Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sloes near Ramsbottom??
  • burgatedicky

Calling all locals!!
    Just got back in from picking a few pounds of Blackberrys for pie and crumble duty.
    Got me thinking that the sloe gin stash is getting a bit low, but I can’t remember seeing any sloes locally.

I managed to pick some up near Malham a couple of years ago, but it seems a bit of a trek if I can’t guarantee there’ll be any.

Has anyone seen any out and about??

salsa
    Free Member

Hi

Very bad year for sloes, the late frost killed the blossom, every bush round Teesdale has no berries this year, the only hope is high up where there is a late blossom.

Scapegoat

Funny, I found a footpath near Swillington, SE Leeds with hedges drooping with the things, I got about three kilos in an hour.

Can’t help you locally, but blackthorn grow best on heavy clay soils, so that’s your starting point. Best look for arable land with bordering hedgerows.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ElShalimo

You could use elderberries instead for gin or vodka loveliness
    Loads along Branch Road between West Vale and Barkisland Mill and along the valley floor

ElShalimo

Sorry, I saw Ramsbottom but read Ripponden
    Too much ale last night

Drac

Loads of sloes around here one of the best I’ve seen in years spotted loads in Yorkshire Dales too the other week.

Best places are abandoned railway lines, old industrial waste grounds, if you can find hawthorn you’ll find sloes too so just look in established hedgerows.

CaptainSlow

My local sloe spots are very sparse this year. Doesn’t look like I’ll be making any. I’m ok for another year, maybe 2 though as I’ve still got several bottles left from a couple of years back 🙂

bigG
    Free Member

I’ve been buying sloes off ebay for years. Sorry, but life’s too short for scrabbling around hedgerows for them. Especially when they’re pretty rare around these parts.

matt_outandabout

PiknMix
    Free Member

Stupid question of the day….. Are sloes fairly big berries? I always expected them to be small but I think there is a tree in our garden with them on.

Will try and get a pic.

Scapegoat

Sloes are about 10-12 mm across when ripe/ready. Half the size of a grape, perhaps double the size of a blackcurrant. If the tree in your garden has bigger fruit it may be Damson, or even Bullace. Taste test them. Sloes are astringent…. they strip saliva from your tongue and make your teeth squeaky clean if you bit into one. A wild Damson or Bullace will be sour, but not astringent. If it is a Damson then they make even better gin than sloes…….. 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

There’s loads of Blackthorn near me but only a couple with sloes on. Ones got lots & the other just a few. Odd.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Cheers scapegoat, I thought it was damson to begin with but the berries are pretty round, I remember damsons being more elongate when I used to scrump them as a kid.

Pembo
    Free Member

Picked a load of sloes yesterday, but not 100% sure they are sloes as they are quite big. They are completely round but the size of grapes and taste a bit like damsons, but look exactly like the wiki picture including the leaves.

First time I’ve ever attempted sloe gin and have enough for 2 bottles of sloe gin, so what would be a good alternative recipe for the second bottle if I go with the standard recipe for bottle 1?

450g/1lb sloes
    225g/8oz caster sugar
    1 litre/1¾ pint gin

edit: think they are bullaces based on what scapegoat said and a quick google.

ratherbeintobago

If it is a Damson then they make even better gin than sloes

This. We’re making damson gin this year, having a damson tree in the garden.

Otherwise, Booth’s is the place to obtain them (but that does mean a trip to Clitheroe…)

Pembo
    Free Member

@rather – Same recipe as above for damson/bullace gin?

ratherbeintobago

Off the top of my head, it was 1kg damsons, 250g caster sugar and 1l gin – will check & report back.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sloes near Ramsbottom??’ is closed to new replies.