 so can’t comment on the new ones, but they get on with their job without fuss. Mine was utterly reliable and only needed a back box and some pads in 3 years.

If you get a Fabia I think you will really notice how much you miss the smart features of the Jazz.

Van derived cars like the Berlingo and Kango provide lots of space in a small package, but struggle to hide the fact they are really vans.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Horrid looking to many but dirt cheap and huge inside, MK1 Vauxhall Agila.

Which is just a rebadged Suzuki Wagon R

matt_outandabout

Suzuki Wagon R

Which amazingly is big enough to make a camper out of… My father still has his and is looking to move it on.

olly2097
    Free Member

Berlingo multispace.

vinnyeh

Post 2015 Fabia estate has a relatively huge boot for it’s class- 530l – v90 volvo is around 560l for comparison.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Small cheap bike friendly car’ is closed to new replies.