Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Skyline – Full loop
  • Carpediem
    Free Member

Hey! Going to try the Skyline tomorrow 😯 at Afan.Any usefull tips / hints.

backhander
    Free Member

Enjoy all that forest road!
    Not my fav route, better off with W2 and a cheeky loop of penhydd in the middle!

br
    Free Member

About half way around, take the short-cut on the right – you're not missing much.

mrmo
    Free Member

to be honest and i go against the grain on this Skyline is by far my favorite route. Far more out there feeling. I find the other routes get far to busy, but because no one does the whole skyline you get time to yourself.

Skyline isn't that hard physically, just remember that it is a long walk if you break your bike and there aren't any pubs/shops if you get hungry/thirsty.

We ride Whites Level in the morning, then half the Skyline pm. The first shortcut is called the July trail. There's a second short cut if you want to go a bit further.

The full Skyline just goes on and on and on….. not all that technical in the mid section and loads of long fire road links.

Carpediem
    Free Member

BR: Is that on point 36 on the PDF download?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Take plenty of water and food.

As boring as people say the full loop is at least your not stuck in an office.

fadda

+1 for w2. The full skyline does kinda go on a bit. If you really want to do Skyline, try the July shortcut which means you then have the time/energy to do the climb all over again to do Whites level. The "Energy" section on Whites (new last year, i think) is rather nice…

forge197
    Free Member

I like the Skyline it's not back to back singletrack but a long ride with singletrack and fireroad, you will need to take supplies, if you approach it with that mindset it's great, quite epic feeling.

TomHill
    Free Member

Was there on Sat, with vague intentions of doing the full loop. Some of it was closed. That, and arriving waay later than we planned, led to Plan B. Took a shortcut (sounds like the one suggested above), eventually rejoined Whites Level, rode back up the climb and did all the WL descent. Not quite the epic we had planned, but probably a better smiles/miles ratio.

Trails are in great condition. V jealous that you'll be out tomorrow.

muggomagic

did it once it the most horrendous conditions. it wrecked the bikes and us. the same group (minus me) went back the year after and did it in good conditions and said it was great.

if the conditions are bad stick to the shorter routes. Going back in May and hope to ride it in brilliant sunshine with a tail wind 🙂

Zoolander
    Free Member

The last descent is awesome. If it were me though I'd take the July shortcut and then use the extra time to do whites level, as it cuts out a load of fireroad and adds in some of my favourite bits of the whole of afan. Was up there last week and did the skyline( with shortcut) and there was still snow up the top , was bloody freezing up there as well so you'd do well to take more kit than you think necessary when you start! Have a good one 🙂

Carpediem
    Free Member

Thanks.I Do Whites once or Twice a month, so looking to try the bid Daddy this time.Weather's fab tomorrow.I was out today and it looked good.Hardly any mud around now.

Short cut option does look good though… we'll see.

br
    Free Member

Carpe

Yes, thats the one.

TBH you can't miss it – you are on a huge downhill fireroad (but no trees last time we were there), and its just there, in the open.

You can also miss out 1-9 and take the fire-road to the start of the ST

mikey74
    Free Member

I did it a few times, the first time being on the hottest days of the year, and the second time on one of the worst days of the year, and went for a long time thinking it was a waste of time. A friend and myself went there a while ago and thought we'd give it another shot and we both really enjoyed it. There are actually some cracking sections you miss out on if you take the short cut. There are alot of fire road sections but they weren't as bad as I remembered and you can use them as an easy way to get miles under your wheels.
    I agree with the other sentiments about being prepared though: Make sure your bike is in full working order and that you have enough spares, food, water, clothing etc.

Oh, and I think the last decent is the finest there.

Scootash
    Free Member

Did it on Saturday. Ignored the trail diversions as I've never ridden Afan before and they looked like they were pointing completely the wrong way. (last time I followed a trail diversion was at Thetford and the diversion lead to nothing, so I ignore them now.) Got round in 5 hours.

Some excellent singletrack, some laborious doubletrack uphill into the wind,
    but it is supposed to be an epic. Would happily do it again. Watch out for the snowy bit. There are also 3 spellings of Excalib[o|a|u]r.

The final descent is excellent. The ascent of 2000m is a lie by a long way, it's more like 900m.

rOcKeTdOg

do not do it on a very hot day in May and run out of water 1/2 round as your mate assures you we have not missed the turn for the short cut…..that drink in the cafe never tasted so good, i didn't pee for about 5 hours afterwards

Ti29er
    Free Member

No short cuts and take an energy bar or two as it can take 3hrs (well, that's how long I took over it as I pootled for some of it with two other slower riders until the driving rain moved me on).
    It can get quite exposed up there, and there is a feeling as previously noted of being "out there"

Take a camera too as the views are good and varied (it's quite unlike Whites and the Wall) & report back here with images and your take on the route!

Philby

Worth doing the whole route IMO – parts of it do seem very remote and some of the scenery is lovely. As above take plenty of supplies.

Carpediem
    Free Member

Legs are aching just thinking about it now!!2.5L hydro pack,some sarnies a banana or two and some chocolate should do it . . . the thought of an ice cold magners in the drop off will keep us going on the home run

billyboulders
    Free Member

Couldnt be @rsed to read beyond 2 or 3 answers to your post but FWIW I agree with mrmo and I reckon tomorrow be the perfect day for it if it's weather like today. True theres alot of fire road but there is some sweet ST that is alot lesser used becouse not so many people go out that far. Good ride, take your time enjoy the epic scenery. Perfect for a sunny spring day. Enjoy. 🙂

inbred853

I agree with some of the above, singletrack joined up by long sections of fire road, I would rather do Whites level x2. Saying that, nice scenery even when I did it early Jan 09 and it was bloody freezing, coupled with a extended hogmanay, I suffered.

glenp
    Free Member

I really liked it too. Obviously if you go round expecting it to be something it isn't then you're going to feel let down. It is exactly what it claims to be – a nice long ride with great views and some nice singletrack mixed in. I got round on 2 litres of water, but was very much ready for a drink when we got back. Allow plenty of time because there are some nice places to stop and take in the air.

Carpediem
    Free Member

Woop Woop!! Just getting kit together now, time fore some breakfast,then upwards and onwards.Thanks for the advice everyone 8) 😀

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The Skyline is by far the best trail at Afan IMO, not just up and straight back down again like the rest, that said W2 is fun.

As for supplies, common sense really, water, some proper food and some jelly babies or similar and an emergency energy gel should you bonk, but whatever you do don't go loaded up like a Sherpa you won't appreciate the extra weight. (some people I see at Afan look like they are going exploring for a fortnight)

GaryLake
    Free Member

Seriously, W2…

rOcKeTdOg

Carpediem
    Free Member

Just weighed my sack (Sounds well dodgy,that ) anyhow.. 7.8lb.That's water, a few sarnies and chocs,spare tube,pump and Alan Keys.

rOcKeTdOg

No space blanket or flares? 😯

sofatester
    Free Member

As for supplies, common sense really, water, some proper food and some jelly babies or similar and an emergency energy gel should you bonk, but whatever you do don't go loaded up like a Sherpa you won't appreciate the extra weight. (some people I see at Afan look like they are going exploring for a fortnight)

😆

I know exactly what your talking about, seen some seriously big bags going up the sheep track. Gore-Tex jackets, "riding trousers" and the compulsory camelback HAWG bursting at the seams!

Skyline is a two bottle and a Malt loaf ride. A great ride at that, have some of you forgotten how to pedal? 😉

sofatester
    Free Member

Carpe diem – Don't forget the spare tyre and mech hanger. Plus 2 meters of cable outer and some extra shoes.

Your riding the "back country" after all, anything could happen 😈

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Skyline is a two bottle and a Malt loaf ride.

That's about right although I hate malt loaf, a sarnie and a bit of refrigerator cake or flap jack is what I normally take, a bottle on the frame and one in my jersey pocket.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Its worth it for the views 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Isn't it only about 30 miles!?

Never bothered with all of it myself, W2 is good though, although the 'joining' bit is a bit crap, and if you go to the other centre to do a lap of Penhydd it's a very dull 10-15 minutes or so!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Isn't it only about 30 miles!?

27 as I recall.

other centre to do a lap of Penhydd it's a very dull 10-15 minutes or so!

Put yer willy away.

mikey74
    Free Member

But there is about 2000m of climbing, I seem to remember. Screw all this multiple bottle malarky: Just take a decent size camelbak

njee20
    Free Member

A lap of Penhydd has been suggested above, I was merely saying that if you do that, there's a torturously dull 15 minutes from W2 to the other centre, and back again!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

A lap of Penhydd has been suggested above, I was merely saying that if you do that, there's a torturously dull 15 minutes from W2 to the other centre, and back again!

LOL, sorry I thought you meant doing a lap of the Penhyyd 15 mins. 😳

njee20
    Free Member

No, that would be faintly absurd!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Skyline – Full loop’ is closed to new replies.