Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Slow cooker recipe….. know any good books / recommendations.
  • lowey

As above really. Finally got one the other week. I heard you can do some cracking curries in them.

Cheers all.

wors

I heard you can do some cracking curries in them.

one in as we speak!

i’ll lend you mine dave, and my mrs knows loads, you can borrow her too if you like!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Dave, this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Slow-Cooker-Delicious-Recipes/dp/0600618951/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1242832706&sr=8-1 is one of the books at Works Book club..

Can order you a copy if you like???

johnhoo
    Free Member

bit of a cheat, but the Schwarz Chicken Chasseur packet mix is not bad. For a packet mix.

slice up your onions, carrots & mushrooms (optional), bung ’em in. place some browned chicken portions on top, then add the made up spice mix. Put lid on. Switch onto ‘auto’. Go to work. Come home, eat. You can decant the sauce & reduce it if you like.

joe1983
    Free Member

I had me mothers slow cooked irish stew today – delicious!

spikerman_1
    Free Member

[/url]

D0NK

Excuse my ignorance but whats a slowcooker for? Can’t you just bung it all in the oven? I got a big metal pan/pot thing, fry onions and seal meat in it on the hob then on with the lid and into the oven for a few hours.

Apart from the timer what’s so good about them? (genuinely interested, not having a pop)

wors

you can bung everything in before you go to work, and when you get home, its cooked, it cooks things very slow, hence the name. I put a joint of lamb in the other day and the meat so tender!

smiffy

I slow cook in the lower oven of a Rayburn, same effect really. Great for tender meats as long as you brown them off first.

smiffy

The advantages I can see are;

1. Start timer, not all cookers have these
    2. Economy, might require less energy to heat just the pot, not the whole oven
    3. control, electric ovens not always good control at low temps, gas ovens – forget it.

peachos
    Free Member

brilliant – one of the best ways to cook. and i dont think you need to follow any recipes, just make stuff up! whatever takes your fancy. beef & beer/ale. pork & cider & apples. lamb is great cooked slow but haven’t found an alcohol based liquid to add to it yet; maybe creme de menthe of something!! honestly, you can’t go wrong.

wors

chicken with a can of condensed chicken soup and a splash of white wine, lovely

spooky_b329

We have this one

Did red lentil Dahl with Coconut and Tomato last week, lovely 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Slow cooker recipe….. know any good books / recommendations.’ is closed to new replies.