Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Sliding TV wall mount
  • scotroutes

Mrs Routes has decided that we need a paincave much more than we need a dining room. Cue me taking photos of dining room furniture to sell and now exploring how we outfit a home gym. I plan to use a decent sized TV/monitor for Zwifting but I also want it to be usable for online yoga/pilates type stuff and whatever else – including functioning as a second TV. For that reason, I want to be able to slide it away from the front of the bike/turbo for a clearer view. I reckon that moving it a metre or so would be fine. I appreciate that I’ll have to sort out the power cord.

I was thinking a sliding bracket would be better than a multi-hinged type on an arm.

It’ll mostly likely be on an external wall – that’ll be dot and dab.

Any suggestions welcome – both for the mount itself and for fitting it to said wall.

TIA

ton

Colin, i sell all kinds of tv brackets. but i have never seen a sliding one.

we sell some that are a articulated arm, where you can fold the tv back 90 degree.

try this company, they may have a sliding one.

https://www.bracketsrus.co.uk/

ton

and if you find something on there that will work, letme know because we are cheaper.

scotroutes

Cheers Tony, I’ll hae a look. If what I was thinking of is so rare then maybe I’ll go for the cantilever mount and try not to worry about it 😉

joshvegas
    Free Member

You could just mount a flush mount onto a plate with a french cleat. You might have to have some of the wall part if the cleat showing but it wouldn’t look terrible just intentional. To get a metre of movement i don’t think you will avoid seeing something.

Or you could mount it on a couple of heavy duty draw runners.

nickjb
    Free Member

A normal hinged bracket should work. If the arm is about 500mm long you can mount the wall plate in the middle and hinge it one way for swift and the other way clear viewing. It’ll sit pretty flush against the wall at the extremes.

If you really want it to slide then you make something with draw slides. Just need a bit of plywood to bolt the TV to the slides.

joshvegas
    Free Member

A hinged bracket would make the cables easy too. Good idea.

kayak23

I’m not sure I’m 100% on what you’re trying to achieve, but I guess just sliding the telly 1m left or right?

As others have suggested above you can do this on drawer runners.

I have a rack in my workshop for chisels etc and I have mounted a screen panel on it on long drawer runners, as space doesn’t allow regular hinges.

It slides out to the side instead.

With some thought, you could build yourself a very shallow box, house the runners on it and I would have thought leave enough slack in the cables to route them through the box and allow some movement.

Kahurangi

We had a hinged bracket that worked well. The arm was maybe 600 or 700mm, so you have a good “home” position and then extended out for pain cave use.

Alternatively you could mount the tv on to a board and use a pair of long drawer runners, mounted on the wall (or a secondary board). Assuming you want the runner hidden from view when “home” then you’re limited by the size of the TV and you can only slide in one plane.

Pretty much as the cockwomble above suggested!

pocpoc
    Free Member

How about a hanging sliding door type set up?
    Hanging rail at the top, piece of MDF hanging from it with the TV mounted on the MDF.
    Or a whole sliding wardrobe door with the wiring hidden behind the door and offset enough from the wall for plugs etc.

Kahurangi

How about a hanging sliding door type set up?

With the rail up at ceiling height there’s less demand to hide it and therefore can make have a much longer slide… and gives you a big panel to hide cable catenaries behind. like it.

mattyfez

What about a trolley? Not the prettiest solution, but maybe ones that look more like furnatire exist?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TV-Trolley/s?k=TV+Trolley

joshvegas
    Free Member

Pretty much as the cockwomble above suggested!

I believe i suggested it first. By pure chance your description fits.

scotroutes

You know, the trolley actually seems like the best option. Apart from anything else, it’s just a lot more flexible. I could fit a small laptop/mini PC onto a shelf too.

robbo1234biking

What about a trolley? Not the prettiest solution, but maybe ones that look more like furnatire exist?

Doesn’t help solve the OPs issue but I just have images of the TV at school with in built VHS player and a cargo strap over the top that got pushed between the rooms to watch in lessons!

franksinatra

Doesn’t help solve the OPs issue but I just have images of the TV at school with in built VHS player and a cargo strap over the top that got pushed between the rooms to watch in lessons!

I was just thinking the same, retrotastic!

Gribs

Colin, i sell all kinds of tv brackets. but i have never seen a sliding one.

10+ years ago I fitted a sample one at Brimingham Uni. That was supplied by Nordisk group and used their flex rail combined with a large touchscreen monitor. It doesn’t appear to exist anymore and that was the only one I ever fitted. The rail was generally used for sliding whiteboards.

136stu
    Free Member

why not 2 screens?

FB-ATB

I was about to post the same only without the VHS player- you youngsters with your modern tech.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Our school was build in two stages haf way along the corridor the new section was considerably higher than the old so there was a ramp its looked well hald arsed. What i learnt on that ramp was that swivel casters do no let you steer a tv trolley thing.

mattyfez

I was about to post the same only without the VHS player- you youngsters with your modern tech.

Don’t forget the 15 mins of subdued giggling whist the teacher tried in vain to figure out how to switch input source! 😀

sirromj

A normal hinged bracket should work. If the arm is about 500mm long you can mount the wall plate in the middle and hinge it one way for swift and the other way clear viewing.

I fitted an 800mm reach arm for ours (46″) as only space for TV was left of chimney breast, and sofa was back to the wall at 90 degrees to it, on the other side of chimney breast (hope that makes sense). TV can be quite flush against wall (face of TV when untilted around 10cm from wall) or fully out and turned 90 degrees for viewing. Usually it’s somewhere between the two for general day to day use.

FB-ATB

And had to play about with the screens on the side as the light was shining on the screen- get it sorted for half the class then the rest complained they couldn’t see it now?

As my initial thought of a 2nd screen was beaten by stu, how about a projector?

Kahurangi

I believe i suggested it first.

You did indeed. I missed it because my reading, much like many things in my life, are approached half heartedly and occasional wilful neglect. I’ll try and do better in future.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Sliding TV wall mount’ is closed to new replies.