Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Slack All-Mountain/Trail Center/XC bike – what to get!?
  • skimpy
    Free Member

So, here is my predicament. I have a freeride/downhill bike which I love and it has done me proud all over the UK and Canada and I won’t be getting rid of it.

I also have a XC bike (Commencal Super 4) which I got a few months back but I’m just not feeling it. It feels to upright for commuting to downhills and awkward over jumps. So, I am looking for something a bit slacker for the downhills and jumping (trail centre stylee) but also something I can get the saddle up my arse and do a climb on.

This may well be an impossible combination but I am after some advice as I don’t really know this range of bikes/frames. It will need to be 26″ as I have lots of spares.

Thanks in advance.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nukeproof Mega?

akira

Commencal hip hop or that new Ghost short travel slack one, or maybe Stumpy Ego.
    Ghost AMR riot is what I was thinking of.

saxabar
    Free Member

Lots and lots to choose from, but I have a Saracen Ariel. A very fun bike, inexpensive and ace for thrashing about on.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Santa cruz blur tr.

Kuco

Loving my Meta SL.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Been using my 2013 enduro for everything from 14 miles to work or bike park Wales
    Seems to be almost a one bike does all just not sure about the sticky winter mud/ clay we get and prob return to my winter ht

Bregante

Banshee Spitfire V2?

Never ridden one but I do like the sound of them.

ecopan87
    Free Member

Hi there, I am selling my Orange Blood frame which builds up into a great all mountain machine, take a look : ) http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-clearout-orange-blood-chris-king-hope-mrp-x-fusion-hi-lo-fox

colournoise

Depending on your target bike weight if you have one, Cotic Rocket? Certainly slack and jumpable. Can be built to about 29/30lb pretty easily. Demoed one and it felt like it climbed petty well, certainly as well as my burly hardtail.

tomhoward

Lapierre zesty.

kinger

My Blur Tr frame in the classifieds 🙂

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Cube stereo

crush83
    Free Member

Knolly chilcotin

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Titus El Guapo with CCDB air

prezet
    Free Member

Transition Covert/Bandit.

banks
    Free Member

Transition Covert – got medium going mail in profile.

Trekster

The one on the front page?
    http://merida-bikes.com/en_gb/bike/2013/8/MTB/One-Sixty+1

I feel a few demos coming up in the new year!

jimmy

would say yeti asr5 but believe it is no more, to be replaced by something 27.5. I shall be riding mine ’til it breaks or I do.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My Five seems to tick all those boxes. Its a great frame – bought mine to see if it lived up to all the hype and it does…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

That Ghost Riot looks the bizz

euain

Pivot Mach 5.7 – seems to do everything I can throw at it.. climbs very well, light, great over the bumps and jumps..

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Yeti ASR5a/c (or the SC alternative Tr/TrC). 5″ travel. Long. Low. Slack. Light. Near perfect UK bike (with 26″ wheels).

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Twenty-odd posts and no-one’s said it yet!!!
    Orange Five.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder – Member
    My Five seems to tick all those boxes. Its a great frame – bought mine to see if it lived up to all the hype and it does…

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

OOPS, sorry DBW 😳

Yet1man

Hi Skimpy.

I’ve got a Yeti ASR5 Carbon for sale in medium and (as others have also suggested) reckon it fits your description perfectly. Designed to be that ‘do it all’ bike, capable of everything from efficient XC riding to thrashing around a trail centre. I’ve even done the BC Race which included Squamish & Whistler bike park on mine (not the one I’m selling) and thought it was the perfect bike for it all.
    If your interested, drop me an email and I’ll send you more details. (I may even be interested in a part ex for your Super4 frame ?)

Cheers

Michael

skimpy
    Free Member

Thanks for all the feedback, always good to hear what other people think. As I seem to be blinded by Commencal and started reading ALOT of reviews I have actually gone for a Meta SL VIP, picked it up today. I managed to get a really good deal on the frame (brand new) with Fox Kashima shock and just need to set about building it up now!

Kuco – thanks for the suggestion.

Yet1man – sorry I didn’t see your post in time otherwise I would have been very interested in your offer. The Super4 will be up for sale in the next couple of days but drop me a line if you’d like some details and pics before it goes on “general release”.

Thanks again for everyones input!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

last minute…
    Find one of the now discontinued Blur LT or LTc’s slack but very well balanced with 160mm forks and the rear feels bottomless. Both the Al & C build light for the size of bike and are great to ride. There will be some great 26″ bargains coming up.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Loving my Santa Cruz Blur LTc. Sold my beloved 456ti and not so beloved 2010 Enduro for one bike to do it all, XC, uk trail centres and Alp trips.

So dear, the blur gas ticked the first two boxes, only the Alps box left to tick and that’s in 2014.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Yeti asr-5 and Blur tr are exactly what you describe. I have the Blur and it’s amazing, get the alloy one though

doug_basqueMTB.com

I tested the Meta SL last year and really, really liked it. I´m sure you´re going to love it 🙂

moniex
    Free Member

I am about to put my husbands 2011 enduro evo frame up for sale (the black and yellow one with the coil shock). Excellent condition, barely a mark on it. Looking for £530. Will include headset and direct mount front mech. It’s a medium.

Email in profile if it’s of interest to you at all.

Simone

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Transition bandit? If you want something that has a bit more DH capable/jumpy/rugged then a Covert.

righog
    Free Member

Moniex…does your husband Know ?

bigrich

stumpjumper evo?

catvet
    Free Member

Kona Process 153 is very highly rated

fudge9202
    Free Member

+1 for the Bandit

ianv
    Free Member

The enduro evo frame would work. I use an evo for everything other than dh, but even as a dh bike its pretty capable.

For something with less travel maybe the YT industries play. Looks like a properly fun little bike.

http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/en/Bikes/Play

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Did you guys not spot that he’s already bought a bike? I guess people just read the first post and then reply…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Slack All-Mountain/Trail Center/XC bike – what to get!?’ is closed to new replies.