• This topic has 2,037 replies, 151 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 2,038 total)
  • Small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts, rush goalie. World cup thread.
  • handybar
    Free Member

Croatia were still less physical than Columbia, they just had more class in the team, they dominated the midfield from the start of the second half and perhaps Southgate should have bought on Dier to work with Henderson to shore things up there.

chewkw
    Free Member

Croatia were still less physical than Columbia, they just had more class in the team, they dominated the midfield from the start of the second half and perhaps Southgate should have bought on Dier to work with Henderson to shore things up there.

Croatia has strong compact midfield from day one so very difficult to play them.

handybar
    Free Member

On the plus side I don’t have to hear people telling me It’s Coming Home, including members of the Royal Family.

Perhaps we could save that until the second immediately after England win a world cup.

blader1611
    Free Member

Dele Ali has done very little in this world cup, he has looked bang average. I hate to say it but Rashford didnt really affect the game at all tonight. I think that England team needed a better passer in midfield, carrick in his day would have been ideal.

dazh

I think that England team needed a better passer

Jonjo 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oh well. Now the country can go back to it’s natural state of grumpy mild depression.

Put the kettle on.

bruneep

kimbers

Lowest expectation I can remember of an England team, so should be happier, but<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>I It actually seemed possible that it could ‘come home'</span>

Glorifying 1966 always seemed pretty sad, it was over half a century ago.

Would have been great to actually have it in my lifetime.

My kids are 7 & 5 and they’ve been so excited, o just wish they could’ve had the memory of England getting the trophy.

Anyway too many beers for a school night

hodgynd
    Free Member

Can’t understand these 3rd or 4th place ..play-offs

What’s the point ?

Can anyone remember ( without looking it up ) who finished 3rd & 4th in Brazil last time out ?

I won’t be watching or even that interested in hearing the result ..

More bike time now ..methinks

jamj1974

They should be proud of their own efforts and the team.  Evidently, Gareth is a world-class leader too.

I would be proud as hell to work in a group as loyal, dedicated and skilled as that.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Carrick 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Klunk
    Free Member

has southgate tendered his resignation yet ?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Disagree klunk – at least Lingard makes good runs and stretches teams. Alli just strolls! Perhaps he’s playing deeper than usual or he’s carrying that injury from the first match, guess if that’s the case he has to be honest about his fitness.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

It’s enough for me that the England football team isn’t populated in the main by tossers, which appeared to be the case for the last 30 years or so.

Northwind

As a lifelong horrible **** and scotsman I really want to take the piss but… that was awesome. I really hope England can manage to be proud of the team even though they “failed” because just look at the state of them at the end, they’d given everything and done better than dreamed and basically deserve to go home proud.

dazh

As well as the misfiring Stirling and ineffectual rashford, where was Kane? Totally anonymous since the group stages. Gary Neville reckoned he was was injured. Or maybe just overrated?

theotherjonv

I am Northwind. Very.

Klunk
    Free Member

least the tories can’t call a snap election on the back of world cup feel good factor. thanks gareth.

rOcKeTdOg

So who’s favourite to replace Southgate then?

Cletus

Good effort from a limited team. I think England can potentially improve if some of the currently emerging players, such as Foden and Sancho, get time playing for their clubs.

As someone previously commented it was great that the team seemed to play as a team rather than sticking with petty club cliques.

Caher

Definitely sack the manager and to save time sack the next one too. Croatia are a damm good side, full of stars from the best teams in Europe. No shame losing to these guys.

alpin
    Free Member

If only the forwards could play more one or two touch football rather than trying to hold onto the ball in front of the box before kicking to to the next man along.

So many missed opportunities where just whacking the ball at the goal or into the defence would have likely led to a corner.

Fair play to them,  mind…. Lots for them to work on.

Pickford is solid.

Just wish football could use VAR in the same vein as rugby. Felt there were a lot of decisions being given based on theatrics. Although this isn’t specific to this game, rather the world cup as a whole.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

The take away from tonight for me is this:

My generation of players have shown more class than every previous team since 1966. It’s my generation that went to school and University during the 2008 financial crash and the realisation that we now had to compete with the developing world. It’s my generation that voted against Brexit and were happy to compete and test themselves against immigrants from Europe.

My generation are harder than everyone but the wartime generation – so a big **** you to all you boomers and 70’s kids. We showed more class than you bellends tonight.

😀

We’re going to do a better job of running this country than you entitled ****. Genuinely proud of the class shown by the England team and the camaraderie shown between my colleagues and friends of my generation….. of all persuasions (Muslim immigrants, Scots, Irish, Welsh, Kiwis, and Aussies who were all out in force to support England tonight in London).

seosamh77
    Free Member

ffs 😆 That is as good a reason as any to illustrate why I prefer world cup without the home nations in it!

raybanwomble
    Free Member

**** ya’ll, you lot produced this snivelling long haired gimpy shitbag.

seosamh77
    Free Member

c’mon rayban, you’re making it very difficult to hold back on taking the piss here! 😆

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

No unattended bin or for sale sign will be safe. Lets prey.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Raybanwomble ..

Unfortunately my generation produced some tosspots like yourself ..get a grip for f–ksake you moron

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

handybar

Member(and Lee Dixon knows nothing about football).

Bit harsh. You might not agree with him ….but 4 league titles, 3 FA Cup wins, 1 league cup win, 700 plus professional appearances from old 4th division to champions league and internationals …. Would suggest he knows something.

piemonster

Genuine LOL at Rayban 😂

theotherjonv

In other news, a bloke gave his life to help dig 12 little boys out of a cave, and someone on here is burying his partner and mother to their four young kids today.

Let’s not turn into a bunch of ***** over a football match. We know what Shankly said, but there are more important things.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Hey you know what …. It’s coming home.

It’s not going to be on Sunday and it may not be in four years time. But one day…. one day …. It’s coming home.

This team has me believing that, even if it ends up not any of them doing it. … They should be proud of themselves.

Cletus

@raybanwomble

Well said! Your post has convinced me that you are the man to solve all the countries problems and bring unity to a fractured land.

Get on the blower to Theresa and tell her you are taking over!

theotherjonv

Article on one of the news sites. It already has. Not the World Cup, maybe, but football. This team has brought people together, and if we want it to and allow it to, will continue to do so through another qualification, the Euros (where we are co-hosting and have the semi’s and final in 2020) and on.

I think it was Gary Neville last night hit the nail on the head. The ‘international break’ – when players leave their clubs and go to play game (often friendlies) – was seen as a hindrance, getting in the way of club loyalties for fans, and more games that players didn’t want in a congested season. It doesn’t have to be like that.

My daughter was in bits last night, but we already agreed we’re going to their first game back to applaud them again. I want to look forward to the international break to see how this bunch develop, and I want them to look forward to it too, where they meet up again with a bunch of mates and enjoy playing for their country.

They’ll still kick lumps out of each other on all the other Saturdays though….it’s the English way 😉

legend
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Genuine LOL at Rayban

The best bit is that he’s 31, so not even the same generation as the team anyway 🙂

</div>

NZCol

Impressive first 30 minutes. Second half they really switched off, so many times they were back to the ball and the second goal was the same – ball in the air on the 18 yard line and Stone walking back, couldn’t turn and defend. Not good enough.

croatias midfield utterly bossed the second half and we lost our structure. Shame, young team undone by the situation. Kane was completely invisible ?

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Premier Icontheotherjonv

In other news, a bloke gave his life to help dig 12 little boys out of a cave, and someone on here is burying his partner and mother to their four young kids today.

Let’s not turn into a bunch of ***** over a football match. We know what Shankly said, but there are more important things

Agreed – of course these tragic events also have separate thread to comment and support on.

ctk
    Free Member

Dele Alli or Sterling for me but not both.  Jonjo in that midfield pinging crosses in from anywhere / playing Vardy through would have been useful

Hope Croatia win, I think France will be too good though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good post rayban 👌

However you generation brought us Love Island so that’s mitigated every good point in your post.

💄💋

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I think 30 technically makes me a Millenial.

Also, I resent the Love Island charge. It was you lot who brought us this shit in the first place, with Big Brother.

Anyway, now I need to get rid of the taste of stale whiskey lol. arghhh.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 2,038 total)

The topic ‘Small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts, rush goalie. World cup thread.’ is closed to new replies.