Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Slack 29er HT for 120mm Forks
  • anysize
    Free Member

I know there are a fair few HT 29ers that can handle a 120mm fork (e.g. Yelli, Solaris, FF29 etc), but they all seem to be optimised for 100mm (or less). So, are there any that were actually designed around a 120mm fork?

wwaswas

Titus Fireline (and the new on-one Aluminium version)

Kinesis Sync

there’s others.

anysize
    Free Member

Thanks. I’d prefer not to go for Ti though (too expensive for something that’s basically an experiment) and something that’s actually available now (preferably in green) would be ideal. Don’t want much, do I 🙂

Clobber
    Free Member

Singular Buzzard

Yetiman
    Free Member

My new Ragley Big Wig is proving to be a lot of fun. The HA isn’t overly slack, at 68 degrees, but it feels playful, and it’s great at descending, so they’ve done something right with the design.

z1ppy

Voodoo Bizango, Kona Taro (or Honzo), Trek Stache, Whyte 929, Ragley Bigwig though it sounds like you being a overly fussy, not sure why a bike with a 100-120mm recommendation, would have issue @ 120mm. As such that would allow cheaper options such as Pinnacle Ramin, & Genesis High Latitude
    Soon to be release On One Parkwood & Stanton Sherpa (comes in a lovely green)

robbonzo
    Free Member

My Solaris has 120mm forks on it and feels totally optimised! Dont rule it out..

anysize
    Free Member

Thanks. I had a go on a mate’s FF29 with 120mm forks (which he was looking to sell). I liked the green colour 🙂 but felt that the centre of gravity was a bit high with the forks at the “extreme” (felt very perched-on-top), which has put me off frames that can “handle” 120mm. But maybe that was just a problem with the FF29. I also felt that it was a bit steep (and would have been even steeper at 100mm). I reckon it would be good (for me) at 120mm with an angle adjusting headset, but I think the fully integrated headset (bearings drop straight into the frame) rules that out.

I’ve got a Rev fork that can be reduced from 140mm to 120mm (but no lower), so would prefer a frame only option. I guess I could compromise on the colour though 🙂

wwaswas

the FF29 is designed as a race bike – it has steep angles.

This will not be true for other 29ers designed for 100-120mm forks.

I’d look at the geometry. not lump them all in together.

egb81
    Free Member

Zealous Division. 68deg head angle, 100-130mm fork, super short chainstays.

warns74
    Free Member

Clockwork?

mattjg
    Free Member

I ride my Yelli at 120mm, I have never noticed it to be sub-optimal.

Cheezpleez

I have a Buzzard and it’s great. Optimised for going down but surprisingly good at techy climbing, though a bit heavy (as I’ve built it) for all-day XC. If you’re after something fun, I’d recommend it or something with similar geo – Yelli, Quarterhorse, Honzo, Taro, etc

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Slack 29er HT for 120mm Forks’ is closed to new replies.