Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Slik Graphics petition
  • doomanic

They sound so hard done by…

mashr

I’d imagine that is effecting a fair sized chunk of their trade

rockandrollmark

Slightly pathetic of Fox in my opinion. It’s not like Fox are losing trade because of Slik’s products.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Switch out the vowel. Make Fix, Fax or Fux decals.

chakaping
    Free Member

I guess Fox are looking to get into tarty aftermarket stickers themselves, otherwise why bother.

In which case, it’s a moot point.

Shackleton

It does sound a bit pathetic by fox but, if I remember correctly, to be able to enforce your trademark in real cases, you have to be able to demonstrate that you have defended it historically (I. E. Not showing bias) .  Fox could have provided a free licence however, but may consider alternative colours etc a dilution of their “brand”. Personally I think that they are being as bit douchey.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Does come across a bit “Roubaix” doesn’t it.

windyg
    Free Member

Does make you wonder why now and to me as long as the graphics are correct then why not as it gets the brand name out there.

robertgray05
    Free Member

This is a PR disaster in the making. Giant corporation takes tiny business to court, to what end? Do you think their lawyers have heard of #roubaixgate or Backcountry?

I own Fox forks with Slik graphics on them, and I now think considerably less of Fox.

I’ve signed the petition, but I’m also about to email Fox and Silverfish to say how dumb this is.

tomhoward

I guess Fox are looking to get into tarty aftermarket stickers themselves, otherwise why bother.

They already do.

IP theft is IP theft. If slik didn’t consider this might happen, more fool them.

zilog6128

if I remember correctly, to be able to enforce your trademark in real cases, you have to be able to demonstrate that you have defended it historically

sadly most people commenting on here (see also: BrewDog threads) don’t get this fundamental point 😂

At the end of the day, this company have made (part of) their business copying other trademarks without seeking permission. Is that on? Not the crime of the century obviously, don’t really buy the “hard done by” stuff though!

honourablegeorge

Fox sell their own decals. Slik are selling knock offs, they really don’t have a leg to stand on. Which is a shame, they maKe great stuff.

robertgray05
    Free Member

Fox are preventing their own customers from customising their purchase with well-made decals, and thus engaging more with their brand.

By not taking action years ago, they’ve implied they’re ok with it and Slik have grown a business on that premise.

It’s dumb.

I understand the copying-without-permission point, but Fox could have taken a much more enlightened approach by allowing them to licence it at low cost/free, or pre-approve designs, or partnering with them in some way.

Just because you’re right in law doesn’t mean you’re right in principle, or that by winning in court, you win. They need to see the bigger picture.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do slik offer things that Fox don’t?

E.g. precise colour matching

If so, I can see it’s a shame to deprive the fannies who like that kind of thing – but I can still see there’s a business case there.

chestrockwell

Maybe Fox just want to save some people from themselves going by various Facebook posts I see. 😉

Meh, maybe a bit tight but it’s no great shock to see a big company protect its own brand and copywrite. I have had official Fox replacements and Slik would need to go some to match the quality.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

Fox may want too have a quick look on eBay and see how many companies are copying their patented Kashima coating.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Fox aren’t taking anyone to court, they issued a cease and desist and left it at that. I’m not sure how much more reasonable you could expect them to be. This isn’t a similarly named drink or pub, this is full on IP infringement. Anyone in the graphics business should know full well what that means. They got off very very lightly, this petition is just going to end badly and erode any goodwill they have already been shown.

Sorry but I’m with Fox on this one.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yep, totally understand why they might want to do it.

Also totally understand if some don’t like it and decide to put their money elsewhere next time they’re buying a fork.

matt_outandabout

Won’t somebody think of you Santa Cruz owners. 🤣

plus-one

I’d feel sorry for slik but they are lying shysters so karma eh !

tomhoward

Fox may want too have a quick look on eBay and see how many companies are copying their patented Kashima coating.

Don’t Fox license Kashima from someone else?

kelvin

Miyaki?

And, surely, you can make things the same colour(s), but not use the process.

Anyway, torn on this… Fox are doing what they have to do, but it’s a shame for riders lose the means to get custom colours. In the end, it’s up to Fox.

tomhoward
    zilog6128

but it’s a shame for riders lose the means to get custom colours

they can still have any colours they want! Except no-one actually has any style or originality or imagination… they should be tearing off the Fox decals and replacing them with funky colours or original artwork, but instead they’re actually paying THEIR OWN money to reprint someone else’s advert, only in a different colour… it’s actually tragic 😂

holland15h
    Free Member

Whats the Difference between a dodgey Seller selling fake Rolex out of a car boot and slik selling fake graphics online??

Onzadog
    Free Member

Poses some interesting questions though.

If you want to customise and colour match your forks, why do they still need to say “Fox” on then?

Who actually needs to know who made your forks?

bigyim
    Free Member

I always thought that their graphics seemed pretty cheap for the quality you got. I can see fox’s argument so why not say stick a fiver on each order and we will let you print them. As long as they are good quality (which they are) I don’t see what negative impact it has on their brand

mashr

Who actually needs to know who made your forks?

The amount of advertising we all do with our bikes is pretty staggering. Think I’m doing my bit for at least a dozen brands (on one bike)

holland15h

Whats the Difference between a dodgey Seller selling fake Rolex out of a car boot and slik selling fake graphics online??

That’s stretching things now. That makes it sound like they are making entire forks with ropey internals that last mere minutes longer than it takes to get them home

andrewreay

so why not say stick a fiver on each order and we will let you print them

If only Slik had that kind of foresight and had asked Fox about a licence / royalty model up front.

Instead, they got on knowingly copying trademarks and making decent money out of it and then act surprised when the trademark owner asks them to stop. Duh.

oldtennisshoes

Reminds me of the time Hora talked about getting some pikey decals made up for his forks. At least there was a bit of originality there.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you want to customise and colour match your forks, why do they still need to say “Fox” on then?

People don’t want to pay £1k for a fork and not have others know about it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Won’t somebody think of you Santa Cruz owners. 🤣

Enve rims? 😉

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I often thought about getting the sign guys next door to cut ENVE Logos for my Fulcrum wheels.
    And then I’d think “Saddo!” and not do it.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have some custom colour fork and shock decals on my favourite bike so I can give you at least one answer.  I fancied the matchy colours but to have a totally custom decal would require more money and for me to actually think of a design.  Neither of those things was going to happen.

rockhopper70

I did wonder if this may affect other suppliers and see that invisiframe don’t have them on their decals site, and I thought I recalled seeing they did Fox ones. Maybe they have just pulled them and not made a kufaffle.

bigyim
    Free Member

How do companies like fat creations get by this then? They are printing companies logos and using them for stencils to make money? Or is the volume not enough for fox to care

mashr

How do companies like fat creations get by this then?

At this point, I’d say luck

robo89
    Free Member

It’s just because fox are now offering decal kits in 15 different options, most other companies don’t bother so are happy to let others do free eye catching advertising for them, but their bully boy tactics are a bit disappointing, turning down offers and not being open to discussion.
    I always assumed they had permission though.

tomhoward

At this point, I’d say luck

Fox don’t do custom paint options.

Custom painters don’t sell stickers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Slik Graphics petition’ is closed to new replies.