Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • SLX vs XT shifters?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

As title really, which are “better”? 9 speed models.

Ta, Duane.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Had both and couldn’t really tell the difference?

EDIT: Apart from the price.

PJM1974
    Free Member

SLX are ace! XT feel a little more SRAM-like if that helps…

As in there is more of an obvious tactile “clunk” when changing gear.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Had both cant tell the difference either

PJM1974
    Free Member

You’re all wrong! The shift indicator needles are every so slightly more orange on XT shifters….or is it the other way around?

*checks*

Bugger.

matt_outandabout

What is this SLX and XT you speak of? Deore FTW.

MSP

xt have bearings, slx just bushings. I think xt do feel nicer, but its a feel that fades into the background and disappears when out on the trail.

enfht
    Free Member

Is the shift indicator removable on slx like it is on xt ?

PJM1974
    Free Member

I think so…

billyboy
    Free Member

I’d go Deore rather than SLX.

XT from 2006/7 were good…..latest/last 9 spd xt are not very inspring but better than slx.

fenred
    Free Member

Is the shift indicator removable on slx like it is on xt ?

Yes, just done it this wkend…

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Generally speaking SLX and XT are pretty much the same, but XT shifters are LOADS better than SLX ones. Definitely worth paying extra. XTR are better still.

Edit: Definintely avoid Deore – nowhere near the same league as XTs. People who say otherwise are just deluding themselves. Seriously.

fenred
    Free Member

I’d go Deore rather than SLX.

XT from 2006/7 were good…..latest/last 9 spd xt are not very inspring but better than slx.

Unless you want 2 way release.

james
    Free Member

SLX come with removable shifter windows and blanking plates

I believe the difference (I’ve ‘stood-tested’ both, though at different times) is that XT (2008-2011 9spd) changes slightly quicker

On the release lever (ie going to lesser-toothed-sprockets/harder gears on ‘normal’ release mechs (not rapid rise), I think XT is supposed to release as soon as you push the lever, whereas SLX won’t release until you start to let go of the lever? In reality so long as you don’t have some sort of habit where you hold onto the release lever for too long, its going to be a very small difference

I could of course be wrong in thinking all of this ..

“Unless you want 2 way release”
    Which Deore 9speed has these days (at least from around mid-2008), though I imagine non-2-way release deore shifters will be hanging around somewhere online and probably came supplied on a few bikes in the meantime?

munrobiker
    Free Member

XT, SLX feels a bit cheap by comparison with a plastic lever and bushings.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Had both, sold the slx for xts. Much nicer feel imo. Feel more sold and less plasticky.

chubby_monk
    Free Member

I had 2004 XT shifters, which I reckon were better than my 2009 slx ones. I feel like I might be kidding myself, but I did have them running on different bikes at te same time

mrmo
    Free Member

XT are nicer than SLX, the feel, the materials, all just nicer to use. obviously if you then go and reuse some trashed old cables, and never clean anything you may never notice the difference.

my bike currently has one slx shifter and an one older XT shifter, only a matter of months, despite being older it is nicer to use.

midlifecrashes

XTR has multi-release where you can do two upshifts with one movement of the lever.

You can modify the XT to do the same, but not the SLX. Involves removing an L shaped bit of moulding inside. Brand new 780XT has it as standard(10 speed).

MTBR Thread about the hack

muckytee
    Free Member

I had the choice went for XTs they felt nicer. Down shifting feels “lighter” with them.

Scamper
    Free Member

Thought SLX were quite sloppy. Like deore and if i’d not tried XT be more than happy – nice clunky and positive shifts, if slow. Then changed to XT and the shift is way quicker and slicker – hardly need to press the shifter.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’ve got slx, xt and xtr and prefer the more expensive ones. I guess you just adapt tho!

I dont know if this is directly related – but got a new bike last month with slx 10 speed shifters and mech and didnt like them at all (felt plasticy / loose for some reason so took all the 10 speed stuff off the back and put the old xtr 9sp shifter / slx mech mish mash back on.

I guess you get used to everything – and whether its better spending extra on a shifter or putting the saving towards a weekend away (or whatever) is up to you!

Dickyboy

Bought XT shifters to “complete the groupset” regretted it went back to SLX, fell smoother & less clunky

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘SLX vs XT shifters?’ is closed to new replies.