Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Slow cookers – safe to prep night before?
  • peterfile
    Free Member

For beef and lamb dishes, can I brown meat, add hot stock/sauce and raw veg etc to a big bowl, let it cool and then place in the fridge overnight before sticking in the slow cooker in the morning?

Half of me thinks that this isn’t a problem, but the other half is slightly concerned about part cooked meat and stock etc all sitting in the fridge.

Anyone do this?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Yep, fine AFAIK.
    I wouldn’t do it with poultry though.

parkesie
    Free Member

Prep it stick it in fridge drop in the slow cooker when you want to start it cooking.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve always left mine in the slow cooker overnight and clicked the switch on the way out in the morning.

I’ve never died.

northernmatt

I’ve never died.

Yet.

I’d pop it in the fridge once it’s prepped. Obviously it helps if your slow cooker has a removable liner.

binners

What nealglover said. I’ve not died either

somouk
    Free Member

I often do steak and ale stew or chicken curry the night before and leave it in the fridge.

No problems yet. I do leave the lid on it to keep it all sealed up.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I did a sparteeze just before Christmas, but that was due to (several) bad pints, and had nothing to do with slow cookers. You still might die though.HTH.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

We don’t even pre-cook the meat.

Prep all the veg and chuck it all in the slow cooker the night before (switched off). In the morning, chuck in the diced raw beef and liquids. Switch it on and leave it till the evening.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve never died.
    Yet.
    I’d pop it in the fridge once it’s prepped. Obviously it helps if your slow cooker has a removable liner.

My kitchen is colder than my fridge once the heating goes off :mrgreen:

wallop

+1 not bothering with browning the meat. I find it makes little difference in a dish which is cooked for 8-10 hours.

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Don’t brown the meat.
    I have a pork shoulder marinating in jerk spices in a bowl in the fridge. The carrots and onions are already in the pot and in the morning I will add the pork and chuck the bowl in the dishwasher. It will take 2 minutes.
    When I get home I will have perfect pulled jerk pork 😀

hydrophil
    Free Member

And another for not browning meat
    Veg in the slow cooker night before
    Meat in the morning (or night before if ultra lazy)
    8 hours on Low (i.e. more like a rolling simmer) will kill anything in the stew

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Slow cookers – safe to prep night before?’ is closed to new replies.