• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by poah.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Slightly beefy 24″ 32H rims.(for kids weight)..??? Moon on a stick?
  • stevextc
    Free Member

We’ve been running Stans Crest Rims which are awesome for their weight… but either Jnr needs to stop casing jumps or I need to get a slightly beefier rim … that can still seal tubeless and isn’t made of lead.

He’s got 2 sets of wheels .. one Stans Mk 2 and the other Stans Mk 3…(all are 32H). and I can’t shift the flat spot on his Mk 2 rear… We currently swap the wheels over for pedalling days vs uplift days and race days vs practice etc.  (He’s been riding 417 a lot and uses the lighter wheels as they have less aggressive tyres that seem much better on the artificial surface..on the blues and reds vs the heavier wheels with aggressive DH tyres at FOD where there is something to bite into (excepting launchpad).

“The Plan” might be to swap the Mk 3 onto his lightweight hub and stick a slightly beefier rear rim…if only something is available but something that can pedal up the Wall then do the descent when we ride Afan.

At the same time he’s only 25kg or so… so a Full on DJ rim seems huge overkill… (I’ve really given my Halo SAS a lot of grief and yet to even have it go out of true… but it weighs a ton…)

There are Spoon and Dartmoor Raider 24″ but these seem like huge overkill?

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ve got some NOS white Sun Ringle MTX39s spare here but they’re strong but heavy, like 790g each or something. I was going to build a ridiculous XS BFe up but never got round to it.

poah
    Free Member

spank do 24inch  spike rims

stevextc
    Free Member

POAH…. Thx…. 428.6g is pretty reasonable….

What’s your take on just sticking on out back on the heavier hub (superstar fuel) and using the Crest 3 to replace the current Crest 2 (on D772)???

I’m not really happy with the fuel as the end caps leak and drop out in QR…. (whereas on my 12mm they are actually great – well considering the whole wheel set was £100)

I’ve got a spare D772…. (when superstar sold them all off) and could rebuild on that and perhaps even add the steel axle???

poah
    Free Member

I’d put both on and rebuild on the spare hub

cookeaa

Spank Spoon 28-24″, it’s a kids specific 24″ rim weighing 490g. 23mm internal (28mm ext)

list price seems to be ~£50 but there were a batch on fleabay earlier in the year for £20 a go, which I swithered over and missed out on…

In the end I found these: https://www.condorcycles.com/products/condor-24-mtb-rim

Heavier and narrower than 24″ Crests obviously, but cheap enough that Jnr can bend a couple without breaking your wallet, the spanks still look sexier and is wider so might suit harsher riding, the Condor makes a cost effective kids XC/Trail type rim so long as you’re not going above a 2.3″ tyre maybe?

But the choice for 24″ rims seems much less these days…

There’s a full 150g saving for a Crest rim, but they’re not cheap, TBH I’d keep the “Best” wheels for Race/uplift days and put a wider tyre on the rear, and consider a cheaper/heavier rim but with a narrower lighter tyre for the rear at least.

I’m eyeing up a TR 24×2.0″ Hutchinson Toro’s for my daughter this winter (one of the very few such tyres I’ve found  available) She’s not really a Shredder of the Gnarrr though, YMMV…

Rickos
    Free Member

I got some BMX cruiser rims (Alienation Deviant) which are 25mm internal and a great weight, but most BMX rims are 36 hole, so you’d have to do a complete new wheelset.

mildred
    poah
    Free Member

I’m eyeing up a TR 24×2.0″ Hutchinson Toro’s

I got a pair off amazon.fr

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Slightly beefy 24″ 32H rims.(for kids weight)..??? Moon on a stick?’ is closed to new replies.