Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • slayer
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

any one going to ally pally tonight?

dead excited. [url=http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/facebook-smileys.html][/url][url=http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/facebook-smileys.html][/url]

flyingmonkeycorps

Have you heard the slowed down version of Angel of Death on youtube? It’s terrifying!

(Have a good one!)

WackoAK
    Free Member

I almost booked up for the weekend as EL-P was playing but he’s had to cancel. Slayer should be good, are they playing the full Reign in Blood set only?

tjr666
    Free Member

Lucky sod, full report on return!

ratswithwings
    Free Member

RIB with extra songs

chiefgrooveguru

…are they playing the full Reign in Blood set only?

That would be a very short gig!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Report back please!

scruff
    Free Member

Saw them in Brum a few years ago, they really do deserve their reputation.

mikey74
    Free Member

Yep. I’m going \m/ \m/

Looking forward to seeing YOB and Sleep too.

votchy
    Free Member

Not my cup of tea but saw them at sonisphere a couple of years ago and they were fantastic, not seen a crowd go that mad for a while 😀

nobtwidler
    Free Member

ittaika
    Free Member

no. way.

full “reign in blood”?

slayer are always amazing live. good commuting music too.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Good luck.

I enjoy their cover of Minor Threats “Filler”

croen
    Free Member

This always makes me smile.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHb4gs1hwck[/video]

Sorry, first attempt at the link/video thing. Hope it works.

nbt

That’s brilliant Croen! Proper moshpit action

not going, hadn;t realised they were in the UK. Would love to see slayer but want to do so at a small venue, not a huge arena or a festival

ittaika
    Free Member

now those churches look a lot more fun than your average church of scotland gathering…

Kato

LOL @ Croen’s vid

Northwind

800% slower Angel of Death is going to give me even more nightmares than 700% slower dialup noise.

freeagent
    Free Member

I saw them at Wembley arena around 20 years ago, in a gig called clash of the titans – they were awesome then, and i’ve no doubt they’ve still got it – Kerry King is a very under-rated guitarist.
    Enjoy.

funkynick

freeagent…. I was at that gig as well… they were supported by Suicidal Tendancies and Testament, and sharing the headline with Megadeth…

Absolutely brilliant gig… loudest I have ever been to I think, ears were ringing for days afterwards… and got utterly mashed in the mosh pit too… those were the days!!! :o)

I think I have the t-shirt still too!

wordnumb
    Free Member

good commuting music too.

Walking to school, if I’d overslept I’d play the cassette of Reign in Blood on the walkman to get there on time. Audio caffeine nitroglycerin.

If I recall correctly the album was so short it was repeated on both sides of the tape.

restless
    Free Member

freeagent…. I was at that gig as well… they were supported by Suicidal Tendancies and Testament, and sharing the headline with Megadeth…

I saw the same tour at Birmingham NEC, i was only 14 😀 and it was wicked 😀

Saw Slayer and Megadeth and Metallica last year at Sonisphere too and was fantastic.

racefaceec90

i would give my right nut* to see em/be able to play any of their stuff. just an awesome band (and reign in blood is the best thrash album bar none! 😈
    *metaphorically speaking 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

I was at the Clash of the titans gig as well 🙂

Is Hanneman all better after his spider bite?

nbt

Jeff’s still not touring 🙁

croen
    Free Member

Yeah, I was at clash of the titans at the NEC too. Slayer were awesome.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Jeff’s still ill.

I have some misgivings about the white power aspects of Slayer but having seen them live, Tom Araya casually observing the total chaos in the pit in front of him is one of the coolest things EVER.

Pigface
    Free Member

White power aspects?????

Kato

Pigface – Member

White power aspects?????

Jeff Hanneman has an interest in Nazi war medals I read somewhere?

Pigface
    Free Member

By that thinking Motorhead are the house band for the BNP, FFS

Kato

Alright chap, don’t have an an seizure. It’s just what I remember reading about a while ago.

Why don’t you sit tight for colonel wax to enlighten you?

Toasty

Well Tom and Dave are of Chilean and Cuban parentage, and the producer they’ve worked with the most, Rick Rubin, is Jewish. Slayer are rubbish white supremicists.

They just take inspiration from twisted and controversial stuff, hence singing songs about Nazis, Satanism (despite Tom Araya being a Catholic!) and serial killers.

Feel really sorry for Jeff with his manky arm, but also slightly amused by something that sounds like it could be a Slayer song. “THIS IS…NECROTIZING! FASCIITIS!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

\m/

MrsToast
    Free Member

Derp, just realised that I posted on Mr Toast’s account again. Alas, he understands little of the beauty of Slayer. 🙁

If there are any massively argumentative posts from me about bearings or suspension design, it means I’ve forgot to log out and Mr Toast is posting from my account… 😛

mikey74
    Free Member

It was a great gig. YOB were good (what I saw of them) and so were WITTR, The Melvins, and Sleep.

I’ve kinda given up on Slayer on record, but live there are still something else. Gary Holt (I think that’s the one) from Exodus did well.

Kerry King is not a great guitarist but it doesn’t seem to matter hahaha.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Off of wiki:

Slayer has been accused of holding Nazi sympathies, due to the band’s eagle logo bearing resemblance to the Eagle atop swastika and the lyrics of “Angel of Death”.Angel of Death was inspired by the acts of Josef Mengele, the doctor who conducted human experiments on prisoners during World War II at the Auschwitz concentration camp, and was dubbed the “Angel of Death” by inmates. Throughout their career, the band members were asked about these accusations, and have stated numerous times they do not condone Nazism and are merely interested in the subject. It has also been noted several times that the album was produced by Rick Rubin who is Jewish, and that it would be irrational for Latino American band members Araya and Lombardo “to benefit the Aryan race.”

Slayer’s cover of Minor Threat’s “Guilty of Being White” raised questions about a possible message of white supremacy in the band’s music. The controversy surrounding the cover involved the changing of the refrain “guilty of being white” to “guilty of being right”, at the song’s ending. This incensed Minor Threat frontman Ian MacKaye, who stated “that is so offensive to me.” King said it was changed for “tongue-in-cheek” humor as he thought the allegation of racism at the time was “ridiculous”

Dunno. Don’t like that stuff. Ace band but I’m not cool with that. Doesn’t stop me listening to it.

Pigface
    Free Member

So Wiki are saying Minor Threat are a racist band? 🙄

Utter bobbins.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Right, hang on a minute. I know Ian Mackaye isn’t racist. Minor Threat is one of my favourite bands, along with Fugazi. I even bought the Pailhead album, that’s the extent of my man-crush on him. I just don’t think it’s his finest moment.

I appreciate that Slayer are a bit like a horror film – it’s entertaining, they don’t mean it. I just don’t like that bit of their schtick.

Don’t get me wrong, they’re ace. My first guitar was a BC Rich Warlock. I love Slayer. But it would be cooler if they didnt have that side to them.

Pigface
    Free Member

Colnel I dont think they have that side to them, only my opinion of course.

colonelwax
    Free Member

To be honest, there’s a danger this will go all STW-off tangent.

Slayer are cool, if you went last night I hope they were ace.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘slayer’ is closed to new replies.