Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Small Block 8s – who uses them?
  • uplink
    Free Member

Tried a pair of these on Dalby's pretty dry trails yesterday

Very fast rolling [obviously] & they're very quiet to boot

I don't think I could live with one on the front though, it may just have been a confidence thing but it had me taking it a lot easier at times.
    The rear was good though & if we're blessed with a dry spring/summer, I think I'll leave it on

Does anyone run them back & front in the dry weather?
    They are going to fail big time if there's any mud or wet vegetation around but do they work reasonably well on wet hard pack?

shortcut

I ran them last spring, summer until I got a big hole in one.

They work fine in both dryand wet depending on what and where you ride!

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Looking forward to slinging them back on my bike. Ace tyres. oodles of grip in the dry, surprisingly good in the wet, and fast fast fast in the dry!

Edric64
    Free Member

I thought this thread was about car engines before opening it!

nuke

Good fast tyres front and rear but I found them quite delicate…light tyre so the knock on is the sidewalls are pretty thin.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I use them from time to time, they're surprisingly grippy but the lack of aggressive tread on the front can make the steering nervous.

I liked mine, but I have to echo the comments that they're fragile.

Keva
    Free Member

now and again, only when it's very dry though.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

What about a nevegal up front and a small block 8 rear?

forgotmename
    Free Member

I had 1st ride with small block on rear and panaracer razer xc on front, very fast, did notice it lacks a bit of grip when hauling the anchors on heading towards a shut gate, it did stop and i only soiled myself a bit. Could only find 1 so cant comment on its abilaty on the front.

Northwind

I love 'em… If you want to run one up front go with the 2.35 IMO, it rolls almost the same as the 2.1 and has a lot more grip. And if your riding takes in rocks or roots at all, run the pressure just a little lower than you usually would, this really seems to pay off.

the_lecht_rocks

michelin dry2 re-inforced – WAY superior

ooOOoo
    Free Member

What about a nevegal up front and a small block 8 rear?

Been running that for a couple of months, great. Sacrificing grip for speed on the back @35psi, sketchy but fun :0

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

im running f/r on 2 new bikes,loving the speed baby

genghispod
    Free Member

I put them on one of my bikes f&r end of last summer. A lot grippier than you would expect in the wet on sandy/loamy trails. Put my old WTB Timberwolf on the front to ride the downhill tracks at Puddletown a couple of weeks back; wished I'd left the SB8 on instead.

br
    Free Member

My son has them on his 4x bike, he's happy with them, but he's only 35kg and I've tubeless'ed them at 25psi.

Seem a bit fragile for real weight people.

miketually
    Free Member

I'm thinking of running them for the Kielder 100, should roll a bit better than the 2.2" Mountain Kings I used last year! 'Training' with MK 2.4s at the moment, so should feel a lot faster on SB8s.

will
    Free Member

Just taken a set off recently. They are fast, but lack aggressive tread, so I've put Maxxis Aspens on.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

I run one at the back but wouldn't want it up front, they are surprisingly effective even in some claggy mud.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Small Block 8s – who uses them?’ is closed to new replies.