SLX cranks – a bit of a revolution ??

Home Forum Bike Forum SLX cranks – a bit of a revolution ??

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • SLX cranks – a bit of a revolution ??
  • ozzybmx

Guys it seenms SLX cranks are a popular item lately …. shimano did them on the back of LX , but stated they were 100% stronger than XT , yet 40% cheaper . They are 100% better looking than XT too and come in the double action … which most of us want anyhow.

Has shimano shot themself in the ass…. and will they probably rise the price on these awesome cranks ?

Bloody good deal, super strong and change the bashie for a lighter one and they are basically the same weight as XT if you are a weenie .

Im thinking they are the bollox for us between XC and Downhill …. AM/Freeride super cranks ?

retro83

Yeah, they look pretty good! Do they have the steel pedal insert these days?

ozzybmx

yep , steel pedal inserts confirmed , DEFINATELY .

richc

on the doubles they do, on the triples they don’t

ozzybmx

Yeah mate , im talking doubles , i cant see any point on getting the triple unless you are doing a bit of road riding. the double on big ring (2) and back 9 is the same as the triple on big 3 and back 7… hardly worth the hassle unless you are a die hard XC rider.

Premier Icon Del
    Subscriber

i cant see any point on getting the triple unless you are doing a bit of road riding. the double on big ring (2) and back 9 is the same as the triple on big 3 and back 7… hardly worth the hassle unless you are a die hard XC rider.

oh, no, look! worms! everywhere 🙂

ozzybmx

worms … where ?

james

LX HTII 44-32-22T = 936g
    Hone HTII 44-32-22T = more, (inc. steel pedal threads/HT axle)
    Hone HTII bash-32-22T = more (inc. steel pedal threads/HT axle)

SLX 44-32-22T = 889g, (inc. steel/composite middle ring)
    SLX bash-36-22T =~ 1000g (inc. steel pedal threads/HT axle)

Even pre-‘credit-crunch’ prices for the double SLX were the same as the Hone double crank

I don’t really see any revolution tbh?
    The steel/composite ring on the SLX triple is a good idea though

james

“the double on big ring (2) and back 9 is the same as the triple on big 3 and back 7”

Thats assuming you are using a 32T middle ring and an 11-34T casette (where no. 7 is a 15T) Though close, the 44-15T is actually a higher (harder/faster) combination than 32-11T
    A lot of people won’t/don’t use an 11-34T casette either because the 34T is rarely needed. A 32T is often more usful and gives a more even spread of gears
    On a 11-32T casette no. 7 is a 14T and is obvuiosly higher/harder/faster gear combination again

ozzybmx

whats the hone weight ?

owenfackrell

james – Member
    LX HTII 44-32-22T = 936g

Nope the Hone triple doesn’t have steel pedal threads and is almost the same as LX other than colour the weight is the same.

ozzybmx

guys , the big thing is the fact people used to buy XT because it was way mor replacable than XTR , now SLX is cheaper BUT stronger. and i comes already graced with a double . im not arguing the fact of the ratios , im only specifying it as nearly the same gear as having a triple.

Premier Icon johnikgriff
    Subscriber

I’ve just built my new bike up with XTR cranks. A couple of the guys I ride with have SLX and my comment would be this.

SLX rock. I got my XTR at pre increase prices (220 over 430) but even at the lower price the SLX look a bargain and at the new price… At a quick glance you wouldn’t spot the difference. I’ve had a go of theirs and okay the XTR is better (and lighter) but for how often I change the front chainring is it really worth it? Does look cool on top of the car mind 😉

Very impressed with them. Don’t get me wrong I love the XTR, but for value for money against performance, SLX are very good indeed.

Premier Icon stilltortoise
    Subscriber

The SLX rear mech looks great too, and at £27.50 from Merlin (a few weeks ago!) they are a steal

ozzybmx

I’ve just built my new bike up with XTR cranks. A couple of the guys I ride with have SLX and my comment would be this.

SLX rock. I got my XTR at pre increase prices (220 over 430) but even at the lower price the SLX look a bargain and at the new price… At a quick glance you wouldn’t spot the difference. I’ve had a go of theirs and okay the XTR is better (and lighter) but for how often I change the front chainring is it really worth it? Does look cool on top of the car mind

Very impressed with them. Don’t get me wrong I love the XTR, but for value for money against performance, SLX are very good indeed.

Thats what im saying mate , they are WAY stiffer than XTR , but nowhere near as light . I trash cranks dead easy and there is no way im spending $600 on a set of cranks to cry over . XT are sensational but i have a set of 8 month old that you wouldnt give me $10 for , the big ring is basically a bashie . The SLX are going to be a massive hit in the coming months/year , im just thinking when will shimano or the LBS’s pump the prices accordingly.

ozzybmx

😆 looks 😆 XTR always gets the looks …. and will do until something knocks it off the perch … and SRAM has still not put an alu crank forward to even bother it on the top .

It will be there for a long time …. BUT in these days of many applications , we have waited for a crank to bridge the gap between DH/FR stiffness and XC weight , the SLX has done that ….. just buy a gamut bashie and its the weight of a XT triple.

Mister P

According to the tech info an SLX chainset with 2 rings and bash is 976g and without the bash is 923g. XT is 853g with 3 rings on.

rs

I pulled my Hone cranks apart to clean them when i swapped frames, also weighed them.

Hone Bottom Bracket, 96g
    Hone Non-Drive Side Crank Arm, 228g
    Hone Drive Side Crank Arm, 395g
    Hone Middle Ring, 43g
    Straitline Alloy Bash Guard, 123g
    4 Crank Bolts, 12g
    Total Weight for single chainring setup, 897g

The granny and extra 4 crank bolts would add about 50 to 60grams i think.

ozzybmx

i can absolutely assure you the bashie weighs 149g alone !!!!!

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

A lot of people won’t/don’t use an 11-34T casette either because the 34T is rarely needed.

Cough. Cough.!

I use it. But then again I’m just old. Could I get a 36t on there…
    [ponders]

My god, this is the most boring thread ever!

Mister P

A Saint bash weighs 79g so an SLX one is twice as heavy? Or are you including bolts with this?

craig1975

I still think the XT cranks look better

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

SLX is good, and excellent value, but a revelation? Not really!

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

hmm, alot a bit over excited over a pair of cranks???!!

knott4me

i have the d&b slx & its exellent .

they are proving popular as they are exellent value & they are in a little catagory of there own they are certainly not budget performers but are a budget price plus slx is new so everyone wants it.

james

“LX HTII 44-32-22T = 936g

Nope the Hone triple doesn’t have steel pedal threads and is almost the same as LX other than colour the weight is the same. “

Fair enough, I thought they did as a mate bought hone triples over LXs to gain the steel bits

“According to the tech info an SLX chainset with 2 rings and bash is 976g and without the bash is 923g. XT is 853g with 3 rings on. “

They used to be displayed as 889 and 1000g was from somewhere else as it wasn’t on the shimano site for ages

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘SLX cranks – a bit of a revolution ??’ is closed to new replies.