Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Slack lines.
  • overbikedagain
    Free Member

Any good for exercise/fitness? Cheap on sports pursuit ATM.

sas
    Free Member

I’ve got one. It’s good fun, and meant to be good for building up core strength.

overbikedagain
    Free Member

Looks hard…is it?:-)

sas
    Free Member

It took me about three weeks to get the hang of it, following the advice in the Gibbon intro video:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TzERkdNoyw[/video]

It’s pretty frustrating at first, but it just takes loads of practice. A bit like learning to ride a bike :). Make sure you’ve got some good trees/anchors- you can get several tonnes of horizontal force going through the line.

overbikedagain
    Free Member

Cool ta…..I’ll get one I think

woody2000

I’ve bought one from SP, mainly for messing about in the garden/park with the kids (or for post BBQ drunken adult fun!). Sadly, no palm trees and sunshine in my garden though 🙂

AlexSimon

Christmas present sorted – I was waiting for them to come back on again.
    Thanks for the heads-up overbikedagain.

My only experience is a quick go while on holiday – good fun as a family.

prawny

Now, bit of a thread cross, but that’s reminded me of a fantastic documentary me and the mrs watched about some famous climber slacklining in yosemite. Dean something, great film.

I wouldn’t mind one of them, be good fun in the summer.

woody2000

Dean Potter prawny. I couldn’t watch it all, I get the sweats when I see people doing that kind of thing!

[video]http://vimeo.com/56298775[/video]

nedrapier

prawny – “Sketchy Andy” is another one worth watching. Proper nutter. Not called “Sketchy” for nothing…

prawny

woody2000 – Member
    Dean Potter prawny. I couldn’t watch it all, I get the sweats when I see people doing that kind of thing!

That’s the feller, to be honest, I think I had to google whether he survived or not to watch the end. Balls of steel, brains of butter.

brakes
    Free Member

saw some guys set one of these up in the park in the summer and then proceeded to talk about doing backflips on it whilst eating ice cream.
    they ‘tested’ its strength by pushing up and down on it but never actually got on.
    put me right off.

overbikedagain
    Free Member

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3MdDobR65Oo
    This could get tricky……

nedrapier

Our neighbours’ bit of garden is open to ours and they have a slack line up over the summer (tension backed off when not in use). Good for a larf for a bit after work, nice activity to go with a BBQ. kids Ive seen on it love it Have beer, have a wobble. It’s quite a short stretch, but all the longer runs introduce significant jeopardy – drops, rose bushes, vegetable patches and associated vengeance from her who grows the veggies.

It’s a nice kind of exercise. It’s quite hard work, mentally and physically, and can get knackering quickly, but then you let someone else have a go, stand about for a bit, have a couple of slugs of beer.

It can be quite addictive, especially with some spoken or unspoken competetion from like-minded friends. Everytime you come off, you want to get straight back on again – “I was doing really well till I came off!”

nedrapier

I would buy one if next door didn’t have one.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I fashioned one at camping out of a ratchet strap and the tow bars of my car and van. Is this acceptable or just down right stupid?

overbikedagain
    Free Member

I think that’s all it is….. And a lot of marketing bs

xiphon
    Free Member

We have a slackline which is often kept in the boot of the car – quite fun to string up between some trees for a “lunchtime wobble” 🙂

hammyuk
    Free Member

overbikedagain – Member
    I think that’s all it is….. And a lot of marketing bs

They have a different weave and fabric composition to take the bouncing, etc.
    A ratchet will do the job but won’t flex the same and may bite you quite badly if it breaks.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Slack lines.’ is closed to new replies.