Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Sleeping at work… do you..?
  • Drac

I’m going to re find this thread next time someone moans about teachers holidays!!

To be fair you don’t work afternoons.

DrJ

It’s normal in our head office in Beijing, but a suggestion we introduce the same practice in the UK was met with a stony refusal.

northernsoul

Sometimes go home for lunch (lucky enough to be 10 min from work by car, 20 min by bike), and a 20 min nap after lunch is great – at the end of the day (pun intended) I’m much more productive because of it.

redstripe
    Free Member

Growing up abroad in a hot climate we always had an afternoon kip and never really got out of it. Still do, even when I was ‘working’ for a company, after lunch used to go out to the van and nod off for a bit. Feel much better afterwards. Much better than relying on coffee to fight through tiredness. Some people can’t though, Mrs goes psychotic after if she ‘accidentally’ kips during the day.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i see dracs still not achieved the levels of mediocre comedian.

Drac

We all have ambitions trail rat.

jimmy

In my first job coding and testing, I sat behind my Indian boss as he mumbled through a test plan. And fell asleep in my chair. I’m not sure if he turned round and saw me or not, too polite to say.

Really funny the little dreams you can have in a few seconds.

I also fell asleep driving guests along an Italian motorway once. Only for seconds,  but in those seconds I dreamt I’d got back home and my girlfriend was shouting “YOU FELL ASLEEP?!? !??!”, the shock of which woke me up fortunately.

bruneep

Drac wrote

Shocked I didn’t think there was so many firefighters on here.

If only you stuck in at school you might have been good enough to join.

Drac

If only you stuck in at school you might have been good enough to join.

Yeah I didn’t do the colouring in class.

Kuco

Use to have a quick nap at dinner times years ago. Worst one i remember was stopping for dinner on a hot summers day in some farmers field. Van parked next to the digger seat back boots off and feet up on the open door window and just went, woke up 4 hours later.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I sleep in meetings.

Room with no windows, corporated drone banging on in in a monotonous voice….and I have to drink several espressos and pinch myself constantly so I don’t pass out.

bruneep

Drac wrote

Yeah I didn’t do the colouring in class.

Yeah life must’ve been tough not being allowed to play with chubby crayons

Drac

Every day I cry a little inside.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Whilst doing online training – of the not most interesting training – class 1 nics i was woken by my manager. I told her i was thinking. She told me next time do your thinking with your eyes open and your mouth shut.

I also fell asleep during the introductory chat when i worked for hmce given by the regional collector in charge ( though it had been a heavy lunch in the pub)

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Current office job? Nope, unfortunately.

As a student? Hell yea! We used to take it in turns at Halfords after a heavy session the night before to nip through to the warehouse for a snooze. We had a duvet tucked behind some bike boxes on the pallet racking, it was a proper little nest.

Similarly, there was one particularly toasty summer spent tattie rouging (2008 maybe) when there were more than a few naps had. Tattie drills are really comfy, plus the foliage is useful to avoid been spied by the farmer 😀 . Manual labour, snoozes in the sunshine, and not a care in the world. Happy days.

welshfarmer91

jameoz, I was trying to reply to my brothers post (welshfarmer, without the 91) but it didn’t land where I expected it to, and couldn’t work out how to delete it!

celticdragon

Only one unofficial sleep at work, official ones being lunch hour in the car.

During the hot weather I wasn’t sleeping well as the flat is south facing and trying to sleep in 29 degrees was never going to work. One day we had an “all hands meeting” by conference call, basically one of the managers waffling on about how good we are. Not having to watch the screen I put my head on my forearms, and was ko’d!! I woke up a few minutes later to my colleague and manager sniggering.

Good job we all get on and nothing more has ever been said.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I do blocks of on call night shifts, does anyone know a way to set off an alarm when a watsapp message is recieved? 9/10 I wake up for but it would be less stressful and easier to sleep if my phone just kept beeping when a message was recieved until i got up and acknowledged it.

timber

More than I thought having considered the question.

In current job there is quite a bit of mid summer napping, under the tractor is best to avoid sun burn. Winter has some extended lunch breaks in the Land Rover, quite an achievement to fall asleep with the rain hammering the roof.

Previous warehouses where I’ve worked have all had sleepy places; mezzanines full of seat covers, piles of carpet, big crates full of marquee linings and at another, boxes of baby clothes.

brakes
    Free Member

As a sponsored student and on my gap year I used to sleep in the work toilets for at least an hour each day. I used to call it bog-napping. At one point my boss went on long-term sick so I used to just sleep in his office.

Northwind

Pretty much every time I do a long drive with work I will “become tired” and have a nap for safety reasons.

squirrelking
    Free Member

In the bad old days of British manufacturing there were legends about entire shifts at British Leyland being found asleep at night.

Pff, used to do that in the power stations if they weren’t too busy getting pissed. There’s the legend at work about one guy who was sent back by his missus after she refused to let him back in the house as he never left in that state. And the other who stayed in work pissing up for several days over Christmas with each shift coming in, seemingly he just crashed out in a laundry pile whenever he needed a recharge.

In all honesty I’m not above resting my eyes on a night shift but I have a pager and a radio that stays loud enough that I hear it. Never sleep more than a light doze anyway.

mooman
    Free Member

Is there any other job apart from fireman that actually makes the effort of putting beds in the work place?

Gotta be one of the cushiest jobs to be fair; decent wage .. no qualifications needed .. respected occupation .. sleep most of your nightshift👌

I used to ride with a few firemen; I remember one saying the most difficult bit about doing the nightshift was getting off the PlayStation before 12am … gotta love a job like that😎

senorj

Not for a while but back in the day I worked “somewhere” and our department converted a storeroom’s shelves into bunks. There would be 6 of us all snug in work jackets dozing from 9 to about 1130 every day. Sometimes we were woken by a sheepish & peeved “supervisor” panicking that the building was going to blow up and could we come and take a look. ha.  🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

actually makes the effort of putting beds in the work place?

only other ones i know   are in The City.  i.e you work so long and hard that you can sleep at the office too, no need to go home, stay here and work more!

arrpee
    Free Member

I do, but my passengers’ screaming usually wakes me.

Houns

In current job the boss occasionally disappears off in the van for a bit of kip, if I happen to be in the van with him when he goes off I either fiddle with my phone or rest my eyes for a bit (I can’t nap, I need a full 8+ hours otherwise I feel hungover) Luckily we know all of the estate very well and have radios in case management need us. When we both had flu earlier in the year we both at times fell asleep standing up

plumber
    Free Member

Sometimes, maybe 20 times a year I’ll sleep in the car over lunch

Most of the time I work through

If I have a morning meeting anything up to 11 I’ll set of at 5 to avoid traffic and sleep til meeting time, more often that not someone is late so we have to wait for them

CountZero

For nearly two years up until mid-April this year I worked as part of a team of agency drivers picking up and delivering cars for British Car Auctions. This meant that it would be planned by ou team leader/driver to have a carry-over, a car we would take home over night, deliver next morning, then be picked up and taken to our next pick-up address. We covered the South-west, whichin reality meant going as far into Cornwall as Helston and Land’s End, up as far as Liverpool, and into London and Eastbourne, even Norfolk. Which meant half the day stretched across the back seats of the team car, latterly a C4 Grand Picasso. I put a folded travel blanket in the back to lean back against, feet across the rearmost two seats, made up a cushion with gloves and a beanie, and slept for most of the time I wasn’t driving.

Getting paid to drive other people’s cars, some pretty swanky, listening to the Radio, using someone else’s fuel, and sleeping when I wasn’t driving, which meant a total of roughly six out of twelve s total, was rather fine. Sadly, my new job involves me walking around the site up to four-five miles a day, with brief bits of driving cars around.

I miss the old job…

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve ever had a job where there’s been time to sleep!  I do remember many years ago when we first got a computer in the school office, going on a training course (data protection, so pretty dull!) with the headteacher – I coughed fairly gently to wake him up.  I don’t think anyone else noticed…

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Sleeping at work… do you..?’ is closed to new replies.