• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Sleeping bag advice please.
  • curvature
    Free Member

My daughter is going to stay in an old castle for a week with school in mid November.

They have to take a sleeping bag. I’m thinking a 3 season one would be about right.

Any advice or suggestions please. I have looked at Field and Trek and they seem to have some good deals on.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’ve had various kinds of Snugpak sleeping bags over the years. Very happy with them. Not had a zip break or a tear. All been holofibre.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Id consider how small it needs to pack down to, how likely it is to get damp, how tall your daughter is etc
    And how often will she use it.

There are junior bags that will do the job, but if shes over 10 id look for an adult or small adult bag (they do short bags in decathlon).

And there a lots of cheap bulky 3 season bags that will do the job, if she doesnt have to carry it far.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ktmblag
    Free Member

vango sleeping bags are excellent value for money

matt_outandabout

Borrow one?
    If you have to buy, it is one of those things that you can use for bikepacking she can use occasionally for a good few years to come.
    Big brand, hollow fibre, you wont go much wrong. Buy a full size – then she can use for DofE etc as she gets older. MountainEquipment starlight are great for warmth and pack size, if tad heavy. Vango are great value and OK perfomance.
    Tesco had some silly cheap down ones in a couple of winters ago having said that…

sarahgreen
    Free Member

I agree vango are great value. I have a 3 season which is incredibly cosy and has fleece feet warmers. Lovely!

Olly
    Free Member

Go full size for sure. Go synthetic for sure (if there was any doubt) and i would aim for a 3 season. after that you get what you pay for i figure! if she is likely to do DofE and all that jazz, get the best you are prepared to fork out for! Muntin Equipment ones are jolly good, mine has an elasticated inner, which holds the internal lining against you, helping the insulation to loft.

curvature
    Free Member

Thank you I’ll have a browse now.

stevious

If you do go for the down route, the alpkit sleeping bags are superb value and should make a good investment.

footflaps

Down is completely OTT unless you have to hike miles with it. Expensive, hard to wash, collapses when damp, etc….

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

+1 for Alpkit.
    I also have a Berghaus Flare 1100, And it’s incredibly comfy and warm, packs up small. All good 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

Does she sleep ‘warm’ or ‘cold’? Women tend to sleep colder than men so tend to need more insulation.

Ask around and see whether anyone you know has a bag to borrow. Just buy a sleeping bag liner to keep it clean (and a little warmer) and see how it goes.

Olly
    Free Member

Down is indeed excellent, but on a DofE or school trip, or in the hands of a 10 year old(?) getting damp is more likely which wont do it any good, nor will being forgotten about compressed at the bottom of a rucksack for a month

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Sleeping bag advice please.’ is closed to new replies.