Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Sleeping bag for the back of the van
  • stayhigh

Morning All,

I’m after a new sleeping bag for in the back of the van. It will mainly be used for the occasional overnight here and there and the odd camping trips when my other bag would be too light. Weight isn’t an issue, not fussed if mummy or square but a right hand zip is. Budget of say £50

duncancallum

Go outdoors, OEX is their own brand and not bad value.

Id just look at temp range and cost if size isn’t important.

stayhigh

Sadly no right hand zip.

CountZero

Keep an eye on Lidl/Aldi special offers, especially now we’re coming into the holiday planning season. They’re basically a Coleman bag, but about half the price. How do I know this? Going to South Devon for a week camping and realising after unpacking that I’d brought everything except my sleeping bag! On the way into Kingsbridge I spotted an outdoor/camping place and they had some Coleman bags, and they’re identical.
    Quite heavy, but very snug and warm, the Coleman one was about £45, IIRC, and the Lidle/Aldi one £19.95. As good as bag as you could want for use in a van, I’ve got a cotton liner bag as well, it’s a bit more comfortable next the skin.

5lab
    stayhigh

Have been waiting for the obligatory Aldi/Lidl camping offers to come around its just I “may” have a window of opportunity next week.

@5lab
    what’s the go with the hood and rabbit ears on the Decathlon bag?

5lab

I think the floppy things can either be a neck warmer or a pillow (inside the ‘hood’). We have just used them as pillows

dyna-ti

Snugpak ?. they do very nice bags and a number about the rating youre after 😕

bob_summers

The Decat’ one 5lab posted – if you never have to carry it anywhere, it’s brilliant. Got 3 of them that live in the van. Bought in a hurry when a trip to Catalunya went sub-zero (was 30º the week after!). The ears are a kind of baffle as the opening is shoulder width. They’re fiddly to get back in the stuffsack so I don’t bother.

Could be wrong but Snugpaks generally come in over OP’s budget?

saxabar
    Free Member

Have a cheap-o Vango bag for the van, but I’m increasingly just chucking a spare duvet and wool blanket in. If a van is a luxury, you might as well go all-in!

benp1

What sort of temperatures and have you got a mat already? You might be OK with a nice warm duvet to be honest…

I use decathlon bags for the kids (they’re adult sized, synthetic 0C bags and work just great). I’ve had them for well over 12 years. Ironically called ‘ultralight’ but they weigh 2kg! Have only ever been carried in a car

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Ex army sleeping bag, plenty on eBay warm and snug in the winter and perfectly usable in the summer.

Go for an A GRADE extra large

End of thread !

dyna-ti

@Bob
    Theres certainly a number over his limit, but also a fair amount of various temp ratings in and around the 50 quid mark.
    https://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/sleeping-bags?dir=desc&order=price&p=2

It’s a good quality brand so its bound to be worth the outlay, especially if the other offerings are lidl or aldi, which isnt a company you look towards normally for camping kit.

duncancallum

@dyna-ti

I think they’re all left handed zips.

Love snugpack stuff. I’ve an older chrysalis and its lovely

orangespyderman

I’ve one of these

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/cotton-sleeping-bag-for-camping-arpenaz-0-cotton/_/R-p-172511

its like being in bed. lovely.

The Decat’ one 5lab posted – if you never have to carry it anywhere, it’s brilliant. Got 3 of them that live in the van. Bought in a hurry when a trip to Catalunya went sub-zero (was 30º the week after!). The ears are a kind of baffle as the opening is shoulder width. They’re fiddly to get back in the stuffsack so I don’t bother.

I’ll third this. I have one and it’s a really nice bag, but it’s warm and bulky. Use ours in the van in the winter but have a similar 20° one for warmer months. Agree also with the comments about the pillow system which is a bit weird and I wouldn’t use one if I had to carry it anywhere – it’s really quite bulky, but for the van it’s fine. It goes in the bag better without the hood so we’ve been leaving ours off (since we have proper pillows in the van anyway…)

dyna-ti

I think they’re all left handed zips.

Ah, another leftie. Yeah, must be right side. Of the bags ive used it really makes a difference having the correct side and if not its a total pain…in the shoulder.
    Vango used to do right side as my old ultralite 1300m is a right side zip, but just had a look and apparently not.
    Alpkit does but theyre outwith the price limit.

I think it would be the best option to get another light bag and double up with his old bag. Snugpak do that on their better bags, and I reckon most here who winter camp are not averse to using two..

duncancallum

Other option is a bag with no hood or have a bod with a sewing machine cut n replace the hood and use it upside down

fatbikedog
    Free Member

As has been said, ex army and of thread.

stayhigh

Thanks for the replies all. I’ve ordered a Snugpak Navigator Sq and a Mountain Warehouse Summit 250 so will see what these are like when they land.

I quite like the degree of flexibility offered by the Navigator as it can be used as a quilt while the Summit has a lower suggested temperature rating, which are know are wildly subjective at best, so would be more of a one trick pony. Hadn’t thought of double bagging but but in all honesty if its going to be that cold I’d probably look at staying somewhere rather than the wagon!

dyna-ti

From the summit 250 site –
    “3/4 Season – Cold nights early Winter
    Comfort Temperature – The comfort temperature for this sleeping bag is -1°C to 4°C”
    3-4 season 😯 really ??

Probably better with the snugpak, i’d trust their rating over cheapo outlet like mountain warehouse.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Sleeping bag for the back of the van’ is closed to new replies.