Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Slough named as the 'best place' to work and live
  • CHB

It’s a ploy to keep people there!

CountZero

“Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough”
    Even the name is off-putting!
    I can always tell when I’m passing the place on the M4, even in the dark, with my eyes closed…
    (As a passenger, of course…).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    giantalkali
    Free Member

Thriving paper industry

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I suppose if you look at it objectively

London/South East wages, combined with Slough house prices means disposable incomes.

Sandwiched between the Chilterns and Windsor Great Park there’s plenty of outdoorsy stuff.

Loads of companies/jobs locally and within an easy commute.

On the M4 and trains to Reading and London (i.e. every mainline), 15 minutes to Heathrow.

I can always tell when I’m passing the place on the M4, even in the dark, with my eyes closed…
    (As a passenger, of course…).

Why does that treatment plant smell so bad, it’s not even like it’s an occasional thing, every day I commute past it I turn the fan off in the car!

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Slough is in a part of the country which offers “pleasant environments”

Yeah but not the bits that have Slough in

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Simple heuristic, if is starts with an S, it’s probably horrid

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

But it rhymes with trough! 😯

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member
    Simple heuristic, if is starts with an S, it’s probably horrid

Is heuristic the right word (and I can’t believe I’m sticking up for Slough)

Scaffell, Staithes and Strathpeffer?

Cougar

Sluff must’ve changed in the 10-15 years since I last had the misfortune to visit with any sort of regularity.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Is heuristic the right word (and I can’t believe I’m sticking up for Slough)

Yes

Scaffell, Staithes and Strathpeffer?

Looks pretty, wouldn’t want to.live somewhere like that

martinhutch

Used to work on the local paper. I’m not sure they were asking the right questions. 🙂

If Britwell is now a pleasant environment, it must’ve changed a tad.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sluff must’ve changed in the 10-15 years since I last had the misfortune to visit with any sort of regularity.

It’s probably not, I make the same special effort to avoid it as I do syphilis.

Looks pretty, wouldn’t want to.live somewhere like that

WAAAAATTTTTTTT!!!!!!!

singletrackmind

named by people from from Mogadishu , Somalia , Nigeria , Yeman , Iran and IrAQ.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Slough is what Scafell would look like if you let town planners loose on it

spekkie
    Free Member

Slough is just one of thiose names that inspires. . . . Nothing.

Bit like Grimsby.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Slough is just one of thiose names that inspires. . . . Nothing.

Bit like Grimsby.

See also: Garstang – might be loverly, sounds like a concentration camp.

phiiiiil

I had a two day work conference thing in a hotel on the edge of Slough. I had lost the will to live before we had even got there; 8am, tiny windy country road, nose to tail traffic in both directions for miles. And the beer was expensive.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Excellent grammar school

uponthedowns
    Free Member

All they have to do is change the name to Slough-upon-Thames. I mean its worked for Staines-upon-Thames hasn’t it?

TheBrick
    Free Member

As ever it depends on the metric you use. This is why all of these best places to live lists are rubbish, y po your list of important items are not the same as the writers and even if they are they are likely to be weighted differently.

Pigface
    Free Member

Once had a wait and return to Mars in Slough, the office seemed to be full of supermodels and as they messed up and I was there for ages got given a huge bag of chocolate. Quite liked Slough that day and the railway station is stunning.

binners

All the places that are actually the best places to live put a lot of effort into making sure they don’t appear in any ‘best places to live’ lists, so as to avoid being colonised by the type of ****s who base where they live on best place to live lists

dirtyboy

I can’t possibly comment as I live in Newport, only still here due to the hills.

IdleJon

This is like the ‘What’s the best MTBing place to live?’ threads where Bristol always gets very popular. It’s simply somewhere with easy access to other better places.

funkrodent

@ Binners

Pretty sure that Ramsbottom has started to appear on a few lists. More local in focus, but it will spread. The influx is imminent. You can’t say that you weren’t warned.. 😉

binners

It’s the reason I moved out of Chorlton 😉

They’ll all be heading for Slough, Swindon and Stoke now surely?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Slough named as the 'best place' to work and live’ is closed to new replies.