Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Small car accident – what would you do?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Leaving a car park and an old guy pulled out of a junction just as I passed and hit the back. The damage was really light but it’s there and will need repairing.

I immediately stopped but he flatly refused to accept he hit my car despite the damage to both cars – saying the damage was old and saying I was a ‘con-man’ with lots of colourful language too. Subsequently he refused to exchange details and an argument ensued. I pointed out the legal obligation to tell me the details so he demanded the police came – I said that I doubted they would come as it was a small accident and no-one injured. In the end I called the police and the operator told him he had to give me the details but he still refused. Eventually they decided to call out an officer and he gave the officer his details ( who passed them straight to me of course).

I just feel it was a huge waste of their time over such a trivial incident that got blown out of all proportion by this bloke’s refusal to accept he might have been involved in a crash and subsequent refusal to exchange details.

Mad.

althepal

Fannies everywhere in life, even on here!
    Let the insurance sort it out.. I’m sure the coppers statement will reflect what actually happened.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’de ask for advice on an obscure bike forum.

Oh. I see.

😉

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

do him for whiplash!

im sure thats the “done” thing at the moment!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Lol I don’t think I could make a whiplash claim for this one – it was a really minor bump. But his attitude wound me up – drove into the side of my car then flatly denied it and even (initially) refusing to listen to the police ( I really believe he thought they were going to arrest me for being some kind of con-man though 🙂 )

samuri
    Free Member

One old bloke, the day after my wedding, forgot to put his handbrake on and his car rolled into mine. I confronted him about it (again, only a little bit of damage), and he denied it completly despite someone seeing it happen. He got in his car and drove off. I got the witness details and called the police, meh! Was their response. “Have you called your insurance company?” Which was fair enough.

So I did. Jebus! The long, protracted drawn out, pain in the arse arguments and letters. I reckon I could have got the damage fixed on my car for less than a hundred quid at a local chap I know. This went on for six months at least. What a waste of time and money. I wished I’d never called my insurance company.

As far as I was concerned, this guy left the scene of the accident and was entirely to blame backed up by a witness but his insurance company got their lawyesr involved! For a few quids worth of damage! Crazy!

Next time? I’d have decked him and emptied his wallet to pay for the damage.

zokes
    Free Member

Someone did this to my wife, but did at least exchange mobile numbers, and she took down his numberplate. So, as the number he gave her turned out to be poppycock, we ambled to the local rozzers, where (fortunately for him) he called in a fit of conscience. He got to have a nice chat with the desk sergeant who ‘reminded’ him of his obligation…

Kuco

A woman pulled out in front of me then refused to give her details. I eventually called the police after trying to be nice and co-operative and the operator could hear the woman ranting and raving and calling me everything under the sun over the phone demanding I pay her cash for the repair and asked if that was the woman I hit. When I said yes she just replied with don’t worry an officer is on his way. Within a few minutes two police cars turned up.

Surprising how co-operative she suddenly became.

I know it sounds horrible but it made my day when the police said her car was un-drivable 😈

tinribz
    Free Member

I backed in to someone last year, first time ever has been my fault, passed on details. Wrecked her bumper & bonnet with my towbar.

One phone call to my insurance and then weeks later a letter saying all sorted. No excess, no-claims not effected because I had no damage.

Don’t understand why people make such a fuss.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I just feel it was a huge waste of their time over such a trivial incident

It was. But caused by him being a dick and not by you. Not much more you could have done.

sweepy
    Free Member

In the general run of things I wouldn’t be that bothered if someone put a ding in my car, But his attitude would have given me the arse-ache.

faz083
    Free Member

what details do you need? Take his registration and claim he drove from the scene of an accident, 6 points right there. You just need a witness

satchm00
    Free Member

To be honest it’s not the first time and it won’t be the last. Just give it to the insurance company if your making a claim.

Some sad strange people out there.

globalti
    Free Member

Ten percent of drivers are NOT INSURED.

Does that explain some of the behaviour described?

boblo
    Free Member

tinribz – Member

Don’t understand why people make such a fuss.

Because they want it to be someone elses fault, whatever the circumstances. Just see recent ‘car vs. stationary bollard’ on here recently. <sigh>

hora
    Free Member

MF have you detailed the incident to your Insurer/made notes and pics?

My fear is this bloke puts in a claim to your insurer for ‘injuries’ and/or a accident management car allege ding you reserved etc into him.

zokes
    Free Member

Ten percent of drivers are NOT INSURED.

Still? I thought ANPR was slowly making this a thing of the past.

hora
    Free Member

Still? I thought ANPR was slowly making this a thing of the past.

Speed cameras dont have ANPR and if you keep off the main roads/Motorways……

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

what details do you need? Take his registration and claim he drove from the scene of an accident, 6 points right there. You just need a witness

The thing was, he wouldn’t drive off either! He was determined the police came because he thought I was a con-man. To be honest I wish he HAD driven off because it would have been easier to deal with.

Hora – not spoken to anyone and not planning on doing so because (on reflection) it will just end up being a world of hassle over a small mark that I will be able to polish out for the most part. The police have it on record that he denied being involved in an accident anyway (and I now have a crime reference number covering that).

higgo
    Free Member

I may be wrong but aren’t you obliged to tell your insurance company about it?

If it’s on record with the police, I’d get it on record with your insurers.

hora
    Free Member

Why? Its none of their business if the other chap is on record as denying it.

They’d just increase MF’s premiums on renewal for years.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

They’d just increase MF’s premiums on renewal for years.

Yup

Gonna leave it and just dig out the T-Cut…

project
    Free Member

pop his reg number into http://www.askmid.co.uk and se if the car has insurance, its free.

Yellow box top right hand side of page.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yup – he is insured.

kcal

yonks ago some woman knocked me off my bike on a roundabout, “she didn’t see me”.

I asked her for her details, she said she didn’t give out her details to strangers. I politely asked her if she only drove into people she knew. She got cross and drove off. Luckily I had witnesses, and called the police. They were very good, and apparently went off to visit her to “have a chat” and as you say, remind her of her obligations.

Cougar

Spam reported. Several replies from people who can’t read to follow.

wwaswas

long rambling post tangentially related to the original one offering nothing more than rehash of the previous 20 posts made 7 months ago

Jerome
    Free Member

I had one where my car was hit unattended on the street.
    Someone – I do not know whom left a reg under the windscreen.
    I contacted police- they said not interested.
    Insurance company tried to follow up, to be told that the car in question had no knowledge of such a collision.
    However it seems they were claiming for damage to their car through a parking accident.
    I did consider getting address and popping round, but not really my style.
    Anyway it went no where,and I was left with a big dent.
    That is why I have crappy cars, as I have to park them on the street..

alfabus
    Free Member

we have a winner!! 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

Sometimes STW is all comfy and predictable like that 🙂

br
    Free Member

1 If you don’t report it to your Insurance Co. and he does…, they’ll ‘black mark’ you – irrelevent of who’s fault it is and if there are any costs.

Or

2 Report it and it will probably go knock-for-knock, but you’ll only lose no-claims if there is a cost to repair your car.

Personally I’d go for option one, and say you hadn’t realised you had to report as there was no damage and no-one was hurt.

Although by law you do need to report it to the Police – as I found out a few years ago…

flowerpower
    Free Member

And for second place… is there a prize for third? 😀

neninja
    Free Member

We had someone drive off a couple of years ago. Sitting at a roundabout waiting for a gap when the car behind rams pretty hard into us. I pulled across the roundabout, pulled over and got out and the other car drove straight past at speed and took off.

I jumped in the car and chased after them. They obviously thought they’d lost me as 1/2 mile away in a housing estate the car stopped outside a shop and a passenger started to get out but clocked me and took off again. I’d got the wife and kids in the car so left it at this point but had managed to get the registration when we caught up.

Reported to the police. We thought it must have been an uninsured driver. It turned out the car was insurd so I can only assume someone was driving who shouldn’t have been or was boozed up. The police provided the insurance details but took no action against the driver which I found pretty incredible.

alfabus
    Free Member

yay, 3 down… any more? 8)

wwaswas

This resurection has exceeded all expectations 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Advice to Mrs Gti from a friend who works for a car nsurance company:

“I did NOT tell you this, okay? If you have a small knock do not inform your insurance company, settle it and get the damage repaied yourself. Otherwise after a couple of small incidents the insurance company will have you down as an “accident magnet” and your premiums will begin to creep up.”

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Small car accident – what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.