Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Small bolt rounded out
  • getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ve managed to round out the 1.5mm hex bolt that holds the fork adjuster on. What will I be able to drive into the head to unscrew it? I don’t want to have to resort to a drill, ideally.

Keef
    Free Member

torx bit.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Will a T10 fit in? I was thinking a Torx tbh. I think I might have some smaller Torx bits hanging around though. If that doesn’t work is it a small flat bladed screwdriver next?

mau00149
    Free Member

Can you get a hack saw blade across the head and then use a large flat head screw driver…although no good if head recessed into something though

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

is the head above the surrounding metal – cut a slot and use a flat bladed screwdriver. sometimes putting two blades in a hacksaw is a good idea to get a wider slot for a bigger screwdriver

getonyourbike
    Free Member

No, unfortunately it’s recessed

bencooper
    Free Member

Get a spare 1.5mm Allen key, and hit it with a hammer a bit to make it slightly flatter – that might grip better.

neninja
    Free Member

Torx all the way. I had a small hex round on me the other day. Knocked a slightly larger torx into it with a soft head mallet and it worked a treat.

Northwind

Aye, find a torq that doesn’t fit, then make it fit. Don’t aim for a particular size- with such a small bolt head that’ll vary depending on how badly rounded it is.

Also, ought to go without saying but you only get one good shot at it, so before you do nuke the site with every other trick you know… Freeze spray, heat, proper penetrating oil… If you can, drop it in a tub of paraffin or diesel overnight, that’s the Ron Jeremy of ironmongery. Whatever caused it to round out in the first place is still there after all- lots of people obsess about the rounded bolt and forget that it’s also stuck.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

This must have been caused by either the hex key or the head being slightyly less than perfect and it makes quite a differenc with such a small bolt head. At least it’s torqued low.

I’ll get some WD on it and get a Torx bit out then. Thanks!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

depending how deep its recessed a dremmel might be able to cut a slot. if the torx fails

Frankers
    Free Member

You can have problems with smaller size hexagon sockets (screws) when using some hexagon keys, the tolerance is quite big, on larger sizes it’s not a problem but on smaller sizes it can cause an issue with fit and rounding of the socket, especially on non high tensile bolts & screws.

I have a set of Park folding keys that I use on smaller screws as they’re a closer fit

I’ve got spare torx drivers at work and could check what will fit, but I’ve got a feeling T6 will be too big

Mail me if you want me to check – pedalfaster at gmail dot com

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’m working on it now. I’ve found some T5 and 6s to try. Hopefully it will work

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Done! The T5 was too small but the T6 worked fine. Disaster averted! 😀 Now to get on with the damper, dual air spring and lower leg service 😮

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Small bolt rounded out’ is closed to new replies.