• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Slime tubes stretched to 29er proportions?
  • bigdonx
    Free Member

Trying to find a way to minimise rear flats on my 29er ss (too fiddly for trail side repair in the dark).

Thought I'd try a slime tube (never used these before). Got a 26" one stretched to fit and it was working well until the other night it popped, and had to be patched.

What I'm wondering is do Slime tubes have puntures from time to time that they can't deal with by the green stuff? Or am I asking too much of it by putting it under the extra stretch of a 29inch wheel?

Any other views on Slime Tubes??

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Make your own with 29er schwalbe removable core tubes, and some latex?

29erKeith
    Free Member

26inch slimes will stretch and work fine, as long as they're not the thin Slime Lites but it is better as anotherdeadhero said, schwalbe tubes with either latex or Slime, you can just buy it in bottles

but yes on occasions (rare to be fair) you will get a puncture that slime/latex can'd deal with
    at that point it's a messy job and a new tube, patching 'em train side with goop everywhere is more trouble than its worth

+ves outweight the -ves for me especially during winter rides

bigdonx
    Free Member

Cheers for the Schwalbe tip guys, and it's reassuring to know that I should be able to use with 29er dims without problems. Leads me to ask more questions though….

How much green stuff can a Slime tube lose before it's just a tube?

And can you see on it where it has made repairs ie how many punctures/leaks have been avoided?

dosniner
    Free Member

I think on the slime website there is a 29 tube.Not sure if you can get it in U.K .I think the 26 tubes stretch a bit, although I have only had one puncture too big to seal itself in 6 months.

Sam

Definitely agree with the DIY approach. You can put caffelatex sealant in any tube as it doesn't have bits in it. Really impressed with the stuff so far.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Slime tubes stretched to 29er proportions?’ is closed to new replies.