Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Sleeping bags?
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Our super light paper thin sleeping bags are not only too small around my shoulders, they are also not very warm (bought them for travelling in Oz 10 years ago!)

Any recommendations for a 2 season sleeping bags? Needs to be big enough, warm enough (5-20 degrees or so) and not too silly priced. Like Vango kit (got a nice tent of theirs) but it can be any make. Won't be hiking with it so weight not really an issue – just comfy and warm!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I have just brought a vango nitestar 300xl. A couple of folks recomended it on here. A proper sized bag. 1.1M wide and toasty warm. Going for around £40.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Have a look at the Vango Ultralite range (the 100 is the summer one), they are usually on offer at Gaynors.co.uk for around £30, bit of a bargain, but the website wont work at the moment for some reason.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Vango Venom – about the size of a small loaf of bread, good down to near 0 (think mine is the 225 fill power), around £80 and just utterly fantastic.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member
    matt_outandabout

Our outdoor shop in Killin has Mountain Equipment bags in half price at the moment – either down or synthetic.

Stoner
    Free Member

alpkit.

great vfm for good quality kit.

freddyg
    Free Member

+1 for alpkit.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

You first need to decide on Synthetic or down filling, they both have advantages and disadvantages.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Alpkit VFM agreed but in terms of weight and pack size they are not that spectacular.

myheadsashed

Cos they're cheap tragic'

You want pack size get a Rab or PHD and you'll pay 3x the cost.

hairyneep
    Free Member

+2 for Alpkit, good range, good quality, different sizes on the Skyhigh and well priced

montylikesbeer

+3 for alpkit

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Cheers all! BA – probably sythetic. It's not for "hardcore" camping, just normal stuff using a car to get us there.

Like the Vango Nitestar 300xl – looks nice and big!

Will now check out all the other recommendations!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Vango Venom – about the size of a small loaf of bread, good down to near 0 (think mine is the 225 fill power), around £80 and just utterly fantastic.

How big is it? While only a shortar5e (5'8"), years of surfing and gyming means I'm wider than usual and need a bit of extra shoulder space.

I do like the idea of down.

jacksta
    Free Member

Try Kathmandu when they are on sale – their own brand stuff is awesome value (on sale c.50% off). they have sales all the time, just keep an eye out

alpin
    Free Member

Our super light paper thin sleeping bags

did you leave them stored in their stuff sacks? i bought a decent bag when in Oz. dug it out a fwe years later and the once fluffy sleeping bag was a 1" think sack.

leave them stored unpacked hanging up if possible….

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I've got the lightest weight Vango Venom – Its a good bag and they do tuck down very small.

I sleep hot and even I found that their quoted comfort level was a degree or two out.

Good for the money for down though. I'd happily get another, probably the two season one.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

How big is it? While only a shortar5e (5'8"), years of surfing and gyming means I'm wider than usual and need a bit of extra shoulder space.

I do like the idea of down.

Plenty big enough mate – I am 6'2" and built like the proverbial brick outhouse and have plenty of room!

Really is a top bag!

I had a look at the spec of the Alpkit bags and they seemed like they would be a bit cramped for me – the other one I was going to suggest is Rock & Run's own kit. I bought one of their down bags (3 season – rated to -5) for £65 or so – designed by them but made by RAB 😉 Okay it isn't the quality materials that RAB use in their own stuff, but for the price (and given I bought it for motorbike rallies) it is really rather fantastic value!

Though in this weather the old Venom is going to be getting broken out again I think 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

did you leave them stored in their stuff sacks? i bought a decent bag when in Oz. dug it out a fwe years later and the once fluffy sleeping bag was a 1" think sack.

leave them stored unpacked hanging up if possible….

They were an early attempt at superlight (750g) bags and fine for Oz but they were also pretty cheap and give that "clammy" feel. Wife is fine in hers but as I can't fit properly, I get a really cold upper body! I think they have got thinner too though.

RobS – I am very tempted. If you fit, I'll have no problem! Gone a bit Vango mad and got their Equinox 450 tent (4 man, almost storm proof) and three of their "therma rests" and I'm very impressed. Seems to be well made stuff for little money.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Yeah – got the Equinox 350 myself. The higher end Vango stuff is decent, the cheap stuff is utter shite though 😉

mcinnes
    Free Member

Just back from first family 'car camping' trip. Have a load of good Alpkit stuff, but went for a low-end Coleman sleeping bag for about £26 from Amazon because:
    – I am generally very warm anyway
    – We know we're only likely to go in moderate or good weather

We also got a good Mountain Equipment bag for the missus to ensure she didn't get cold and that I could use for proper hike or bike camping (as the pack size in literally half or a third the size of the lower cost Coleman).

So whilst I massively support the Alpkit recommendations (their mats and headtorches are fantastic, amongst other things) I understand where you're coming from and can recommend the Coleman sub-£30 bag.

Hope that helps.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Sleeping bags?’ is closed to new replies.