Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • SLX Mech Issue
  • fathomer

After some advice.

M7000 SLX 11 speed mech on the wifes bike. When in the biggest sprocket (46t), with the clutch on, it will not shift back down the cassette. With the clutch off it shifts fine. Even backing all the tension off the clutch makes little difference.

I’ve tried greasing the clutch and that doesn’t seem to have helped. Unfortunately you can’t take SLX’s to bits like you can an XT to clean up the insides.

Anything else I can try before smashing it to bits??

scotroutes

Changed the cable (inner and outer)? Could be just too much drag.

fathomer

scotroutes – Member
    Changed the cable (inner and outer)? Could be just too much drag.

Two rides ago so shouldn’t be that.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    duncancallum

Undo the cable and try it. Its got to be cable drag

fathomer

duncancallum- Subscriber
    Undo the cable and try it. Its got to be cable drag

But it works fine with the clutch off, new inner/outer about 30miles ago?

swanny853

I’ll echo the point about the cable, but another point to check is the b tension. If that’s a little low, the mech can be a touch too close to the sprocket and there isn’t room for the chain to ‘release’ from the big sprocket.

The clutch can be a bit of a red herring- it can be the straw that breaks the camels back in a setup where things aren’t quite right.

fathomer

I’ll try unbolting the cable when not moving and see what happens but I’m sure it’s to do with the clutch. B screw not been moved unless it’s wound itself in.

Thanks for the tips so far.

coatesy
    Free Member

Try altering your B-tension, if the jockey wheel’s too close to the sprocket, it’ll be like you’re pushing the chain into the side of the tooth rather than lifting it over the tooth. If it’s too far away, it can also give a similar problem, probably caused by a little extra flex in the chain across the overall gap, B-tension can have quite a lot of influence over shift quality on these types of mech.

benpinnick

Take the cover off the clutch and swing the mech cage forward then back (with clutch on). If the roller inside the fish shaped spring rotates both ways it’s seized. It should rotate as the mech swings forward, but not on the way back. New one can be bought for maybe £12 ish as part of the service kit.

Not saying that’s guaranteed to fix it but it certainly can cause poor shifting.

andyg1966

I have an XT mech with an identical problem. New jockey wheels fitted. New chain on recent cassette.

Currently run with the clutch off.

sillyoldman

Another vote for B-tension

fathomer

Thanks everyone, I’ll have another play over the next couple of days.

ped

Keep us posted. I’ve an identical problem with both SLX and XT mechs on a couple of bikes. I’d actually wondered if it was to do with cold/sub-zero conditions, as that’s when it seems to happen most often, but have taken to running without the clutch on rather than get to the bottom of it.

fathomer

So to report back.

Tried altering the B screw in quarter turn increments from pretty much touching to along way out, made no difference.

So shifted in to the biggest sprocket with the clutch on, undid the cable bolt and the mech still didn’t move.

Now convinced it’s something to do with clutch/mech but not the actual clutch as that seems to move as Ben describes. Going to take it to bits as much as possible and give it a clean, though I seem to remember the SLX don’t dismantle as much as XT’s!

stevextc
    Free Member

Have you tried wobbling it about with no chain on?
    One of mine went loose between the direct mount bit (whatever the real name is but the bit connects to the mech hangar) and the mech proper… stuck it in a vice and squeezed it back and its working great again….

dannyh
    Free Member

I haven’t got much to add, but my fallback with stuff that won’t disassemble any further is to clean it as best you can, empty a can of GT85 into it and hope for the best.

bloodyshins
    Free Member

Quite often on these the bolt that holds the cage onto the body of the me h can get a bit dry and crusty. Try taking it out and greasing it. Greasing the clutch isn’t a good idea, it’s meant to grip

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘SLX Mech Issue’ is closed to new replies.