Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • slipping shain
  • Locoboy
    Free Member

Fells,
    moving on from my previous post about a suspected worn cassete ( fited a new chain and bike was unridable due to slippage)
    I fitted a new cassette and riding on the flat round the road it seemed to remedy its self with no slippage.

Got to llandegla and when pedaling up hill it was still slipping but ONLY IN THE MIDDLE CHAINRING.

i’m thinking new chainring time, so new granny and middle ordered and fitted yesterday. Out on it last night and its still **** slipping in the middle chain ring under power, wont silp in the granny ring.

The ony thing left now is the rear mech…… any other thought before I go buying a new frigging rear mech??

To summarise
    New chain – shortened to the correct length
    New rear Cassette (like for like)
    New granny and middle ring (like for like)

Thanks ‘frustrated’ col!

kayak23

Maybe you’re just too powerful for the current level of technology?
    Either that or your mech hanger is bent, or the mech itself may be worn.
    Defo got the right speed components with the right speed components yes?

ansdy

Free hub? Though that wouldnt explain why it only slips in the middle ring, it still would be more likely that the rear mech.

ansdy

Good point on the mech hanger, maybe check that too

coatesy
    Free Member

How far have you ridden the new chain on the worn components? Don’t want to be the bearer of bad news, but I have seen a brand new chain taken out by a worn cassette over the course of a 20 mile ride (I didn’t beleive it either, tried all the other possibilities without success, another new chain and it was sorted). As said, it could also be any of the above suggestions.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Id be surprised if it was a worn mech, bent yes, but not worn.

Locoboy
    Free Member

Sram chain and shimano xt cassette and deore rings, Exactly what was on it before when it rode fine.

Chain was ridden on the old cassette only about 500 yards, it was slipping before I left the carpark.

I will check the mech hanger, but I would have thought it would slip in all the chain rings then?

It’s a pain the the butt as I have no confidence in putting the power down to get up the hills, and standing up is just asking for potential trouble and a crack in the plums!

Col

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Bent mech hanger on my road bike caused similar symptoms.

Would only jump pedalling uphill in the granny ring on the two lowest but one gears.

Locoboy
    Free Member

Have I been a complete bell end and put the middle ring on the wrong way round?
    It has little bits on it that are rivited on and I think they are to help lift the chain when changing up from granny ring? If that’s the case then they are on the outside of the ring the way its fitted…..?? Answers please and go easy with the insults if I have Lol

Locoboy
    Free Member
    matt_outandabout

I had a dodgy mech hanger on a brand new bike once – that did exactly what you are describing. No amount of gear tweeking sorted it, took it to LBS and they diagnosed it reet quickly. Orange posted me two new hangers, by way of ‘whoops’.

z1ppy

A m8 just fixed his, new bits all round, but still slipping by replacing his jockey wheels.. I was surprised as they didn’t look worn, & weren’t something I’d normally attribute slippage to

Edit: just seen picture, yes the middle rings fitted the wrong way round, ramps & pins lift the chain

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘slipping shain’ is closed to new replies.