Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Slackline Curious
  • iwluap

Hi all, got a couple of adventurous kids that I think would love a crack at slacklining so have been thinking about setting something up in the back garden. Seem to be able to get a line for not too much, in case it is not a hit. I’ll be having a go too!

We only have 1 tree suitable for one end of the line. Anyone got any advice on what to do with the other? There is a wall, so maybe a bracket drilled in or a ground anchor (big cork screw) with the line over a tree stump (got some rounds that haven’t been chopped yet).

Thoughts on an upper line for balance, to make it easier/more enjoyable for the kids?

southcoaststeve
    Free Member

I put in dead mans anchors at each end and built trestles to take the line over, gives me 2 heights, adults / kids, and when packed away, nothing to be seen but 2 shackles at ground level.
    bit of a faff though, had to dig down at least 3 feet.
    google “slackline without trees” and there are some good examples to be found.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s bloody difficult. 🤣

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grahamt1980

You have reminded me to set the ground anchors this weekend.
    You can get screw in one’s and some stake one’s (but those need solid ground to stay in). I did play with the idea of concreteing some metal stakes in but will stick with the ground anchors.
    As said above it’s bloody hard work. I can stand on it for a few seconds now

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve only ever set one up with trees, so I can’t help there but bear in mind there’s a lot of force going through it, and you really don’t want it pinging out when you’re walking on it. This is especially true if you’re using a 2″ rachet strap one, they’re pretty heavy and sharp.

Not sure what kit you’re looking at but I’ve used a couple and much prefer to tension a 1″ line using karabiners rather than a 2″ ratchet. It’s a bit trickier to set up (but you’ll get the hang of it soon enough), you won’t get it as tight and it’s possibly a little harder to get the hang of, but once you do it’s a lot nicer to walk on, and more fun too.

I was never brilliant (and I’ve not had mine out in ages) but I could walk forwards and backwards, pivot, crouch and I was starting to get the hang of surfing (which is much better on a dynamic line with no ratchet) when I fell off and borked my foot and got scared.

iwluap

Thanks for the replies. I’ve no doubt it’s tricky, but it looks like it could be fun. Or hugely frustrating!?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Very popular with climbers, so if you dont get good info here then try on ukbouldering or ukc.

Also, I think the idea of an extra line above for the kids’ balance would defeat the purpose of it and probably get them using bad technique. Like stabilisers on a bike..

think

flyingmonkeycorps

It’s awesome fun, but you do have to get past the ‘THIS IS STUPID AND IMPOSSIBLE’ stage.

Top tip – don’t look at your feet, keep your head up. And a slacker line feels weirder at first, but is actually easier than a tighter one.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Slackline Curious’ is closed to new replies.