Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Slating on-one
  • forexpipz
    Free Member

In local bikeshop today and overheard owner slating on-one.

Said their carbon frames had no carbon in them. LMAO silently knowing the owner is full of BS.

I own and inbred single speed and its amazing given its insanely competitive price. Some reports even suggest its not inferior to SIR Niner.

If your listening Brant. Well done with all your fine work and my next purchase will be at your showroom of the same frame, but 29er.

wwaswas

owner is full of BS

It’s Local BS though, which is more expensive but delivered with a personal touch.

allthepies
    Free Member

True about the no carbon though, the “carbon” material is in fact clippings of Ed Oxley’s beard.

chojin
    Free Member

Oldest sales technique in the book: slagging off the competition. If they can’t give you positive reasons why you should buy their products, and instead choost to give you negative reasons why you shouldn’t buy their competitors’, that’s just a bad salesman.

Yes… I think that made sense?

mangatank
    Free Member

I wonder what he thinks they are made from? Baked beans? 😆

forexpipz
    Free Member

What is it with beards.

The respect garnered from the intellectual communities at large is not worth the grooming hours devoted.

dday

I own a big fancy bling’d up FS bike.

I also have (for many years now) an original 29’er on-one Inbred SS, upon which I was grinning like an idiot while out riding this morning. Also had a lot of fun on the Summer Season slacker hardtail, and a rather amazing Pompino. On-one is all good in my book.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Instead of being so bitter they should learn to be more carbon-neutral.

honourablegeorge

“No carbon in then, it’s some weirdly light, strong aluminium”

mangatank
    Free Member

What is it with beards.

Well you never see Ed Oxley and God in the same room together..

Hmm…I wonder…

argoose
    Free Member

Maybe the C stands for celery!

Northwind

You know when you take your old chipboard furniture to the recycling, and they turn it into something even lower quality than chipboard furniture- that’s On One carbon (And also, gluten free bread)

True fact, it’s on the internet. Well, it is now.

righog
    Free Member

Celery bikes are ace, the more you ride them the lighter they get.

warton
    Free Member

a guy in an lbs yesterday said my canyon aeroad frame was inferior to a 2 grand 105 equipped Trek, and it didn’t have a warranty either. i assured him it did have a warranty, then asked him how many pro tour races the trek frame has won.

i can understand their desire to promote the brands they sell tbh, but some of the stuff they come out with is laughable.

LoCo
    Free Member

Not the best way to endear yourself to your customer telling them their bike is crap 😆

rocketman
    Free Member

’tis often the way though

It’s like a skill they have of not saying anything – not even the slightest roll of the eyes – you just know they think it’s crap

Edit: perhaps that’s just my bikes 😳

forexpipz
    Free Member

The whole Canyon range looks immensely well put together. There R&D looks the business. Exceptional company.

If I were to buy a full build it would be a Canyon. Whilst they are no SantaCruz I’ll bet they make some massive inroads within five years.

Canyon Tallboy in Carbon would be nice and perhaps the price could be slashed from 8 thousand to 3.

patriotpro
    Free Member

But LBSs are better aren’t they…….

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Bike shops aren’t as bad as record shops. They sneer at you for buying the stock they carry. Count yourselves lucky!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But LBSs are better aren’t they…….

Well you can’t get a demo saddle from CRC*.

*haven’t got it from my LBS either, but they have promised to let me know when they get them as they’re due, but then they promised a spacer for my magura forks 3 years ago and it never turned up.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Demo a saddle…That someone else has rubbed their sweaty crotch on…repeatedly…

hora
    Free Member

I joke about On one’s bike looks but then its definitely function over form with their bikes isn’t it? They ‘work’. Whereas some boutique (and even main stream) bikes are all about bling bling but are shit to ride.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ever caught the bus/train/taxi or used a public loo?

Better than buying £130 saddles and finding they don’t fit.

taxi25
    Free Member

“Bike shops aren’t as bad as record shops. They sneer at you for buying the stock they carry. Count yourselves lucky!”

Some hounrable exceptions. Went into Spillers in Cardiff looking for a record by this guy ( father inlaw )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7sid22OMV0
    Couldn’t have been more helpfull, no laughter nothing.

hora
    Free Member

One could always burst into the shop shouting

‘OI, My bell end is tingling and I can’t hold an erection…LOOK’

😈

forexpipz
    Free Member

Supporting an LBS is all very well but we need to be buying domestic in most facets of life. It goes beyond saying support your local bike shop. Some businesses just have penis patrol owners. Plain and simple.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Yes, there are many lovely record shop owners/staff. The three I was thinking of haven’t seen me in many years.

The best ones look at your selections and say “Ah! Have you heard…?

nicko74

You know, they normally do it with clothes on…

patriotpro
    Free Member

I haven’t used a taxi or a bus literally for years and I tend not to use a public bog for a dump unless it’s out of pure desperation.

Saying that I wouldn’t pay £130 for a bike-seat, rather i’d pay half that or less and take a punt on the basis I could sell if it didn’t “fit” or get another one when it wears out.

honourablegeorge

thisisnotaspoon – Member

I had a public loo on my Soul for a bit, it was rather heavy and unconfortable

ThePinkster

hora – Member
    ‘OI, My bell end is tingling and I can’t hold an erection…LOOK’ 😈

Is there something you want to tell us, Hora? 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

You know, they normally do it with clothes on…

Do what?

davosaurusrex

I was in a bike shop a few years back and overheard another customer telling the shop owner that he was considering either an Ellsworth or a Turner. The shop owner replied “I wouldn’t touch Turner with a barge pole, really badly built and terrible customer service”. Bonus point for first person to guess the name of the shop!

ransos
    Free Member

If you don’t support your local BS merchant, you have no right to complain when there’s no local BS available any more.

svalgis
    Free Member

You can support your LBS without swallowing every piece if crap they spit in your direction though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

One could always burst into the shop shouting

‘OI, My bell end is tingling and I can’t hold an erection…LOOK’

That was pretty much how the conversation went.

ransos
    Free Member

You can support your LBS without swallowing every piece if crap they spit in your direction.

Why would I want to?

Northwind

ransos – Member

If you don’t support your local BS merchant, you have no right to complain when there’s no local BS available any more.

Bravo.

Though, I daresay Superstar will give you the same BS with different branding on it for less, AND you’ll get free Haribo.

dazh

Funny I had the exact opposite experience. I was in my LBS looking at a genesis steel frame bike (just browsing, not buying), and the lad who worked there said ‘Don’t bother mate, go to the on one website, they’re cheaper and better’. Bit odd I thought.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’ve never owned any Brant designed frames, but been told that some designs have had “issues”. Any troof in that?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Slating on-one’ is closed to new replies.