Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sleeper advice
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m booked on my first sleeper service tomorrow night, could only afford a “reclining seat” – how comfy are these?

I’ll take the usual eye-patch, ear plugs etc, should I take a sleeping bag?

camo16
    Free Member

Reasonably.

Pre-tipple or two is necessary to get the mood right. I’d recommend port or armagnac. Stare at the scenery, dull perceptions, snooze, snooze, snooze.

If you have recurring back problems, the following morning could be a right tw*t though.

Dobbo

I thought you were part of a terrorist cell from the thread title, very disappointing.

wwaswas

anti dvt socks might be worth considering.

Stoner
    Free Member

a hat and a buff is best way of keeping warm. Got a hell of a chill on a London/Glasgow sleeper once.

rootes1

i have been in a 1st class booth and a 2nd class booth…

worst nights sleep i have ever had… had a better sleep in a grit bin…

hate to think what the seated sleeper is like… they look just like normal 125 1st class recliners..

if you can sleep anywhere think it would be a good option..

camo16
    Free Member

Stoner, what kind of hat should cynic-al wear? I’m intrigued. Don’t know the fella personally, but I reckon a fedora would suit.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

o dear , did that once as a teenager, now i just pay the extra 40 quid, if youre lucky they will have a few bunks left when you get on…but they have a really cool Tv and you get a bacon roll and coffee….i loved the sensation of the bed…. yea so just give the guard 40 quid and get a nights sleep, there is no way you can have any thing but a horrible time in one of those seats, how far you going?

Dobbo

i loved the sensation of the bed….

😯

ilovemygears
    Free Member

its a bit like being on a boat

cynic-al
    Free Member

I just thought I’d give it a go to see how it was…it’s Edinburgh -> London, not much on on Saturday when I arrive, what’s the worst that can happen?

ilovemygears
    Free Member

id find the 40 quid mate

rootes1

id find the 40 quid mate

yer and get out to the airport… 😆

the sleeper is sooooo slow done it from both inverness and aberdeen…

often it just sits still for ages in the middle of knowwhere..

it is an ‘experience’ though and better than flying for taking a bike

you can even get two people, bromptons and a case of beer/snacks in a berth..

the bar is also odd… it boast the ‘only leather sofas on the network’…. sure some people just stay in the bar car all night

geoffj

I’m booked on my first sleeper service tomorrow night, could only afford a “reclining seat”

😯

I barely sleep in one of the bunks, I dread to think how bad it will be in a recliner.

My advice would be a large dose of night nurse + whisky.

Oh and don’t be freaked out when you wake up travelling in the opposite direction. something to do with shunting at Carstairs.

And remember you can use the 1st class lounge at Euston to get a couple of hours kip freshen up.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

id get hold of some blues if i were you

mustard
    Free Member

I decided to save money and just get a reclining seat on the overnight ferry Portsmouth > Santander; worst money I ever saved and I can usually sleep anywhere and had a fair few jars before hand.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Just press your face against the window and pretend you’re flying all the way to London.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

If in 1st class don’t whatever you do wash your face in the sink. They’re de facto urinals.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sleeper advice’ is closed to new replies.