Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • slowcookertrackworld
  • ahwiles
    Free Member

beef, carrots, onions, pearl barley, beer, stock, salt, pepper, lots of rosemary, marmite.

+12 hours.

+sweet potato wedges.

Boom.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I don’t rate mine. Must try harder

Suggsey
    Free Member

I tend to find that anything over a couple of hours ruins the pearl barley so now put it in nearer the end of cooking time.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Slow cooker beef tip – get some shin in!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not really been that impressed either tbh. The slow cooker doesn’t really reduce sauces down to a nice thick sauce, the way stove top or a low oven does.

dan1980
    Free Member

Prop the lid up with a wooden spoon for 30 mins before serving to thicken stuff up.

Today’s effort consisted of 1 small gammon joint (fat removed), 2 cans of heinz 5 beans, 2 onions, 2 ramano peppers, 4 sliced chilis, 4 cloves garlic, 1 140 g tub of tomato puree and 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika.

anagallis_arvensis

I just take liquid out and boil it down/ thicken to how I want it.
    Lamb curry slow cooked is the mutts nuts.

m6dwn
    Free Member

Pork shoulder, 8hrs, perfect

2nd thickening sauce separately

johndoh
    Free Member

Or simply add cornflour towards the end to thicken it.

Or add lentils at the start so they create texture and thickness.

Or potato.

Absolutely no need to take stock out to reduce it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

All of those are only making the sauce thicker Johndo, not concentrating flavour, the only way to do this is by reduction.

johndoh
    Free Member

That is true, but no-one said they were wanting to concentrate flavour, just thicken the sauce (which is exactly what you were saying a slow cooker doesn’t do). And my recommendations solves that problem.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not really been that impressed either tbh. The slow cooker doesn’t really reduce sauces down to a nice thick sauce, the way stove top or a low oven does.

Thought I had it covered there, maybe just didn’t word it properly.

johndoh
    Free Member

No, you said you wanted to create a thick sauce not concentrate flavour.

The slow cooker doesn’t really reduce sauces down to a nice thick sauce

If you had said The slow cooker doesn’t really reduce sauces down to a nice concentrated flavour I’d have agreed with you.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As I said, I maybe just didn’t word it properly.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Roll your meat in flour before browning off and adding to the slow cooker, the flour will also help thicken the stock or add potatoes diced small or lent less as already said.

chorlton
    Free Member

Stop fighting over the slow cooker you two or I’ll take it of you. 🙂

garage-dweller

Mmmmm slow cooked stuff….

johndoh
    Free Member

Noooooooooooo. I’d be lost without it.

chorlton
    Free Member

Do we need slow cookers rather than an oven on low?

garage-dweller

My assumption is that they are more energy efficient than an oven as they directly heat the crock not a couple of gallons of air around the pot.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Lamb shanks cooked in a decent heavy pot with whatever veggies you like, on 110c overnight.

teasel
    Free Member

On the subject of energy efficiency I’ve made a few attempts using a pressure cooker…

In goes your seared beef followed by some sweated onions and whatever other veg you want (I like it plain so just go for carrots with some seasoning), add stock and pop on the lid. Cook for 15 – 20 minutes, remove the lid and add your dumplings and cook for a further 10 mins. If you want them crispy you’ll need to resort to the oven method. Thicken the stock with a small amount of cornflour to the consistency you require. All in about 40 mins from start to stomach.

Comparing it in flavour to, say, a slow cooked stew made in a cast iron pot on my wood stove it’s not too shabby, TBH. More importantly it’s quick if you get the craving and haven’t left enough time to prepare the dish. I rarely use my slow cooker these days.

teasel
    Free Member

Comparing it in flavour to, say, a slow cooked stew made in a cast iron pot on my wood stove it’s not too shabby, TBH. More importantly it’s quick if you get the craving and haven’t left enough time to prepare the dish. I rarely use my slow cooker these days.

Update : This is not true. I’ve just done a side by side comparison and can honestly say that nothing competes with a slow cooked stew – 4 hours at 150?c with a lovely thick gravy – no cornflour necessary.

My mouth’s watering just typing this so back to the stew, methinks…

binners

Best slow cooker recipes….

chicken and chorizo casserole

As already noted, roll the chicken in flour before cooking. Thickens the sauce up nicely. And…

braised beef goulasch with smoked pimenton

Again… Plenty of flour on the beef before cooking

Mmmmmmmmmm…. Comfort food! 😀

teasel
    Free Member

I forgot to use flour and the bastard’s as thick as me. I’ll remember to add it next time for comparison purposes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘slowcookertrackworld’ is closed to new replies.