Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Slapheads. When did you decide enough was enough?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I used to work with this bloke that looked like Willie Thorne the snooker player. He had a proper comb over, all carefully ‘styled’ from right to left, with a parting at earlobe level. Anyway, one day I saw him walking over the yard on a windy day and this curved carpet of hair was gently hinging up and down like a haunted trapdoor. Bloody hysterical!
    Nobody laughs at a bald bloke (I’ve been using clippers for years, I’m thin on top) but everyone laughs at a bald bloke that tries to cover it up

samuri
    Free Member

Guy at one place I worked at would put boot polish on his head.it would run when he got wet or sweaty.

He hated women as well. Nasty bloke.

hora
    Free Member

If you’ve got a big jaw and/or interesting eyes I think you can more than get away with it.

If you have small piggie eyes and/or a weaker jaw no hair makes you look like a fiddler.

Wookster

hora – Member
    If you’ve got a big jaw and/or interesting eyes I think you can more than get away with it.
    If you have small piggie eyes and/or a weaker jaw no hair makes you look like a fiddler.

That mate is the stuff of STW Gold!! A genuine Laugh out loud moment!!

hora
    Free Member

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

samuri
    Free Member

I thought facial hair made you look like a fiddler. The rules are so complicated.

thomthumb
    Free Member

guy i worked with used to have a combover.

On a windy day, sat in the passenger seat of a car, the manager who was driving managed to close the electric window trapping the flap of hair! 😯

wish i’d been there

binners

Facial hair is a no-no with a big baldy bonce! You look like you’ve got your head on upside down

Clippers are the most liberating thing ever. Unless you’re the kind of self-adoring tart in denial about their sexuality bloke who buys Mens Health magazine, then grooming is something that happens to teenage girls on the internet, and dogs.

So being able to clipper your head on a Monday morning and know that’s your haircare routine taken care of for the next week is perfect! I really don’t know how anyone can be arsed with owt else*

* See Mens Health disclaimer above 😉

on a windy day and this curved carpet of hair was gently hinging up and down like a haunted trapdoor.

😆

stumpy01

passtherizla – Member
    Don’t think it’ll be very long before the clippers come out for me too…. Very sad.

I can feel hair there, but when the barber shows me the back of my hair when they finish, a little bit of my dignity shuffles off.

Genius!

loddrik
    Free Member

Clippers are the most liberating thing ever. Unless you’re the kind of self-adoring tart in denial about their sexuality bloke who buys Mens Health magazine, then grooming is something that happens to teenage girls on the internet, and dogs.

It’s a sad day that I agree with anything Binners has to say, but he’s damn right.

oddjob
    Free Member

As a relative newbie in the having no hair world.

Any recommendations for sunblock to use on thinning hair. It’s clipped pretty short #2 maybe, but there is still a fair amount of hair and it makes a right bloomin’ mess with sun cream.

binners

oddjob – hats are your friend. Though remember the wise words of Mr P Docherty….

He knows there’s fewer more distressing sights than that
    Of an Englishman in a baseball cap

cinnamon_girl

Its only hair ffs. Think of poor girls and hair loss. By far much worse.

Wise words there hora.

I’m losing my hair due to health issues and am distraught that I may need to wear a wig at some point. 🙁

oddjob
    Free Member

I have plenty of hats, but sometimes it’s not appropriate or convenient.

Moses

Oddjob: mostly bowlers with razor-steel rims, I guess?

Clippers set at 0 for me, these days.
    Over the last 15 years the clip length has been steadily shortening. I may get to the wet shave soon. I like it short, & my daughter likes the feel of head stubble so I get the occasional head massage too.

zbonty

Hora, not so sure about your examples but the original quote was genius!

The best comb-over i’ve seen belonged to a BA cabin crew chap in his 50s. Amazingly crafted, blow dried number that ‘leviated’ above his head.

Honestly, you could have put your hand under it from the front without touching his head or the hair. Quite amazing to behold.

longmover
    Free Member

The first time was when I got out of the shower and saw that the hair at the front of my head was shorter than the hair at the back. It has grown out again and looks a bit rediculous, when I get home from work next week I am going to buy some clippers and be rid.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Clippers are awesome.

I come at it from the other side, full head of hair and my father has a lovely full head only slightly grey(aged 69) and both my grandfathers were all still well equipped on that front when they popped-it.
    But I’m from the other side. I can’t style it as it’s too thick, too straight, I have a double crown and a ‘cowslip’ (is that what it’s called) on one side of my fringe.
    Tried ‘curtains’ with hair to lower ear length in the 90’s but didn’t work. I know I’d be a pillock if I went to pony tail length so started on no. 3 length shaving.
    Swiftly got fed up of paying £4.50 to the local ex-con when I lived back in London to cut my hair every 2-3 weeks so got some clippers from Argos for £30 10 years ago. Still on original pair and never looked back.
    Jeffing Bargain they were!
    The ladeez like to stroke freshly cut (grade 1) hair as it’s so soft!

molgrips
    Free Member

About 25 or so I did it. I would have loved longish floppy surfer dude hair, being blonde, but it would have looked shite anyway because it was always incredibly thin even when I had it. Started to shift from the top rather than the back age about 18 or so, became noticeable at 25 and my colleages persuaded me to take it all off.

That was when I realised you have to play the hand you’re dealt, something fashion-conscious women would do well to bear in mind.

cinnamon_girl

I’ll say it again – embrace your hair if you have it. 🙂

messiah
    Free Member

I went from nasty student dreadlocks to a no.1 for my graduation when I was 25… my tutor thought it was hilarious when I walked on stage to pick up my certificate with no hair… F-me that was a long time ago 😥

Longest my hair has been since was about an inch… clippers with no guard and the odd wet shave is how I do it now.

P.S. – My dreadlocks frequently had bits of stick and leaves in them… what was I thinking 😐

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Mine started sliding backwards at age 18. Had hair to my waist before then.

Gave it a No1 with the clippers when I was 23. Been doing it ever since and have the perfect male pattern baldness.

Just realised I’ve been a slaphead for more than half my life now.

Wouldn’t go back. So much quicker and easier.

Hat in summer, hat in winter though.

marsdenman
    Free Member

4 here, my hair is not going, it’s just relocating…
    Whenever I get my haircut, the ‘view round the back’ always sees the mirror being placed at ‘waist level’ – this tells me i’m also developing a bald spot…
    I figure it’ll be some time this time this year when I get all ‘removed’.
    Actually, in for a cut tomorrow, might even go shorter than normal – a test run 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh and grade 1 really makes wearing a helmet more comfortable.

vonplatz
    Free Member

This is all real STW stuff of legend. A bunch of middle aged guys trying to make each other feel better about each other’s hair loss.

I’m glad to see that (nearly) everyone seems to accept their slapheadedness well enough though. I honestly hate the fact the fact that I’m well on the way to baldness. I always remind myself how many Hollywood leading men are bald and the answer is pretty much none except a few action hero types that generally make films more marketed at men anyway.

I’d like to go with clippers but when i doI look like I’ve just escaped from Belsen due to thin face and very pale complexion.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nobody laughs at a bald bloke (I’ve been using clippers for years, I’m thin on top) but everyone laughs at a bald bloke that tries to cover it up

THIS
    Though i have a full head of hair so not experiences it personally…yet

rossi46
    Free Member

Iv’e had no hair pretty much since i was 21- I cut all the ‘excess’ off every week with a pair of clippers. With no attachment- that’s a number 0 i guess 😆
    Why? I’d look pretty stupid otherwise and earn then nickname ‘Friar Tuck’ 😆 😆

Helmet hair? What’s that then? 😉

Hat in summer, hat in winter though

Yeah- this +1. A sunburnt head (or frostbite!) is no fun….

metalheart
    Free Member

I got my first ‘skinhead’ when I was 14 or 15 (t’was the fashion back when I were t’lad)…

Got my first proper all over #1 when I was about 33 or 34 (which is around when my bald spot was no longer deniable), it was a very liberating day, I haven’t looked back since.

Got clippers as got fed up paying money for a 2 minute low skilled job that it turns out I could easily do myself… especially when I binned the guards :mrgreen:

In all honesty I’d prefer the choice to have hair but ircc correctly it was never particularly well behaved and refused to do what I told it to do anyways.

What does piss me off is the way that it appears to have redistributed itself over my shoulders and back. Nasty…

davidjey
    Free Member

To echo all the above – get some clippers and embrace never going to the hairdresser again.

This time of year is not the best time to take the plunge though, as severe hair removal may leave you with interesting tanlines when you reveal scalp that’s not normally exposed to the sun!

oddjob
    Free Member

I wish I still had a good head of hair (well at least full head of hair) but I don’t and I can live with that.

In reality nobody really cares except those who are losing or have lost the hair.

messiah
    Free Member

Slaphead PSA.

Remember your sunscrean folks 😉

oddjob
    Free Member

Oddly enough, there was a link to this article on cyclingnews.com earlier
    Clicky

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d like to go with clippers but when i doI look like I’ve just escaped from Belsen due to thin face and very pale complexion.

IMO it looks better on skinny blokes.

hmanchester
    Free Member

If one is starting to thin, and on balance you’d prefer it didn’t, then minoxidil is well worth using.

Worked wonders for me. Put my date with the clippers off by 10 years I reckon.

robdob
    Free Member

I am 36 and I still have to get my hair thinned every time I get it cut as its so thick and luxurious.

You can all boast about saving money on haircuts but you all wish you had my hair really.

And I don’t need glasses either. 😉

sweepy
    Free Member

I always remind myself how many Hollywood leading men are bald and the answer is pretty much none except a few action hero types that generally make films more marketed at men anyway.

Kelly Brook shags baldies- that’s good enough for me 🙂

acidchunks

I started last year but have been very slack on the upkeep.

Most of all I miss my bushy side burns 🙁

woody2000

I’ve had a 1 or shorter all over since about 21, always had crap hair!

I think Jason Statham is a good example of a proper Hollywood baldie. No messing, no covering up, just embracing the slap. I like to think he stole his look from me 😉

Me

Him

binners

Most All baldy bonces (myself included) would love to think that we look like Jason Statham. The reality however, is this…

That’s you, that is 😀

woody2000

Ha 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Slapheads. When did you decide enough was enough?’ is closed to new replies.