Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Slow walking at 45 ‘a sign of faster ageing’
  • Poopscoop

Ah, balls. Slowly walks up to bed….

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50015982

colournoise

As a 49 year old shortarse with dumpy little hobbit legs who still walks quicker than most of my average height acquaintances, that’s some pretty positive sounding speculation.

Stride on!

kerley
    Free Member

I walk very quickly. Always have done and walk just as fast at 52 years old. Everyone else is constantly getting in my way as I need to swerve around them. Walking slowly feels horrible and like I am trudging along.

tjagain

Looks unclear to me is it the max speed you can walk at or the habitual speed. I am quite a slow walker but can walk for 8 hrs a day day after day after day.

Flaperon

Correlation does not imply causation. They might simply be living shorter lives because they’ve been murdered by the faster walkers they’re trapping behind them.

I find it physically uncomfortable to walk slowly, especially the sort of “tourist amble” that seems to afflict Brits abroad.

spekkie
    Free Member

I rarely have the luxury of time to walk anywhere slowly. In fact I’m more prone to breaking into a jog from the car to wherever I’m going just not to be late!

colp

I find it physically uncomfortable to walk slowly, especially the sort of “tourist amble” that seems to afflict Brits abroad.

🙂

It feels unnatural doesn’t it!
    I get “clothes shopping back” if I walk too slowly.

MoreCashThanDash

In other news, reading snippets of medical trials induces middle aged paranoia….

el_boufador

“clothes shopping back” it’s not just me then???

spekkie
    Free Member

nope. I can ride my bike all day long, but ten minutes standing outside a shop changing room and I’m broken.

chakaping
    Free Member

What if you only walk slow because you’re knackered from bike riding or gym-going?

el_boufador

I can ride my bike all day long, but ten minutes standing outside a shop changing room and I’m broken.

Amen brother

martymac

‘Amen brother’
    Yep, me too.
    So glad I’m not the only one

Garry_Lager

The faster you walk, the less busy you are is a fairly reliable correlation anywhere I’ve worked. Used to have a colleague who was absolutely burglarising a living and he’d run you over in the corridor to keep up his charade of a working day.

Slightly different, but my Dad’s Parkinson’s diagnosis came from a doctor observing how he walked down the hall when he was in hospital for something unrelated. So there is a lot to be learnt from one’s gait.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

it’s been shown that shopping is stressful for men whereas it has a calming effect for women, although what that means nowadays I don’t know.

Can I just self-id as a women before a shopping trip to make sure I enjoy it ?

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think I walk fast, but I keep nearly bumping into people because they are ambling around so slowly that I try to get past whilst they turn to one side or otherwise move erratically.

A bloke at work used to be chubby then took to walking loads. He now walks at what I estimate to be about 10 minute mile pace. If I walk to the shops with him at lunchtime I work up a sweat, then ask him to go easy and he says he is… I don’t actually know how it is possible to walk that fast without running. He’s shorter than me too.

MrOvershoot

colp
    I get “clothes shopping back” if I walk too slowly.

At last a shorter phrase than the one my father used “Museum back & guided tour leg”

My father was a fast walker and from a young age you had to do the same or you would soon get left behind (for good)

cookeaa

Ah crap.

I know my walking pace is high, I’ve had complaints.

But my missus is sloooow, like really slow…

funkmasterp

I hate getting stuck behind slow walkers. I do walk very fast though and feel like I’m the lone survivor of W zombie apocalypse when walking around town on a busy day. Feels wrong to move slow. Get out of my way you shuffling bastards 😀

sirromj

I walk up the stairs next to the escalator faster than the people stood on the escalator. I always have to remember to wear warmer clothes than usual when going on walks with slow walking relatives. Got a telling off for walking at my usual pace while pushing my son in the pram as it was supposed to be a walk with their grandson 😀 Got my revenge a couple of years later on the beach now he wants to inspect every single pebble and bit of seaweed.

footflaps

Slow walkers are almost as bad as people who climb stairs one step at a time (only acceptable if you’re over 90).

Northwind

I tried walking at 78 but I’m not entirely sure it’s the right speed

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Slow walking at 45 ‘a sign of faster ageing’’ is closed to new replies.