Sleeping outside to raise money for homeless…what do you think ?

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Sleeping outside to raise money for homeless…what do you think ?
  • mikewsmith

Why watching a celeb do a long bike ride/swim or walk up a mountain is an emotional kick up the back side is beyond me but then again I’m not someone who idolises celebs so maybe I’m just not the target market. It is (imo obvs) pathetic that we are as we are but it does not surprise me.

Did you notice they probably also had some features on the people they were trying to help? That might have been what the emotional kick was for a lot of people, how much do you give to causes you don’t know about?

Blackflag

I suppose its whats in the heart of whoever is doing it. If they really care then its a good thing, if its a bit of “oh look how great i am” then they are a bit of a ****t.

But if it raises money then i’m sure those benefiting don’t give a damn where it comes from.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Did you notice they probably also had some features on the people they were trying to help? That might have been what the emotional kick was for a lot of people,

In which case why do we need the celeb watch bit? I guess because we (collectively) struggle with our attention span just to watch just the hard message bit. “Funny man does runny – looks hard. Oh, nasty life for homeless child – lump in throat, oh funny man is funny running again…now where’s my credit card”

how much do you give to causes you don’t know about?

Depends at what point in the process we are talking about me not knowing about it. I give a lump sum based on my annual salary for that year and try to avoid the default big hitters. I do my research then choose that year’s charities and make my donations. Sometimes I’ve chosen a charity I’ve previously not really been that aware of.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Convert, I know jokes are not funny when they have to be explained, but… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Nietzsche

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

In which case why do we need the celeb watch bit?

Because a whole night of Syrian orphans is either
    A ) a panorama episode watched by about 5% of the people who watch children in need and raises no money.
    B ) going to give people ptsd. Break it up with light entertainment and you’ve got a 4 hourtv show that’s watchable and gets those viewers to donate.

nealglover

you’ll have to enlighten me – who is he?

He was in the last series of Love Island I think, but you wouldn’t know because you are too cool to like celebrities, and think that a comedian running a Marathon every day for a month is ……

puesdo bravery and endurance

Senor Izzard es muy puesdo

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

and think that a comedian running a Marathon every day for a month is ……

To be brutally honest in comparison to living rough in the winter for a month it’s not all that. I’ve got friends who have done similar for fun. Slightly weird masochistic fun I grant you but if you are wired that way…

taxi25

To be brutally honest in comparison to living rough in the winter for a month it’s not all that. 

I’d find living rough for a month easier. I’ve spoken to plenty of ex and current rough sleepers. People are amazingly resiliant and adaptable. One bloke has had his own place for a couple of years now and still sleeps on the floor next to his bed, he just can’t get on with it.
    Whereas the cumulative toll of doing a marathon every day would break me pretty quickly 🙁

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

People are amazingly resiliant and adaptable. One bloke has had his own place for a couple of years now and still sleeps on the floor next to his bed, he just can’t get on with it.

To be fair – your one example does sound rather like he needs to work on his adaptability 😉

taxi25

Not the best example agreed 😂

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.