Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Slightly unusual helmet light requirements.
  • Water
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I’m looking at getting a decent set of lights after being bitten by the night riding bug since buying one of those cheapo XML lights from deal extreme a few months back.

However, I’m kind of unsure where to start looking. My main requirement is that the helmet light be fairly light, as I broke my neck a couple of years back and can’t ride with a weighty light for more than about 45 mins before it feels like my head’s going to fall off!

So basically I’m after:
    1) It must be light (The weight of the XML is about my limit)
    2) At least as bright as the XML.
    3) Decent quality.

Thanks for any suggestions!

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Exposure Diablo?

superfli
    Free Member
    epicyclo

AyUp is light.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

AyUp is light and comes with an extension wire to put the battery in a pocket/pack. Whatever you get I suspect a remote battery will be lightest.

weeble
    Free Member

Exposure joystick or Diablo

Pook

😀

Water
    Free Member

Will look into all of these suggestions!
    What’s that one Pook? Looks good!

I’ve been looking wistfully at troutie’s creations but don’t think I could manage one for more than an hour 🙁

sweaman2
    Free Member

Might not be cheapest but I think Light and Motion do a stella variant where the battery is in a separate pack so the weight is reduced.

Pook

It’s a £12 alpkit gamma head torch. Perfect when coupled with a bar lamp too (although I have used one on its own).

3x AAA batteries and I’ve never had one die on me. Red light in the battery pack too round the back. It’s spot on for picking out front wheel positioning.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

It’s also out of stock pook and has been for a while, I went to get one after you recommended it to me.

Edric64
    Free Member

got an old stella 120 and the battery is in a pack and do most night riding with it

Northwind

£90 for the Magicshine MJ-872. Head unit is light, power is good, beam is fantastic, price is ridiculous. And a step up in quality from the cheapo Magicshines- better sealed plugs, better battery, nicer charger too, and all bike-specific kit rather than being basically a very small torch. (no attack crown!)

trout
    Free Member

My Mini 1200/1400 lumins weighs 109 grams with out the adjustable helmet mount will fit static on top of the helmet for good balance
    and very low profile

with the mount weighs 127 grams

with a remote battery in the pocket or back pack

Pook

funny that parkes, cos this one arrived on Monday!

Pook

edit: Wednesday even.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I bought an Alpkit Gamma Head Torch for running, and I find it totally inadequate, its great for camping and general torch duties, but I have to use an XML torch to actually see where I am going.

Pook

really? mine’s ace.

Water
    Free Member

Ooo trout, that looks great!

I’ll be sending you an email with a few further enquiries shortly!

iainfrancis
    Free Member

I’ve got a problem with my neck as well. I just fit my lights to my bars.

Water
    Free Member

I suppose that would be the simple solution, and I have given it a go, but I miss the ability of seeing round corners, especially given the tight twistyness of my local trails!
    Trout, how big is the weight difference between the Liberator and the Mini?

trout
    Free Member

Liberators a good un for sideways visability
    Weight with barmount is 166 grams

small battery weighs. 220 grams
    endurance battery. 440 grams

Water
    Free Member

Oh now that sounds perfectly manageable, am I correct in assuming I can just stick the battery in my bag?
    If so, it looks like I may have found a winner!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Slightly unusual helmet light requirements.’ is closed to new replies.