Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Sliding/rocker dropouts on a Cotic Soul?
  • johnnydrz
    Free Member

I’ve been riding my Soul now for about 1.5 years. Fantastic bike for me. It is set up with 1X10 drivetrain and it works very well but… I’ve fallen in love with singlespeed in the last 4 years and frankly, I’ve ridden my SS everywhere I’ve gone with my 1X10… (or very close…)to the point where I’m thinking of converting my Soul to SS. I know about the Philcentric (I have one on another bike)but I would like to be able to shorten the wheelbase some more, and the only way to do that would be by modifying the rear with the addition of adjustable dropouts.

Has anyone done or considered doing this? Is it fairly easy to have someone modify and weld the dropouts?

Thanks!

wwaswas

Have a chat with ben @ Kinetics about Paragon dropouts.

letmetalktomark

<<<registering interest>>>

Northwind

Did the Simple not have slidy dropouts?

honourablegeorge

Simple is now a 29er

amedias
    Free Member

Simple had basic slot dropouts, I’ve got a Mk I 26in Simple and love it to bits, you could see if you could find one but they don’t come up for sale often…

Which is why I bought one of the prototype Souls with EBB of of Cy last year to give me a SS’able Soul with the bigger seat-tube for a dropper, but that wouldn’t cover your adjustable WB needs, have a chat with some of the UK frame builders, one of them is bound to be up for it, at a price 😉

johnnydrz
    Free Member

…. ehhhh…. forgot to mention: I’m on the other side of the Pond actually… Canada! We share the same “Queen”…

amedias
    Free Member

well in that case find a local frame builder in Canada!

johnnydrz
    Free Member

Thanks amedias, I will be doing this but I would like to know first if someone has done this or at least looked at possible ways of doing this…

Ben_H

I just use a derailleur-hanger tensioner (On One Doofer) on my Soul:

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Way back in the mk1/mk2 Soul era someone in the UK did lop the dropouts off and get sliders (I think) put on. Renamed it a Cotic Solo – looked great…

avdave2

Call me odd but I really like the way Ben_H’s doofer means his chain runs parallel to itself.

shermer75
    Free Member

There’s a type of rear hub that does all that kind of malarkey. Unfortunately I don’t know what it’s called! It’s offset and it swivels, similar to a ebb…

shermer75
    Free Member
    simon1975

Yes I’ve been thinking about doing something similar… When my current Inbred finally dies (seat-tube fail) I’ll be keeping the excellent dropouts (track-ends / slotted brake mounts) for a potential future custom build. A tatty old Soul would be a great candidate for such a treatment, followed by a fresh powdercoat 🙂

ratherbeintobago

How well does that White Industries hub work?

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

didn’t someone on here put sliding drop out on a cotic Solaris or was I dreaming?

amedias
    Free Member

the WI ENO hubs are pretty good, I’ve got a couple and they do what they say…can be a slight faff with disk mounting requiring either the eccentric disk mount or rotor size change and washers jiggery-pokery to get it sorted.

They also have a slight effect on head/seat angle and BB height, depends how picky you are as to whether thats a good/bad/non thing.

ratherbeintobago

didn’t someone on here put sliding drop out on a cotic Solaris or was I dreaming?

This one?

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Yes that is the one!

breadcrumb

avdave2 – Member
    Call me odd but I really like the way Ben_H’s doofer means his chain runs parallel to itself.

I’d say his chain is too long, not much wrap around the rear sprocket.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Sliding/rocker dropouts on a Cotic Soul?’ is closed to new replies.