Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Sleeve Anchors – how strong are they?
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

So I’m putting together a smallish desk that’s going to be a piece of timber 1200 x 600 set on two heavy duty shelf brackets. To fix the brackets to the wall, I’ve got three sleeve anchors per bracket, M8 x 50mm.

I’m starting to wonder if the anchors are big / strong enough – I have never used them before so don’t know the recommended depths / sizes. Have I got the estimate horribly wrong or will it all go to plan?

By the way, I could easily go and get different fittings if I’m totally in the wrong ballpark…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Depends what you’re putting on the desk I guess but wall anchors are solid. Well as solid as the wall you’re inserting them into.

Are they going directly into brick/block?

midlifecrashes

The sleeve anchors will not break. Tell me more about the wall which is going to hold them, and imagine two people sitting on the edge of the desk.

theflatboy
    Free Member

er… it’s an external cavity wall… is that enough?! Hopefully nobody will ever sit on it…

jota180
    Free Member

er… it’s an external cavity wall… is that enough?! Hopefully nobody will ever sit on it..

If it’s brick or block, I wouldn’t use sleeve anchors – I’d prefer a coach screw and plug

theflatboy
    Free Member

jota – interesting, what sizes would you suggest? Are you saying that due to risk of the brick/block not being strong enough to take the anchors?

jota180
    Free Member

Sleeve anchors are mainly use in solid material like concrete, anything that could have things like frogs can stop a sleeve getting purchase.

EDIT 6mm, I think – needs a 10mm drill and a 13mm socket to put them in

EDIT, EDIT, just been to look, what I use is Hilti HUD in 8×60 for brickwork
    https://www.hilti.co.uk/anchor-systems/plastic-anchors/r637

theflatboy
    Free Member

Thanks, I may try to pick up some coach screws and plugs instead then. Sorry for being dim, but when you say you use the 8×60 plugs, what size screws and you are talking about to go with them? No such thing as a stupid question, right? 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

Plugs will be 10mm – 10×50 or 60 or 80
    The screws will be 8mm, length is plug length + bracket thickness

theflatboy
    Free Member

Thanks buddy – much appreciated.

jota180
    Free Member

This should give you a better idea
    You could get away with smaller ones but without seeing the desk, it’s hard to tell.

theflatboy
    Free Member

All good, plugs and screws bought. Ready for action. Cheers again.

theflatboy
    Free Member

jota – thanks again, full success 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rjHSyg]Wall mounted desk[/url] by theflatboy, on Flickr

mlc – I did sit on it, and so far it is rock solid!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Sleeve Anchors – how strong are they?’ is closed to new replies.