Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Small 26" frame for a tall 10 year old?
  • Euro
    Free Member

My eldest is getting big. Too big for his 24″ carrera bike. I was thinking of building him up a big boys bike using whatever i can borrow off the carerra and from bits lying about in the shed. I do have a DMR Drone that I could build up smallish and stick a few gears on, but it might be a bit heavy. I’m thinking a lightish xc style hardtail of some description would be better. Any recommendations or anyone selling something suitable?

He’s about 5’3″ at the minute. Maybe 5’4″ by morning.

Cheers

docrobster
    Free Member

I built up a 13 inch brand x trail frame (aka ragley shitehawk) last Xmas for my daughter who is older and shorter than your son. £80 off crc not sure if still available.

takisawa2

Spesh do a 12″ Hotrock with 26″ wheels.
    Pretty rare though. I picked one up for my lad S/H, but its likely to be a long time till it fits him. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

My wife is shorter than that and has ridden a 14″ Inbred.

Euro
    Free Member

I checked out a few sites, but didn’t see anything suitable within budget so i had a rummage in the shed and stole his mums seat and seatpost and stuck a set of BIG 50mm rise dmr wingbars on it. It looks class 😀 . I’ve a set of old uturn revs out on on loan that i’ll stick on. It might do the trick for now.

Measured his frame and it’s 12″ so a 14″ Inbred would be spot on. I’ll be watching for one of them.

Much obliged sirs.

TiRed

Son2 is riding a 14″ Kona Blast Deluxe. See what you can find. Mine was previous year, and being a small, was half price at Rutland Cycles.

druidh
    Free Member

I may well have one for sale…..

PiknMix
    Free Member

Identities Dr Jekyll, standard is 13″ xl is 16″

br
    Free Member

+1 Dr Jekyll

I built my son one up, first with 24″‘s and then later with 26″‘s.

Orange one, and here been ridden by my eldest, who’s about 5’10” as you can see be the post…

MarcSussex
    Free Member

My son is the same age and around the same height and rides a 15″ rockhopper with no problems.

Euro
    Free Member

Looking like this as of last night. Nearly stuck a set of Marz DJ3 forks on it this morning, but they’re really only good for one hit and weigh a ton.

He’ll get a run out after school to see if it’s any better.

binners

How about a specific Kona Kids frame in the CRC sale at the moment. Bargain!

My daughters on a Carrera Blast 24″ at the moment too. Upgraded with Spank stem and bars, deore shifters, Avid BB5 brakes and Intense semi-slicks 😀

My old very-low-standover 16″ Pace RC305 is waiting in the shed for her move up to 26″

EDIT: Arse! Thats for 20″ wheels 🙁 They had the 26″ kids frames in the sale but they’ve all gone it appears

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes that is what my son rides and he is the smallest in his class at 7

nice bike though

matt_outandabout

We have a Islabikes Beinn 26 and it is superb. We also bought some cheap old Manitou Mars forks and it is light, great ‘shape’ to the geometry and fast.

Comrie Croft pump jump track by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    We also have a Trek 13″ frame – not as good a ‘shape’ – longer and higher – but lighter than the Islabike. Fitted with retrotastic Marzocchi X-Fly’s 8) Fast, but hardly used as he prefer’s his 24″ for nippyness at the moment.
    Finally mrs_oab’s XS Cannondale 9000SL – halfway between Trek and Islabikes in terms of shape and size – and blows both away for weight (but not as robust…), plus is disc’d up…

Callender Estates ride by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    All bought off here, Trek and Islabikes both sub £200 build, Cannondale was £250 IIRC.

Euro
    Free Member

Saw those Konas on CRC and got excited last night.

His bike is actually a girls Carrera Luna, bought as it has a decent reach but low standover (and it was blue for boys). I covered the flowery graphics with Da Bomb stickers one christmas eve to butch it up a bit. I don’t think he’d ride it if he knew 😀

zerocool

Small Meta 5. Fits a friend who’s 5’4″

binners

Euro – we could have swapped. I was after a girlies Luna but ended up with the boys lime green blast. I’ll pop a picture up later

Pity those Konas had gone. I think the 26″ frames were down to £70!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Small 26" frame for a tall 10 year old?’ is closed to new replies.