Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • SLX crankset differences?
  • ell_tell
    Free Member

Following a previous thread http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/does-this-look-bent-to-you-1 its definitely my cranks that are bent.

Looking at the SLX I’ll probably just replace my bent crankset with another triple but I wondered is there any difference between this and the off the shelf double that is also available?

Just thinking long term in case I decide to move towards a 2×10 setup and whether I could still do this with the triple.

Edit: its the M670 and M675 btw

Mister-P
    Free Member

You can’t fit a third ring onto a double M675 crank due to the design of the spider. You can quite easily remove a ring from a triple to convert it to a double if you wanted to.

ratherbeintobago

You can quite easily remove a ring from a triple to convert it to a double if you wanted to.

I read somewhere that the offset between the M670 triple and the M675 double (and XT/XTR equivalents) was different to allow a better chainline with the doubles – can anyone confirm/deny?

plyphon
    Free Member

While that’s “true” it’s also 100% marketing BS.

2x works perfectly with a triple crank set.

If you think about it for a second, it can only be bollox

hilldodger
    Free Member

slx double has threaded steel inserts for the pedals

Mister-P
    Free Member

slx double has threaded steel inserts for the pedals

Not on the 675 as far as I know.

I_Ache
    Free Member

ratherbeintobago – Member
    You can quite easily remove a ring from a triple to convert it to a double if you wanted to.
    I read somewhere that the offset between the M670 triple and the M675 double (and XT/XTR equivalents) was different to allow a better chainline with the doubles – can anyone confirm/deny?

Souldn’t the best chainline be in the ring you use the most with the chain in the middle of the cassette? For me on a double that would be the old middle ring, the same is the case on a triple. I think the different offset in the Shimano double cranks puts the best chainline in-between the two rings meaning it is never quite right.

kayak23

I have a set of brand new SLX M675 sat in front of me right now having just got them from Wiggle.

They do not have a steel pedal insert, and as far as I know/can tell, the only difference is the spider, in that you cannot fit an outer ring or bashguard to the M675 doubles.

Not sure they have a different offset to make the best chainline between the rings… That wouldn’t make sense to me. Granny ring is a compromise and it’s rareely used in comparison to the ‘main’ ring.
    Mine is for 1×10 anyway so not too bothered..

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Souldn’t the best chainline be in the ring you use the most with the chain in the middle of the cassette? For me on a double that would be the old middle ring, the same is the case on a triple. I think the different offset in the Shimano double cranks puts the best chainline in-between the two rings meaning it is never quite right.

yep – and with a ten speed cassette its even harder 😆

hilldodger
    Free Member

maybe no longer steel inserts, but my 9spd slx double has them, don’t know the version though, maybe 3 years old

fisgard
    Free Member

a couple of years ago,

we had a five with a triple (m760), we thought we could get the black bash ring (that fits the m765) and fit it in lieu of the largest ring, thereby making a m765 out of a m760

the black bash ring fitted to the m765 would not fit the m760, and we were unable to machine the inner spider mating faces to do so

we ended up selling the m760 on ebay and bought a m765 from crc, as we wanted the bash protection

i’m also not sure if the centreline of the 2 chainrigs on the m765 is offset thereby aligning it centrally with the middle ring of the triple m760

Scamper
    Free Member

Last two posters I think mean the M660 and M665? The latter being the double and bash crankset with pedal inserts, and stiffer crank arms/spiders.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘SLX crankset differences?’ is closed to new replies.